Shen & Zhao are back!! | Golden Skate

Shen & Zhao are back!!

saltypig

Rinkside
I think this topic deserves it's own thread which I couldn't find (probably due to inadequate computer experience :p) so if there is another thread could the mods please merge them?

As most diehard fans already know from other threads and boards - they are back and this one was somewhat under the radar...apparently according to this article they made the decision a half year ago with a goal of returning to the 2010 Olympics.

http://english.cctv.com/20090601/106910.shtml

They are entered in Cup of China and Skate America for the upcoming Grand Prix season. Hopefully they will be able to shake off any competitive rust and return to the top of the podium.

The news of their comeback have definitely made my day. Good luck Shen and Zhao! I will be rooting for your Olympic Gold!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It was so odd just seeing thier names on the GP listings as though nothing had happened. Still no official announcement.
I remember saying last winter after seeing them in a show on TV that they could come back and still be on top. So glad that they thought so too!

Although S/S have emerged as the leaders in pairs, and will be hard to beat, they don't have the magic of S/Z. Certainly neither of the Chinese teams do either.

Here's hoping they can still pull it out. I'm ecstatic to be seeing them at SA. They'll shed a glow over the whole competition!

That said, I pray they'll be careful and not hurt themselves.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although S/S have emerged as the leaders in pairs, and will be hard to beat, they don't have the magic of S/Z. Certainly neither of the Chinese teams do either.
I totally agree.

Here's hoping they can still pull it out. I'm ecstatic to be seeing them at SA. They'll shed a glow over the whole competition!
At Skate Canada I watched their practices and saw them compete. They are like one skating...it was terrific. When they skated their long program, Shen tripped and the crowd gives a loud gasp. It was like they had us in such a trance.

Just a side note, Shen is soooo pretty, even without all her makeup. Do you remember her when she had the horrible teeth???

That said, I pray they'll be careful and not hurt themselves.
or.............get pregnant. :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

Mafke

Medalist
Don't worry, I'm sure some federation can get some last minute rules changes passed that will derail them.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Just a side note, Shen is soooo pretty, even without all her makeup. Do you remember her when she had the horrible teeth???

Dee, Shen is soooo average looking in Chinese women in China. In another word, if you think she is pretty, then Chinese women are so pretty.;)

Yes, I remember her teeth, and she had braces in some competitions after that.

heyang

Record Breaker
Excellent news! As long as they stay healthy and skate clean, they definitely have shot at the OGM. I never really doubted they would be back considering how the last Olympics went and how the other Chinese teams haven't grown as much as hoped. If anything, their experience with SOI has enhanced their skating even more and I'm really looking forward to seeing them compete again.

WOW. I hope Red Dog is reading this thread. :p

But: there is nothing average about Shen Xue! Beauty is not just in facial structure. Her beauty on ice is the outward and visible sign of an inner grace. :love:

jennylovskt

Medalist
But: there is nothing average about Shen Xue! Beauty is not just in facial structure. Her beauty on ice is the outward and visible sign of an inner grace. :love:

That is true. That is why that she has grabbed audience's heart with her skating. To be honest, part of me think that they are the pair who can make miracles, another part of me is worried about their age. Zhao is 36 and Shen is 31, I think. The odd is against them.

redshirt

Match Penalty
Interview clips in English & Chinese.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOoibfrCc_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaG-mvDC5ug

They did a quite creative lift in the clip. Their coach said they were still very well in some of their elements, but Hongbo Zhao needs to work on sbs jumps in order to be competitive. Zhao has not had much systematic practice on jumps over the past two years as the previous injury still has some psychological impact on him. He said their conditions will decide whether they are able to compete at 2010 Olympics.

For me, what they have, and no other dance team has 'IT', is that they dance their program to the music. The tricks, although impressive, are not what grabs me as their musicality makes me think of the Art of Figure Skating.

If they still have 'IT', it's a long 4 years before any other team can grab gold. We'll see.

beep_beep

Medalist
From this wave of comebacks I was always secretly wishing S/Z to be one of them (the only one I cared about, actually). I miss them so much... When I read the GP assignments, I didn't know what to do with myself... had the shakes and everything (I think I might have a problem...:p).

I truly think they can make a difference in the pairs field, even with the change of rules. They have the tech goods and are head and shoulders above all the other teams in terms of artistry and musicality (JMO).

Their Turandot FS at the 2003 worlds is one of my all time favorite programs (not just pairs), puts a smile on my face everytime. If they deliver that kind of performance with all the tech, I believe they're in for a medal.

:rock: Go Shen and Zhao!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love them to pieces. Their LP in DC is 2003 was one of the best performances I've seen in years of watching skating. And you had to see it live to get the whole impact. I hope they can do something like that again.

Does anyone know who their choreographer is going to be?

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
I love them to pieces. Their LP in DC is 2003 was one of the best performances I've seen in years of watching skating. And you had to see it live to get the whole impact. I hope they can do something like that again.

Does anyone know who their choreographer is going to be?

Lori Nichol has choreographed both their programs already.

I hoped it'd be Miller again, but i guess Lori got it done....