Sasha's LP music | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha's LP music

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think you're onto something here, and I agree with you. Part of me WANTS to believe this info about Cohen and Kwan, but it's the realist in me that's doubting the authenticity of these claims. JMO, of course.

Aside from the quad, the thing that has struck me the most forcefully about this thread on Sasha's music is that none of us has mentioned the program components, specifically "Interpretation" and "Choreography." As far as I can see from last season, Interpretation means land your jumps and Choreography means do a triple-triple.

According to the rule book, the judges are supposed to be giving out PCS marks (for singles) according to these criteria:

Interpretation

* Effortless movement in time to the music.

* Expression of the music's style, character and rhythm.

* Use of finesse to express the nuances of the music. (Note: "Finesse" is the skater's refined, artful manipulation of nuances. "Nuances" are the personal artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo and dynamics of the music made by the composer and/or musicians.

Choreography/composition, on the other hand is judged by:

* Purpose (idea, concept, vision)
* Proportion (equal weights of parts)
* Unity (purposeful threading
* Utilization of personal and public space
* Pattern and ice coverage
* Phrasing and form (movements and parts structured to match the phrasing of the music)
* Originality of purpose, movement and design

I am looking at the performances that received marks in these categories in the 8 to 9 range last year. To tell the truth, I think these considerations got lost in the shuffle.

Do you think that Sasha, or any other skater, is choosing music this year that will help them achieve "purposeful threading" and "nuanced dynamics" in their performances. Or is this just a bunch of hot air, and bring on the quads!?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's been reported on another forum (and I confirmed this for myself) that Sasha's LP has been removed from the USFS website. Hmm...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's what I think:

I'm starting to think it really is her freeskate, but maybe the Cohen camp wanted to coordinate the announcement (i.e. it got "leaked" by the USFS). After all, usually she announces it in her journal first, then you see it on the USFS website. It just seems too odd to be otherwise. I don't think they would confuse her with another skater, lol.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
It's been reported on another forum (and I confirmed this for myself) that Sasha's LP has been removed from the USFS website. Hmm...

Wow, another hack on USFSA? The girl is drama queen, remember the incident of last year her journal posted, removed from her website?

This got be an interesting season! :p

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Here's what I think:

I'm starting to think it really is her freeskate, but maybe the Cohen camp wanted to coordinate the announcement (i.e. it got "leaked" by the USFS). After all, usually she announces it in her journal first, then you see it on the USFS website. It just seems too odd to be otherwise. I don't think they would confuse her with another skater, lol.

I completely agree with you. I think they removed it because Sasha has yet to announce it on her website, which she likes to do first. Kind of silly to remove it now, though since the information has been known for over 24 hours. My guess is Sasha probably doesn't know how many people actually check this stuff. I mean, anyone who is interested in her music already knows it.

Her music has been confirmed by Tony Wheeler and posters on both FSU and her own forum. Or maybe she has read all the criticism of this choice and has decided to change it? (JUST KIDDING!!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Wow, another hack on USFSA? The girl is drama queen, remember the incident of last year her journal posted, removed from her website?

This got be an interesting season! :p

Was that a hack, or just a premature leak? I thought I saw her explaining later that she wanted to coordinate the announcement (or whatever it was). I'm not sure here.

BTW- a little quick to jump to a conclusion are we? :biggrin: ;) I mean, it could be anything...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
I completely agree with you. I think they removed it because Sasha has yet to announce it on her website, which she likes to do first. Kind of silly to remove it now, though since the information has been known for over 24 hours. My guess is Sasha probably doesn't know how many people actually check this stuff. I mean, anyone who is interested in her music already knows it.

Her music has been confirmed by Tony Wheeler and posters on both FSU and her own forum. Or maybe she has read all the criticism of this choice and has decided to change it? (JUST KIDDING!!)

ITA. It's entirely possible she doesn't know of these forums (and how much we speculate, how much inside info we have (he he), etc.) and maybe she wanted to "be the one to get it out first". Well, Sasha, too late. It's all over the skating forums now (even her own fan forum), and some supposedly "reliable" sources have confirmed this info. Anyway, why am I saying this? Like she's losing any sleep over this. :laugh:

About the last comment- how funny would that be if it were TRUE?

Red Dog - News of Sasha really perks you up.

She did do the quad in her very first Skate America. She actually popped it into a one turn jump and if I remember correctly, fell. She then went on to fall on another jump. The program went down hill, but she was held up.

She managed a 3x3 in 2003 at Worlds (I think it was 2 footed). And that was the last of the high powered jumps for her.

Let's hope Nicks has got them back.

I don't think the removal of the listing of her LP music on USFSA is news shattering. I would not worry so much about Michelle, if I were Sasha. Her biggest competitor is in Russia.

Anyone taking risks and successfully fufils the element will be rewarded!!!

Joe

Red Dog - News of Sasha really perks you up.

She did do the quad in her very first Skate America. She actually popped it into a one turn jump and if I remember correctly, fell. She then went on to fall on another jump. The program went down hill, but she was held up.

She managed a 3x3 in 2003 at Worlds (I think it was 2 footed). And that was the last of the high powered jumps for her.

Let's hope Nicks has got them back if she plans to take risks.

I don't think the removal of the listing of her LP music on USFSA is news shattering. It has nothing to do with anything important. I would not worry so much about Michelle, if I were Sasha. Her biggest competitor is in Russia.

Anyone taking risks and successfully fufils the element will be rewarded!!!

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That MKF poster who said Cohen was practicing the quad and landing it 75% of the time is the same one who said Kwan was doing two 3/3s. With the Cohen claim, this poster has lost all credibility. At Worlds 2005, Sasha had enough problems just landing triples cleanly, and she hasn't even tried a 3/3 in competition since 2003 Worlds.

So I think we have to take any claims by this poster with a grain of salt. Seems to me it's a case of 'Mallory King', 2005 version.

Shanti

On the Ice
mzheng said:
There is a report in MKF (the same poster) said SC landed a clean quad in her run through and she was hitting it about 75% in practice (said according to a coach at EW rink). Wow.

IMHO it's just highy implausible.

I'm waiting for that poster to say that SC quad is quad axel :biggrin:

nymkfan51

Medalist
chuckm ... that poster did not say he saw Sasha land a quad ... he was simply repeating something someone else told him.

soogar

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
That MKF poster who said Cohen was practicing the quad and landing it 75% of the time is the same one who said Kwan was doing two 3/3s. With the Cohen claim, this poster has lost all credibility. At Worlds 2005, Sasha had enough problems just landing triples cleanly, and she hasn't even tried a 3/3 in competition since 2003 Worlds.

So I think we have to take any claims by this poster with a grain of salt. Seems to me it's a case of 'Mallory King', 2005 version.

Well I skate at a rink that isn't a high end rink, but there are a few decent skaters. I've seen no name skaters (male) land 3 axels and quads with regularity in practices but since they're no name, they probably don't land them in competition. There are a lot of skaters who can hit big elements in practice and then the element leaves them in competition.

From what I've seen, I don't find it hard to believe that MK lands a lot of 3-3s in practice because her triple jumps are already so consistent in competition. She probably has been doing 3-3s all these years for conditioning at the very least. They probably leave her in competition because she hadn't really needed them to win so she's not committed to landing (and doing) them in competition.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I checked the MKF post. The poster did not say s/he had seen Sasha land the quads, the way s/he has seen Michelle do two different 3/3 combinations. Instead, s/he reported:

"Sasha aparently landed a clean quad in a run through, and has been hitting them about 75 percent of the time according to a coach there......"

In evaluating the poster's credibility, we should distinguish between what is reported as the poster's own knowledge and what the poster admits is reported second hand knowledge.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure MK does practice 3/3s, but this poster said there were two 3/3s in her PROGRAM--that I am not so sure of now.

It's the Cohen quad reports that make me suspicious that we're being teased again this year. Sasha hasn't seriously worked on quads since the 2001-2002 season. As recently as a year ago, a recurrence of Sasha's back injury kept her from practicing triples for more than two months. Reports of her doing so many quads that she lands 75% of them seem highly unlikely. Why would she risk injury in an Olympic year?

Whether this poster is saying he/she saw it or just heard reports from another source, it just cast doubts on his/her veracity.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
chuckm said:
Whether this poster is saying he/she saw it or just heard reports from another source, it just cast doubts on his/her veracity.

Well I guess each person has to decide for themselves how much weight to give all these reports. What might sound suspicious to one person, could sound very believable to another.

euterpe

Medalist
Kwan doing 3/3s is entirely believable. She was doing them in practice before the last cheesefest in April. Two in her FS....maybe. But Sasha and the quad, now that is pretty far-fetched.

According to her last journal entry dated just a week ago, Sasha was working on putting her FS together. I can't imagine her stop practicing her FS to focus on quads when Campbell's is just 6 weeks away.

mzheng

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
There is a report in MKF (the same poster) said SC landed a clean quad in her run through and she was hitting it about 75% in practice (said according to a coach at EW rink). Wow.

Contradict to what I was told couple of weeks before. I posted this because I thought she might make TREMONDOUS progress in two weeks. (Now I've read couple of posters at FSU, MKF, SashaFan, all of them are consistant with what I heard two weeks ago). Sorry I should've used my better judgment.

ETA,
MK doing 3/3s are plausible (though I have my doubt of the type of 3/3 she was reported to try). But the program contents, this is an awful 'busy' program, which contradict with what I heard so far. (not to say you should believe me. But I believe MS infinitely. She has no reason to makeup things, she don't even read/post at any FS board.)

Last edited by a moderator: