Peggy Fleming - 1968 Olympic Photos | Golden Skate

Peggy Fleming - 1968 Olympic Photos

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's interesting to see the simplicity of their dresses.

That being said, had Code of Points been in effect at that time, I would have docked Peggy points for wearing the color chartreusse. :p

S

SkateFan4Life

That chartreuse dress was sewn by Peggy's mother. She chose the color to tie in with a local distillery in the area by the same name. It was definitely a retro color, and it made quite a stunning statement on color television! :love:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
That chartreuse dress was sewn by Peggy's mother. She chose the color to tie in with a local distillery in the area by the same name. It was definitely a retro color, and it made quite a stunning statement on color television! :love:
Yeah, I know it was sewn by her mother. But even if it had been sewn by Hubert de Givenchy himself, it was still hideous! :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I actually love that she chose to wear that color. It was a really bold statement, and you could bet that she was probably the only one competing in that color. I'm sure it made a huge impact on the screen at the time.

S

SkateFan4Life

RealtorGal said:
Yeah, I know it was sewn by her mother. But even if it had been sewn by Hubert de Givenchy himself, it was still hideous! :laugh:

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as I'm entitled to mine. I really loved that costume. IMHO, it was classic, elegant, and Peggy looked gorgeous. :love:

S

SkateFan4Life

The room of my gym where spin classes and kickbox classes are held was painted over the weekend. The color? Chartreuse! :thumbsup:

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:
It's to balance out the intricacies of the hairdos..... :biggrin:

In those days, most of the women skaters had long hair, and they wore it in high buns, which required some pretty complicated styling. The last thing they wanted to have happen was for their hair to come tumbling down during one of their performances. I remember reading a story on Peggy Fleming, just prior to the 1968 Olympics, in which she said she purchased cans of Sudden Beauty hair spray by the half dozen and always had a few cans of this with her whenever she traveled.

The women's hairdos were so elegant and sophisticated. :love: