Shpilband & Zueva interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shpilband & Zueva interview

IMO a better idea would be to go back to having two compulsories.

About the lack of audience appeal, I disagree. CDs are totally cool. I went to a benefit show organized by Belbin and Agosto a couple on months ago and the most entertaining act (to me) was just several couples on the ice at the same time doing a Ravenburg Waltz. :love: :clap:

Agree with all posters who disagree with the adjective "boring". These compulsories are the easiest was for a fan to see which team has the basics. You have to like this phase of the competition, if you care about the Sport.

Joe

all that

Final Flight
From the Communication:

332. Ice Dance Technical Committee
Rule 622
Compulsory Dances Draws on Site and Order of Music
Amend Rule 622 (paragraphs 1, 2 and 3) as follows
1. The Compulsory Dance to be skated by each couple from the dances announced for the season for category concerned (Senior or Junior) will be determined by starting order. The draw for the starting order for the
Compulsory Dance will be in accordance with Rule 635, paragraph 1.
2. The Compulsory Dances will be skated alternately in the order listed in Rule 607 regardless number of couples in the starting groups.
3. In all ISU Championships, Olympic Winter Games and International Competitions, five (5) pieces of music will be played, unless otherwise directed in an ISU Communication, for each Compulsory Dance from new official ISU
tunes 1-5. For each starting group Compulsory Dance the music will be played alternately in the above mentioned numerical order.
One minute of the tune #6 of each dance will be played during the warm up of each starting group, beginning with the dance to be skated first in the starting group.
Reason: to ensure that the quality of Compulsory Dance is at the highest level, and to make the event more interesting for the audience by eliminating the excessive repetition of the same dance.

Strikethroughs and underlines aren't showing up in this simple cut-and-paste job, so it's best to look back at the actual document to understand this paragraph. However, the reason section had no changes.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Reason: to ensure that the quality of Compulsory Dance is at the highest level
What a joke! (Oh, and thanks for the quote, all that!)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IMO a better idea would be to go back to having two compulsories.

About the lack of audience appeal, I disagree. CDs are totally cool. I went to a benefit show organized by Belbin and Agosto a couple on months ago and the most entertaining act (to me) was just several couples on the ice at the same time doing a Ravenburg Waltz. :love: :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Pg8H74lFeCk

ITA. For those thinking that compulsories automatically have no audience appeal, consider this clip of Torvill and Dean in 1984 at Europeans. The commentators report the gate as being nearly 8,500. I :love: T&D, and so did many fans in Budapest. :clap::clap:

Last edited: