Question about Elvis | Golden Skate

Question about Elvis

J

Jané

This is something that has really been bugging me since I went on the Skate Canada website late last week. Is Elvis comeing back or not? I went on their site but it doesn't have anything about Elvis on there. And if he was coming back would'nt he be on their list of skaters participating this season? I haven't been able to find anything on TSN to say that he has changed his mind and is going to stay pro but that really doesn't mean anything. So if someone could shed some light on this highly confusing(for me anyway) situation. I would be very grateful :D

Janelle

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Jané said:
I went on their site but it doesn't have anything about Elvis on there. And if he was coming back would'nt he be on their list of skaters participating this season?
Hi Janelle,

I think what you might have been looking at is the National Team page. Elvis is not on the National Team as he did not compete at Canadians - you have to place in the Top 5 at the previous Canadians to be named to the National Team. However, if you look at the Team Assignments page, Elvis is assigned to Skate Canada and Cup of China. I haven't heard anything about him changing his mind - I'm sure if he did he would have notified Skate Canada so that other skaters would get his assignments. Hope this helps.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

S

SkateFan4Life

Elvis's competitive juices are still running strong, and he's not about to hang up his skates, at least not yet. I hope he has good fall competitions and prepares himself well for Canadians and, hopefully, for a spot on the World Team.

I'm sure many of us remember Elvis as the 17-year-old who nearly defeated World Champion Kurt Browning at the 1990 Canadians. He was a crackerjack jumper, and he was one of the first skaters to land quads in combination - quad/double toe and quad/triple toe.

I still think Elvis should have won the Olympic gold medal in 1994 with is wonderful "Bruce Lee" long program. Granted, he never was the most artistic skater - but he skated with a huge heart, and he was terrific technically.

Good luck, Elvis!! :D

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Jane':

I hope we do see Elvis at Canadians this year. We need him back! Our men need someone to look up to and inspire them! Elivs is the man for the job.

Go Elvis

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Elvis probably decided to come back because he still wants to compete, but the Pro competitions are just not there now.

shine

Record Breaker
I hope we do see Elvis at Canadians this year. We need him back! Our men need someone to look up to and inspire them! Elivs is the man for the job.
Or our talented men don't need another has-been to compete for the 2 narrow spots on the world team...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Shine:

Or our talented men don't need another has-been to compete for the 2 narrow spots on the world team...

I am shocked by your words! I don't consider Elvis a "has been." After everything he contributed to the Canadian team and Canadian figure skating. Elvis was the original "Quad King" and kept us in the forefront after Kurt retired. How disrespectful!

Our young guys coming up are talented, but so far none of them have really shown the world what they can do. I love Jeff Buttle, but his showing last year was not quite up to par and of course there is "Mr inconsistent" Emanuel Sandhu. Elvis is a very positive person and is a strong competitor. He would be a good influence with his years of experience.
I don't think it would hurt anything.

Hooray for Elvis!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
shine said:
Well, if he is a has been, then they would have no problem beating him, right? Or, if they do, then what are they? "never-been"s?

I am not crazy about Elvis coming back, BTW, but for a different reason. I love his skating, and his last few seasons in eligible competition were really painful to watch. I want to remember the strong Elvis, not an almost-crippled one.

Also, I never thought of Elvis as non-artistic. True, he is not a Classial skater, and he does not have a lyrical bone in his body. However, I believe his masculine athleticism transcended technique to produce very artistic programs.

J

Jané

Thanks for your answers :D I Personally don't really like Elvis. Never really have but I hadn't been able to find anything about what he was supposed to be skating at so I figured I'd ask here and find out.

Janelle

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
ELVIS HAS RETURNED TO THE BUILDING!

If the rest of the top Canadian men can find a way to keep their butts off the ice repeatedly, they will win a spot on the World team fair and square. If not, Elvis may earn the right to one of those spots. :D

dizzydi

On the Ice
Elvis....

RealtorGal,

If the rest of the top Canadian men can find a way to keep their butts off the ice repeatedly, they will win a spot on the World team fair and square. If not, Elvis may earn the right to one of those spots.

You are absolutely right about that. Hard as it is for fans to understand, your favorite skater must execute a flawless (or close to flawless) program to win, place or draw. No matter their potential, reputation, etc. They must perform successfully or better than their competition at any given event.

Elvis has every right to compete against the younger talent and see how the chips fall. If he wins, good for him.

By the way, I'm not an Elvis fan. Don't care for his style of skating.

Dizzy

Germanice

On the Ice
I wonder if there'll be a real fair judging at Canadian Nationals - if Stojko skates mediocre and not as well than the other guys, will they ACTUALLY dare to give him, Elvis, a so called "legend", 3rd or 4th place then? Can't help - no matter how he skates, he'll be qualified for Worlds without a doubt ...

Anke

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe this competition in a couple of weeks will show us a little bit at least, how the matters are with the Canadian male skaters:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/2003 Summer Skate/index.htm

Great that Honda is competing there as well!!!

I agree with those who posted that the young ones just have to be better than Elvis, but I also agree with Germanice that the Canadian Nationals judges might be biased for Elvis. Well, a lot depends on whether Sandhu and Buttle will find a lot of backbone, they´ll need it, LOL.

Marjaana

Last edited:
Germanice and Jaana, I don't understand why you think that the "Skate Canada establishment" would prefer to send Elvis to Worlds even if others skate better. Why send someone to Worlds who doesn't have the best shot at bringing home a medal?

That having been said, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he can still outskate the youngsters.

Mathman

Germanice said:
I wonder if there'll be a real fair judging at Canadian Nationals Anke

This question is something I have been wondering about for a long time. I presume the Nationals of any Country are judged by the judges of that country. Those country judges may have to take the advice of the Association or Federation as to which three must place. The order is of no importance but the three selected by the Association or Federation is.

Am I into too much of conspiracy theories?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Germanice said:
I wonder if there'll be a real fair judging at Canadian Nationals - if Stojko skates mediocre and not as well than the other guys, will they ACTUALLY dare to give him, Elvis, a so called "legend", 3rd or 4th place then? Can't help - no matter how he skates, he'll be qualified for Worlds without a doubt ...

Anke

ITA... or he could just pull another one of those "Ya love me, I want a bye to Worlds" and I think they'd give it to him....

then again the last time he did that he barely made it to the top 10 :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
This question is something I have been wondering about for a long time. I presume the Nationals of any Country are judged by the judges of that country. Those country judges may have to take the advice of the Association or Federation as to which three must place. The order is of no importance but the three selected by the Association or Federation is.

Am I into too much of conspiracy theories?

Joe

No... my dad's the same way... he just knows some of the skaters make it just because they're the Country's favorites LOL he figures if it can happen at worlds it most definately can and will happen with the individual associations

shine

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Shine:

I am shocked by your words! I don't consider Elvis a "has been." After everything he contributed to the Canadian team and Canadian figure skating. Elvis was the original "Quad King" and kept us in the forefront after Kurt retired. How disrespectful!

Our young guys coming up are talented, but so far none of them have really shown the world what they can do. I love Jeff Buttle, but his showing last year was not quite up to par and of course there is "Mr inconsistent" Emanuel Sandhu. Elvis is a very positive person and is a strong competitor. He would be a good influence with his years of experience.
I don't think it would hurt anything.

Hooray for Elvis!
Actually, whether he has contributed much to Canadian figure skating is quite irrelevant at this point as far as I'm concerned. His career had been going downhill ever since the 98 injury and neither his choreography or presentation has improved all that much since he won silver in 94. He's practically been doing the same straight line step sequence for YEARS. As a skating fan I admire his accomplishments and appreciate him very much for securing 2 spots on the world team for the Canadian men year after year. But for that didn't we all just have a HUGE, tearful farewell party for him at last year's Canadians? Of course he's entitled to whatever he wishes to do but I'm also entitled to my feeling about his so called "come back".
But of course everythig said here is just based on what I've seen from him in the past several seasons and who knows if he's going to surprise us with his new programs and performances. I'd be more than willing to eat my words. And if he makes the top 10 or even top 6 at Worlds, good for him.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
ELVIS - STILL IN THE BUILDING

Germanice said:

Anke

[color=royal blue]Well, since the Canadian judges saw fit to award the title last year to Sandhu, despite, I believe, THREE FALLS DURING THE LP, who knows? Oh, yeah. They gave him high marks for "artistry". How "artistic" is it to fall down three times? ("Oh, but he was so artistic when he was standing up!") :p If history repeats itself, all Elvis has to do to EARN a spot at Nationals is skate a clean program. Personally, I love it when the "old timers" can beat the youngters! [/color]