2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

Layfan

Record Breaker
I disagree, I found Kim's program to be the most emotional. Kostner's was the most beautiful and elegant. Sotnikova's had the most fire. Easily deserving of the top 3.

The rest were rather blah in terms of performance or having anything unique.

The only other one that stood out in my mind was Edmunds who looked fresh and youthful and bubbly in her performance.

Agree. Kim's maybe wasn't as intricate as she has been in the past but she is more emotional and feels her music more than ever. She did look more nervous than usual but hey! It's the Olympics. Good for her for skating so well in spite of that. I'm glad Caro scored so well. I feel her performance was the best. I was distracted during Adelina unfortunately! I really want to re watch her. But whether or not you agree with her placement, what a fantastic moment for her to skate so well on home ice.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
It was a great competition until the last two skaters. The judging of Sotnikova and the misfortune of Asada spoilt the whole competition for me. I only hope that Sotnikova won’t win tomorrow because of this ridiculous scoring today.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Plastic? That has to do with skating how? If you made an account just to say this, I feel sorry for you. Lowest of the low.
No, I think daaRia only meant Yuna look kind of...not really fresh, maybe because we've seen her face everywhere. I also have that feeling. Her performance used to make me feel wow, but this year I feel kind of boring, she's great and consistence but I can't sense much fire as I used to. I really live Yulia's freshness, poor her, she is just a kid. I don't like Adelina much but she really did great today, I was impressed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It was a great competition until the last two skaters. The judging of Sotnikova and the misfortune of Asada spoilt the whole competition for me. I only hope that Sotnikova won’t win tomorrow because of this ridiculous scoring today.

Sotnikova will likely not win. But she deserves to be in contention to win.

bonniesin

Rinkside
so julia bombs and right after carolina skates her best SP
adelina knocks it out of the park and mao crumbles

hmmm...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sotnikova and Julia were both overscored in many events this year even that werent in Russia mind you so even those scores arent the perfect barometer of fairness.

Maybe you aren't being objective if you disagree with a skater's score at every competition. However, I do think Julia is overscored but I think the judging panels are trying to reward skaters who go clean and have decent artistry. As far as presenting a program well Adelina is at least in the top 5.

ranjake

Final Flight
God this board gets harsh sometimes. What the person probably meant is that in their view, Yuna’s program was boring, and “plastic” probably means “artificial”.

And btw, I agree, daaRia.

There’s a difference between technical elements/GOE/levels and all that and style. I could hardly watch Sotnikova, for example. To me, some of her positions are ugly
and her overall style is not polished at all. Apparently, I’m not the only one on that either, as per Dick Button’s twitter.

It would be nice if this was a place of varied discussion, not attacks on others’ opinions in an obviously subjective sport.

Was just going to post that Dick Button found Yuna "flat". I found her understated and elegant. Sotnikova was great. I'm very happy for her fans. But I don't understand such high PCS for her...

WinterLily

Rinkside
I disagree, I found Kim's program to be the most emotional. Kostner's was the most beautiful and elegant. Sotnikova's had the most fire. Easily deserving of the top 3.

The only other one that stood out in my mind was Edmunds who looked fresh and youthful and bubbly in her performance.

Totally agree with everything.

Ven

Match Penalty
Christine Brennan (USA Today): "How in the world Sotnikova ended up ahead of Kostner is anyone's guess."

qwertyskates

Medalist
I heard that the "Hollywood looks" category was removed from the PCS just for the Olympics. Shame. I'm sure it lost Gracie a full ten points. It is probably a conspiracy against her.

:laugh: Well, she did score 68+ with two wonky jumps, so might have been those Hollywood looks...

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
As much as I like Lipnitskaia, I'm okay with her not getting the OGM or even medaling at all.
Reason is that I would like to see her skating develop as a woman and, hopefully, continue through the next quad.
What I didn't want to see was her do a Lipinski: win gold and then retire from competitive skating.

She's way too invested in her skating not to continue, even if she did get the gold medal, besides she's still in a great position to medal. She usually gets a FS score of 130 or higher so she has a great chance. Lipinski had already competed in and won both the Olympics and Worlds and had injuries. Very different people and circumstances

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I would put them in the order 1. Caro, 2 Yuna, 3. Adelina, maybe 1 point between Caro and Yuna, with Adelina several points back. The PCS should not be at the same level, passionate as Adelina was, it was really ugly to watch, don't like her line and posture/ gestures at all---the jumps were huge though.

So so sad for Mao. I hope she will skate a perfect FS, be free, and with no regret. Such a pity. She had been working so hard and her skating is just beautiful to watch.

Surprised by Zijun's low marks. The 3F-3T does not look <ed, just a bit short, not over 45 degree.

It was a disappointing night for many skaters for sure. Hope they put it together tomorrow!

In case you weren't aware, South Korea has a reputation for plastic surgery. Yuna's haters have attacked her for years with rumors of plastic surgery. That word is such a loaded term for Yuna, forgive me for not thinking the use wasn't accidental.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: I don't think this poster means "plastic" as in fake, but in the dance sense of movement as a way of expressing ideas. I've seen it used this way, and also spelled in the French style as plastique. It's a compliment, not an insult at all. In fact, it's a high compliment.

Ven

Match Penalty
Adelina was great today. She was overscored some, and we should demand fair scoring, but let's not go overboard and say she wasn't deserving to at least be third and in contention.

raress

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner stole the night!After such a long time she finally has her Olympic dream!I have a huge feeling she is gona win the title,she truly deserves it after all the bad luck!And everyone in here,should agree with me if he/she loves the spirit of a fighter!

BlackPack

Medalist
To the poster who gave us the Onion article... LOL Carolina landing a 3axel and falling into the depths of the ice :laugh:

bebevia

On the Ice

I personally saw a few more entertaining girls whom I thought deserved more interpretation marks. Polina's was one of them, which I instantaneously wasn't satisfied - but expected given the placement vs. PCS custom. I mean, it that term, she was better than some of the higher ranked girls, yet so underscored. I wonder if the early skaters' relatively lower PCS marks are a default rule or something in the IJS book.