Telegraphing Your Jumps | Golden Skate

Telegraphing Your Jumps

S

SkateFan4Life

Did you ever notice how certain skaters practically announce to the world when they're about to execute specific jumps? Without attempting to be nitpicky -- whenever Gregorz Filopowski, the 1989 World bronze medalist, was about to try a triple lutz, well, EVERYBODY knew he was trying to execute that jump. Typically, he would start his preparation close to the far end of the rink, and his backward glance/preparation carried him clear across the rink to the other side. Not much mystery there. Granted, a triple lutz does require a certain amount of lead-in time and preparation for the take-off, but IMHO, that kind of extended leadup to a jump is poor technique. It also takes up precious seconds of the program.

Another example is the triple axel. How many times have we watched our favorite skaters stroke around purposely just prior to trying a triple axel? Again, not much of an element of surprise.

I think it's refreshing when a skater seems to launch a triple jump out of the blue, so to speak. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I say, "Hallelujah!".

Just my two cents, of course. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, on the lutz here are several telegraphy experts:

Maria Butyrskaya who used to telegraph almost the
length of the rink.

Also Vika and Liashenko (but she seems to me to
be getting a bit better this season)

I am really not crazy about telegraphing. It makes the programs so much more boring.

dpp

mzheng

Record Breaker
.... and his backward glance/preparation ....

Yes, these are the words I'm searching for describing the telegraph of jump. Most skaters have it leading into some of their jumps.

It was only in this past season I noticed that Michelle eliminate this feat from her skating. She had the feat in previouse seasons. I think that's why her skating this season give me a real profesional level performance impresssion.

Sorry to drag Michelle in this thread :p cause I think this is one of the major improvement in her skating this season.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I was watching a tape of Maria the other day and noticed it. It really detracts from the program. I always thought that it would be kind of fun to do a parody (sp?) of something like that, and pull out a sign that read whatever the jump would be, then dramatically telemark down the ice...hokey I know, but I have to poke fun at myself for being guilty of the same thing....it would kind of be something akin to Swan Lake with a swan suit and beak...okay maybe I have hit my head one time too many...:p

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
Liashenko isnt all that bad at the telegraphing. I think her name comes up often just because of Dick and Peggy. I mean, Vika and Fumie aren't much better and don't forget Michelle's triple flip at Worlds LP.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
sk8guy2k2 said:
Liashenko isnt all that bad at the telegraphing. I think her name comes up often just because of Dick and Peggy. I mean, Vika and Fumie aren't much better and don't forget Michelle's triple flip at Worlds LP.

Liashenko is bad, sorry to say that. I have a lot of RESPECT for the girl because she's been in the game and fighting to get on the podium for many years but she telegraphs her jumps like nobodys business wit the exception of her 3toe which comes out of no where.
Irina also telegraphed her 3flip last season becuase it didn't have the footwork leading to it. Michelle telelgraphs her 3loop but she has improved that last season.

lavender

Record Breaker
This funny that Michelle's the most mentioned in this thread and that is hardly the case.

Irina
Bonaly (in her eligible days)
Liashenko (sp) is the worst of them all but I enjoy the rest of her skating.

These are the biggest telegraphers in the sport. Sorry but that's what you hear about when they skate from the commentators and I can see for myself. Of course when Irina's in the air it's a thing of beauty so it's almost forgiven.

icenut84

Final Flight
Glacierskater said:
I always thought that it would be kind of fun to do a parody (sp?) of something like that, and pull out a sign that read whatever the jump would be, then dramatically telemark down the ice...

Lol! :D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Glacier Skater - Can't you just see Dan Hollander doing your
routine?

Maybe Shizuka could use her techoswan outfit and add the
signs in an exhibition.
(Love your idea)

dpp
:D :rollin :lol

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning never "telegraphs". His jumps come out of nowhere! He is probably the best skater I have ever seen at the "element of surprise." It is refreshing to see.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Being a skater myself, I think that telegraphing one's jumps has something to do with the jump being taught to the skater incorrectly when they were learning singles and doubles, or just poor technique that their coach hasn't tried to fix. I find it incredibly distracting, and I feel that it takes away from the overall presentation of the program. Just my 2 cents.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Scott Hamiliton did a funny routine a few years ago were he incorporated many classic moves from various skaters and time periods. He did do a very long entry into a jump, paying tribute I suppose to those who "telegraph" their jumps.......too cute...Toni, do you remember the routine? 42

Setting up the Lutz is a fault with many many skaters, imo. I would also say Liashenko is probably the worst having seen her in person at the DC Worlds. And it was more than the lutz. However, she does the jumps perfectly. For me, it just loses the artistry of the routine. I have seen her skate a perfect routine that just about bored me.

But there are so many others, I hated to single her out except a poster thought she didn't.

BTW, one of the best 'no long entry into' the lutz, I think is Angelina Nikodinov. She does footwrork down the center of the ice into a forward inside three turn into a toe pick lutz. Watch her.

Joe

I guess I am the only skating fan in the world who doesn't think that "telegraphing" is a bad thing. This is, after all, an athletic contest. So when a skater says, OK, everybody, here I go doing my triple Lutz now, to me that's like a poll vaulter saying, here I go after that 18-foot bar! Tada!!! (Oops, sorry about that tiny little inside edge right there at the end -- you didn't see that, right?)

Mathman

I could agree with you mathman, if the skater would do something while he/she is holding the bo edge and I'm counting the beats of the music. Turning the head to check the skate boards doesn't get to me especiall if the bo edge rocks over at the last minute to bi edge and voila, the Flip!

Joe

Seonaid920

On the Ice
Liashenko is the pitts when it comes to telegraphing

I think Liashenko is by far the worst for telegraphing. her set ups are usually more than the full length of the ice-rink.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's refreshing when a skater seems to launch a triple jump out of the blue, so to speak.
The only skater that I can think of right at this time who just jumps is Evgeny Plushenko. I have always appreciated that about his skating.

Dee

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Another example is the triple axel. How many times have we watched our favorite skaters stroke around purposely just prior to trying a triple axel? Again, not much of an element of surprise.

I think it's refreshing when a skater seems to launch a triple jump out of the blue, so to speak. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I say, "Hallelujah!".

Just my two cents, of course. :) [/B]

I don't mind too much when male skaters telegraph their 3axel or quads. Those are very difficult jumps. It's when they are telegraphing all their other jumps as well that I start to get annoyed.

Kristi Yamaguchi was superb at maintaining flow and having smooth presentation in and out of the jumps (except the salchow). Several of her programs highlight this trait, Malaguena is one of the best examples.

Telegraphing is a problem which one can certainly overcome. If you watch early performance by Chen Lu -- say around '92-'93, she was telegraphing her jumps quite badly. By 1996, however, all the elements were so well integrated into her performance that people said, "It was so beautiful you forgot what you were watching."

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Telegraphing is one of my pet peeves in skating. Nothing worse then seeing someone stroke stroke and telegraph across the ice to do a jump. The jump might be great but getting there looks awful.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Kurt Browning never "telegraphs". His jumps come out of nowhere! He is probably the best skater I have ever seen at the "element of surprise." It is refreshing to see.

he did when he performed the lutz... he doesn't so much anymore... but once upon a time you could tell when that lutz and or flip was coming... he'd look back, tongue would touch his upper lip for a second... and then BAM(well I close my eyes on my tapes even when he lands them but still)...