The Top Skaters - What Will You Be Looking For? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Top Skaters - What Will You Be Looking For?

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Brad - BRAVO! Good post. I particularly liked your take on interviews on "Today" They are so mamby pamby. They are almost scripted.

Kathy - Is Mao Oly eligible?

Tdnuva - Yes. I forgot about Savchenko and Szolkowy. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again. Hopefully they show them on TV.

Joe

Yes, yes...brad grad post..mao is not eligible but I would love to see her on tv too, and how could i foget S and S??? (are W and F from canada still a pair and skating this year? if so, i wish to see them skate!).

I think everyone would like to see S&Z back again. Anyone with recent news on his condition?

I think everyhone would like to Evgeni at top form. Anyone with recent new on his condition?

Same thing with Irina. How is she holding up? and are there others who are on the serious injury list?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I've heard reports on other boards that Irina is doing extremely well, and her medication has been greatly reduced. I haven't heard anything about her mom (whether she's had another transplant, etc.) and according to one doctor on an ABC fluff, the stress that triggered the problem in the beginning was a combination of Oly season stress and her mom's illness, so I'm still worried about her.

Kathy

On the Ice
Mao is not olympic eligible, but she is doing the senior grand prix. COC and Bompard I think, so we should get to see her compete against the best and also get to see her on TV.l

Shanti

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I think everyhone would like to Evgeni at top form. Anyone with recent new on his condition?

Joe

Just yesterday I translated a huuuuge interview with Plushenko and Mishin and posted it on FSU. Since I've no idea if I'm allowed to copy entire posts (even my own) from other boards, here's the link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27866

P.S. Sorry for grammar/spelling mistakes - I was in a hurry.

Kasey

Medalist
My boy Griazev to hit the quad consistantly, have better transitions in the LP, and never again look like the deer in the headlights like he did at Worlds this year! :yes:

Thank you so much, Shanti. The four parts were a good read. He's working hard and is pain free as far as the hernia is concerned. His withdrawal from the Japan and US cheesefests is understandable. He doesn't feel he is at his best right now. Apparently, though, he still sees doctors on a regular basis. Did I read that correctly?

One thing, I didn't read anything about the knee. IDo you know if thats that still a problem?

Joe

Shanti

On the Ice
Yeah, Joe, you understood everything correctly :yes:

And nothing was said about his knee ...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina was on reduced medication last year at the start of the GP, but after the GPF, she started to get ill again and had to go back on strong dosages to keep her illness at bay. She was wheezing noticeably during Euros, and that may have been why she had such a poor FS.

I think that when Irina is relaxed and not competing, she doesn't have disease symptoms, but once she's back in competition, the stress of competition brings on the illness. Like Evgeni Plushenko, she really would be best NOT doing early-season cheesefests. The Grand Prix is stressful enough, especially in an Olympic season where the stress level is greater than in a normal season.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks Shanti for the translation....so basically, he's not in top form (even for this time of the year) or is but just doesn't feel 100% yet, either really not sure what he is skating to are just giving that impression to not give his competitors a clue as to what is going on with him (and psyche them out), and may or may not have knee problems still (and the quiet her probably for the same reasons as the programs)??? I really love how this guy performs on the ice...and the mystery makes me even more anxious to see him skate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Irina was on reduced medication last year at the start of the GP, but after the GPF, she started to get ill again and had to go back on strong dosages to keep her illness at bay. She was wheezing noticeably during Euros, and that may have been why she had such a poor FS.

I think that when Irina is relaxed and not competing, she doesn't have disease symptoms, but once she's back in competition, the stress of competition brings on the illness. Like Evgeni Plushenko, she really would be best NOT doing early-season cheesefests. The Grand Prix is stressful enough, especially in an Olympic season where the stress level is greater than in a normal season.

I believe so too. Yet she insists on doing a full schedule, which is perfectly fine by me; it's the total opposite of "taking it one day at a time" and only doing the important comps. However, she does have an illness, and it MAY not be the best thing for her to do at this point. But, it may not matter too much what she does early on. The major competitions will still be very stressful and this is where things get problematic.

However- she did manage to recover enough to win Worlds. So IMO it's a matter of peaking at the right time. But next year, can she do that a month earlier?

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Crossing my fingers!

Kwan - To see her that smile again (you know the one--the one she had right before she took the starting position in 1998 Nationals, 2001 Worlds, 2003 Nationals, etc.) When she looks that happy and comfortable, you know it's going to be great.

Suguri -
brad640 said:
continued imagination, stage presence and to-die-for costumes from Fumie.
Ditto! Plus that grit she showed in 4CC last season. :rock:

Nikodinov - I'll just be looking for some news of a successful surgery. Keeping her my thoughts.

Liang- To show the USFSA that she doesn't fit into a cookie cutter! Plus some consistency on that 3loop.

Ota - More of that captivating musicality and some clean jumps.

Jahnke - Land those 3axels! And more of that thoughtful Tom Dickson choreography.

Klimkin - An injury-free season.

Shen & Zhao - Just hoping to see them skate again.