new article about Yuna and her mom | Page 6 | Golden Skate

new article about Yuna and her mom

Personally, I think we are focusing on the wrong quote from this article.

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2004021114318&path_dir=20040211

What I got out of the piece was this:

Kim Hye-kyoung, an international executive of the Skating Federation, praises her, saying, “Yeon-a could place in high order even though she joins in an international championship right now. Her slender and long-legged figure stands in comparison with western skaters.”

And that's why Kim is world champion and all those short dumpy U.S. ladies are waddling along in her wake. :agree: :laugh:

But wait! Didn't Caroline Zhang shoot up to a gazelle-like 5'6" this year? ;) :cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Personally, I think we are focusing on the wrong quote from this article.

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2004021114318&path_dir=20040211

What I got out of the piece was this:

And that's why Kim is world champion and all those short dumpy U.S. ladies are waddling along in her wake. :agree: :laugh:

But wait! Didn't Caroline Zhang shoot up to a gazelle-like 5'6" this year? ;) :cool:

I saw the pics from camp and she looked taller than Mirai who has also grown.
Maybe Caroline will become the new rink bully and start head-butting other skaters. "Sweet Caroline," indeed! :biggrin:

szidon

On the Ice
Here is the link, originally posted here by Evangeline back on the second page of this topic.

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2004021114318&path_dir=

Actually I was stunned when I compared the original article and the translated article into English.
(original article: http://english.donga.com/srv/k2srv.php3?biid=2004021114318)

Maybe posters who don't understand Korean will not sense the difference of the tones between the articles, but it's obvious to me. The original article does not deliver the image Yu-na was a unhappy victimized child. But the quoted sentences in English themselves left an strong impression like that.

Plus, the passages Janetfan cited was NOT quoted in the original article. There is no quotation mark. It means it's not the exact sentences Yu-na talked to the reporter. (Articles are unsually translated by a translator not by the reporters in Korea)

For sure, Yu-na must have had desires to skip the training and hang out with friends from time to time, as babyalligator said. That time when the article was reported was a period of storm and stress to Yu-na. Everybody knows what the puberty is like. ;) But I'm just a little bit frustrated a poorly translated article seems to spread a piece of incorrect information on Yu-na's childhood.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
For sure, Yu-na must have had desires to skip the training and hang out with friends from time to time, as babyalligator said. That time when the article was reported was a period of storm and stress to Yu-na. Everybody knows what the puberty is like. ;) But I'm just a little bit frustrated a poorly translated article seems to spread a piece of incorrect information on Yu-na's childhood.

And I think sharing a correct information with FS fans would be a thing to be acknowledged not sneered.
Nobody is sneering.

But I have to ask: why are people getting so defensive? If the unhappy childhood was to be the truth, would it somehow destroy your image of Kim? There are millions of unhappy children all over the world, and yes, some of them unhappy because they are / were raised by overambitious parents who to some point try to realise their own dreams of fame through their children. And I bet that there are a whole lot of figure skaters, dancers and other athletes who probably think that they had miserable childhoods.

Slutskaya was mentioned in this thread, that she hated skating for a long time. Does it make her skating less enjoyable, her achievements less valueable?

I am not saying that the article is completely right, or that Kim had an unhappy childhood - I don't know nearly enough about her and her family to judge that. But what's with all the people insisting that everything was peachy, that the mother was selfless and always loving, that Kim only had minor teenage issues concerning discipline...? It's like you are desperately trying to hang on to the image of a pure wholesome girl, a child prodigy, matured beyond her years, good and well-behaved, never complaining, dutiful, loving parents and family, always striving to become a better person and skater. I actually prefer to see real people.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thank you Medusa. Yuna's interview from 5 years ago actually makes me see how far she has come in terms of almost everything. She has showcased something she couldn't do without love for the sport, and the fact that she said she hated skating years ago doesn't negate that.

szidon

On the Ice
Nobody is sneering.

But I have to ask: why are people getting so defensive? If the unhappy childhood was to be the truth, would it somehow destroy your image of Kim? There are millions of unhappy children all over the world, and yes, some of them unhappy because they are / were raised by overambitious parents who to some point try to realise their own dreams of fame through their children. And I bet that there are a whole lot of figure skaters, dancers and other athletes who probably think that they had miserable childhoods.

Slutskaya was mentioned in this thread, that she hated skating for a long time. Does it make her skating less enjoyable, her achievements less valueable?

I am not saying that the article is completely right, or that Kim had an unhappy childhood - I don't know nearly enough about her and her family to judge that. But what's with all the people insisting that everything was peachy, that the mother was selfless and always loving, that Kim only had minor teenage issues concerning discipline...? It's like you are desperately trying to hang on to the image of a pure wholesome girl, a child prodigy, matured beyond her years, good and well-behaved, never complaining, dutiful, loving parents and family, always striving to become a better person and skater. I actually prefer to see real people.

Did I say Yu-na was a perfect child? Never!
I just pointed out translation of the article was not that correct.

I'm rather curious to know why some people don't want to know more about detailed facts and even try to prohibit from correcting the errors althought all the information they know came from 1~2 articles. :eek:hwell:

cosmos

On the Ice
Nobody is sneering.

But I have to ask: why are people getting so defensive? If the unhappy childhood was to be the truth, would it somehow destroy your image of Kim? There are millions of unhappy children all over the world, and yes, some of them unhappy because they are / were raised by overambitious parents who to some point try to realise their own dreams of fame through their children. And I bet that there are a whole lot of figure skaters, dancers and other athletes who probably think that they had miserable childhoods..

I am sure I know far more than you about YuNa. But, I never know how happy or unhappy shw was. She never said she was unhappy. However, Her 'unhappy childhood' is so easily spoken here. It is not right and fair. Sure, she said she hated skating practice (I wonder who would like daily skating practice, though.). That doesn't necessarily mean she was unhappy. (Maybe, your unhappy and my unhappy have different meanings). Most Korean kids are pushed by moms to study something. Are all Korean kids unhappy? Maybe, compared to kids in US or Germany. But, as I said earlier, her sakting pracrice didn't make her unhappier than other Korean kids. I am almost sure about that. I think the family's financial status (and injuries in later years) caused more unhappiness, but that is just my thought.

Real YuNa's childhood was probably somewhere between the two ends. She wasn't perfect, definitely not. But, she wasn't a unhappy and miserable kid, either.

Naturally, her mom didn't write the book to be criticized. She would be embarrased by the reaction here. In reality, she was never criticized but only praised in Korea. She is particularly praised because she raised YuNa to a great skater with practically no help from the system.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is something from the Korea Times :

Skating Moms vs. Hockey Moms

How do skating moms compare with hockey moms?
Based on Park's experience, skating moms are a little more focused, tougher and goal oriented than hockey moms.
In a joint news conference after her winning the 2009 world championship at the Staples Center, Yu-na said that she would probably not encourage her daughter, if she has one in the future, to be a skater even if she's talented enough.
``I wouldn't do it because being a figure skater is a hard slog and I don't want my daughter, if I ever have one, to become a skater,'' she said.

When it came to expertise in figure skating, Park said she is as knowledgeable as professional figure skaters, saying she ``majored'' in Yu-na and she is her textbook."

Park's remark was construed as her complete understanding of her daughter's physical and psychological conditions in detail and even the small, minor effect of Yu-na's necklace on her performance on ice.

Prof. Jackson said stereotypical skating moms like Yu-na's mother are noteworthy for their single-minded devotion to their children's success.
``Korea already has a strong tradition of mothers actively participating in their children's lives to a degree that many Americans would find obsessive. The skating mom is just a few steps beyond that,'' he said.

After a quick read this sounds neither negative or positive to me.
I would think of cultural differences rather than thinking Yuna's mother is some sort of tyrant. If she seems obsessed with her daughter - it is a mother's right to raise her kid the way she thinks is best. If Yuna says she wouldn't want her own daughter to become a figure skater there could be several reasons for her thinking, but I would tend to believe Yuna's own words.
Everyone is free to their own interpretations.

Here is a link to the entire article:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2009/04/180_42665.html

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
Is there no Mao and Her mom article even better add dad to it. There are so many Yu na said that yu na did this post in the forum.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Is there no Mao and Her mom article even better add dad to it. There are so many Yu na said that yu na did this post in the forum.

Here is an article about Mao and her mother. It says the mother originally wanted Mao and Mai to be ballerinas but when Mao wanted to switch to figure skating the mother supported her decision. A few other facts, Mao's mother was a gymnast and her father a skier - so the family has a background in sports. Here is the link.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20060326a2.html

Last edited:
FWIW, this happens in ballet here (in the USA). Here's an excerpt from a customer review of a book on the ballet world:

Gordon talks about the invisible partner, that of the ballet mother and how these women give up a normal life to give total support to the dancing child. She writes about the bitter rivalries between ballet mothers, which only increases their isolation and loneliness; it's not surprising these women become totally absorbed and obssessed with their children's success in dancing.
http://www.amazon.com/Off-Balance-Real-World-Ballet/dp/0070237700

The writer seems to have a negative take on these obsessive women. But IIRC the US dance critic Arlene Croce once wrote in praise of ballet mothers, without whom there would be no ballerinas. (Unfortunately I can't find that reference.)

Yu-na said that she would probably not encourage her daughter, if she has one in the future, to be a skater even if she's talented enough.

"I wouldn't do it because being a figure skater is a hard slog and I don't want my daughter, if I ever have one, to become a skater,'' she said.

It will be interesting to see if she changes her mind when she becomes a mother.

Spun Silver said:
Gordon talks about the invisible partner, that of the ballet mother and how these women give up a normal life to give total support to the dancing child. She writes about the bitter rivalries between ballet mothers,...

I think cheerleader mothers win the prize. Like the lady in Texas who hired a hit man to murder the mother of her daughter's competitor for a position on the cheer leading team..

Her defense at the trial was, she hoped that the other girl would be so distraught at losing her mother that she would withdraw from the compettion.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think cheerleader mothers win the prize. Like the lady in Texas who hired a hit man to murder the mother of her daughter's competitor for a position on the cheer leading team..
Her defense at the trial was, she hoped that the other girl would be so distraught at losing her mother that she would withdraw from the compettion.

But you are portraying a biased opinion of that mother. Aside from that one little "incident," I heard they were a happy and well adjusted family. Plus there are cultural differences to consider. We are talking about Texas, right? ;)
Last I heard the daughter of the convicted mother plans to raise her daughter as a cheerleader, and in keeping with the family tradition she is keeping her six shooter well oiled. :laugh:

Last edited:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Medusa
But what's with all the people insisting that everything was peachy, that the mother was selfless and always loving, that Kim only had minor teenage issues concerning discipline...? It's like you are desperately trying to hang on to the image of a pure wholesome girl, a child prodigy, matured beyond her years, good and well-behaved, never complaining, dutiful, loving parents and family, always striving to become a better person and skater. I actually prefer to see real people.
I perfectly understand you, but it's just about the facts. We just want to provide correct information while we can. Of course, we can't know everything for sure...
And of course Yuna is not perfect, neither her family is... Actually I never stated she/her family is perfect :)

cosmos
She never said she was unhappy. However, Her 'unhappy childhood' is so easily spoken here. It is not right and fair.
This is just one of the topics of the press. Someone famous just has to have unhappy childhood, because this is more interesting. But that is not necessary true.

jyshin

On the Ice
Tara Lipinski

I've been wondering if anyone has yet to relate Yuna's situation to the Lipinskis.
The following is a quote from the 1994 New York Times article "FIGURE SKATING; Prodigy's Dream Has a Price (link)" about Tara Lipinski.
During training, Pat Lipinski is a strict parent, driving her daughter, communicating with hand signals. One drill requires Tara to land each of her jumps five times in succession. If she misses a jump, she must start again until she gets it right, like a basketball player who must hit consecutive free throws at the end of practice.

I don't think the real issue of this thread is about Yuna's mom or Korean culture, but about having a super talented child in an area that requires early discipline.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think the real issue of this thread is about Yuna's mom or Korean culture, but about having a super talented child in an area that requires early discipline.

Yes, that is a good point. I have read many articles about China's notorious "ping-pong" mothers. And let's not forget how tough England's "polo mums" are supposed to be. There is a well documented case about one child in particular who has been forced to keep the same title "Prince of Wales" for thirty years due to his lacklustre play. Such unimaginable cruelty! But the worst of all are the infamous "Sumo mothers" of Japan who have been known to force feed a child who shows a talent for gluttony at an early age while often depriving his siblings of a balanced diet. But fatness, like greatness demands sacrifice. ;)
Several years ago, in an effort to produce male skaters with a bigger ice presense the Japanese Skating Federation tried to teach a few Sumo wrestlers how to skate. Several Western experts were invited to evaluate the potential of these skating sumos. Among them was Sonia Bianchetti. She later reported this experiment was a total disaster and a waste of her time. However,she never forgot the impression these skating sumos made on her - particularly there futile attempts at landing fully rotated quads. Witnessing this spectacle served as the inspiration for her well known book, "Cracked Ice." ;)

Last edited: