Time is always wrong | Golden Skate

Time is always wrong

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not sure that it is particularly serious but my timezone is down as GMT - i'm in the UK so that is definitely right but for some reason the time displayed has always been an hour ahead. Since daylight saving happened in the US, the time is two hours ahead.

I've played around with the different daylight savings option, the time displayed says GMT+1 but then gives a time that is actually GMT+3.

Ant

skatingbc

Final Flight
It did that exact same thing to me as well. I'm in Scotland at the moment...

I just changed the time to GMT -1 so the correct time was displayed. Who knows why this is happening though...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah Alaska time has always been off, too. Just another reason I HATE DST.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I just wonder if there's a problem with the settings on GS though because i've never had the right time until now (but that's because I too have selected GMT-1!)

Ant

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm having a similar problem. Even though I set my account to display Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5), everything on this forum is 2 hours ahead of what I want. :scratch:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the admin control program, all new users are set to GMT-5, Eastern standard time.

Users can set the time in the User CP under edit settings. The daylight savings switch does not seem to work right. To get the correct time in the Eastern time zone, I had to use GMT-6. However that works, even though it is hokey.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Has someone tried to fix this again? I've just noticed that everythig is an hour forward today so i've had to go to GMT-3 to get the right time displayed!

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From my point of view, this is embedded in the vbulletin software, not the GS settings. (all we can set is the default time zone) As a person living in the default time zone, US Eastern, my clock is just as off as yours. I had to set my user CP time zone to Pacific Time, a difference of 3 hours, to get the right time.

I hope vbulletin is trying to fix this problem (as evidenced by the changes), but I suspect this is just an artifact of something else they're working with. I did read the vbulletin position on the clock. They give you an arbitrary start point and expect users who care about the time to fix it in their User control panels. I must say, I'm tired of them moving it around though.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
From my point of view, this is embedded in the vbulletin software, not the GS settings. (all we can set is the default time zone) As a person living in the default time zone, US Eastern, my clock is just as off as yours. I had to set my user CP time zone to Pacific Time, a difference of 3 hours, to get the right time.

I hope vbulletin is trying to fix this problem (as evidenced by the changes), but I suspect this is just an artifact of something else they're working with. I did read the vbulletin position on the clock. They give you an arbitrary start point and expect users who care about the time to fix it in their User control panels. I must say, I'm tired of them moving it around though.

I see i thought it might have been people at GS trying to sort out the times!

I think it is an attempt to "fix" by someone since it seems to have changed over night (for me at least - that might be during the day for a lot of others) and it would be strange for any movement of clock timings to be in the middle of the week when clocks usually change early sunday mornings!

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
An additional confusion is that GMT, as used by vbulletin, is not British Summer Time. It's the time at Greenwich without any dailylight saving extra hour.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello all!

We apologize for this inconvenience. The server is currently undergoing upgrades/maintenance. Due to the Easter holidays, it will probably be a few days before we are back on track.

After we work on the server, I will then tweak the forum.

Please feel free to continue posting any problems here and I will follow-up.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've just noticed that the time correctly reflects my time zone. Thanks gsk8! :rock:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is it just me, or are the times all wrong again? Because I'm getting something that's four hours off the actual time, and I defined it correctly on my profile.

antmanb

Record Breaker
We are tweaking the server again, so it's not you :)

I think it's caused some of the posts to go haywire too. I can't think which post it was in (maybe the US men's olympic team one in the Edge) - one of the latest pages has someone quoting a post from Medusa, but the original post only turns up a couple of posts downfrom it. (i'm not sure i'm even explaining it properly!).

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we caught that last night as well (on a different thread, though)... thanks for the heads up!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All should be ok now. Please let me know if anyone continues to have problems? Thanks!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'd also like to say that the time works great for me, the things that i have noticed and i think it has been since the time got fixed is that we've lost the "today" and "yesterday" from the times of posts and they've been replcaed by the actual date.

I don't think it's particularly important but just wanted to say that i really liked the use of "yesterday" and "today" because it meant I could scroll quickly through to spot the posts I hadn't read. Lazy i know but i just thought i'd say what my preferences are!

Ant