2010 Worlds Rumor: unlike previous post-Olympic anticlimax event? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2010 Worlds Rumor: unlike previous post-Olympic anticlimax event?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree with you. And we may have one of the best Nationals in a while too. :yes:

Also, we will see how the GP pans out later on this fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see some skaters skip their second event because they don't want to be too exhausted before the Olympics. Making the Final will be a two-edged sword for some of the skaters, particularly the older ones or those prone to injury.

I remember Irina Slutskaya being totally exhausted after the 2005-2006 GP final, and often have wondered if she had skipped her second event and not gone to the final, if she would have won in Torino.
Irina also had a weakening illness. I can't imagine a top competitor not going to the GP Finals. The feather in that cap seems now to lend itself more to "I am the greatest" syndrome. and I'll prove it at Nats and 4CC/Euros and eventually Olys.

However, some skaters who fall well below the points for making it to the Finals, may drop out since it ain't going to happen.

I do believe that competitions are far more productive than practices.

bekalc

Record Breaker
The U.S. could really have a very nice little world championships depending on how many top skaters decide to compete. The idea of "forcing" the big names to be there is nonsense. I don't see Yu-na or Mao doing it...esp Yu-na even if she does not get olympic gold.

I wouldn't assume Yu-na or Mao not doing Worlds. Mao mentioned if she doesn't win Vancover she can win in Sochi. And Yu-na isn't as adament about retiring. Another world title always looks good and they are both still young.

As for Evan, I think he's retiring in an interview he mentioned nearing at the end of his career.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan and Johnny have both said this is their last competitive season... and I don't expect either to have a 20+ year professional career - not because there isn't a pro circuit, but because neither seems that interested.

marc2000

Rinkside
I think most skaters will do the GP and skate in the Final if they make it. I think where you will see al ot of drop off this year is for the four continents. With the event taking place in Asia two weekas before the start of the games, I doubt any of the Americans or Canadians who are named to the Olympic team will go this year.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think where you will see al ot of drop off this year is for the four continents. With the event taking place in Asia two weekas before the start of the games, I doubt any of the Americans or Canadians who are named to the Olympic team will go this year.

Even though it is in Korea I doubt that Yuna or Mao will particpate this year. It does give a bunch of good skaters who won't be named to their Olympic teams a shot at participating in - or even winning the 4CC title this year though.

enlight78

Medalist
Even though it is in Korea I doubt that Yuna or Mao will particpate this year. It does give a bunch of good skaters who won't be named to their Olympic teams a shot at participating in - or even winning the 4CC title this year though.

I would love to see USA and Japans and Canada 2nd tier skaters duke it out for a medals at 4CC. Give them a chance to shine.

I would love to see USA and Japans and Canada 2nd tier skaters duke it out for a medals at 4CC. Give them a chance to shine.

In the 2006 Olympic year, in ladies, Katy Taylor won Four Continents and Bebe Liang was third.

In 2002, Jenny Kirk won 4C's while Michelle, Sasha and Sarah made the Olympic team. In 2004 the ladies podium was Yukina Ota, Cynthia Phaneuf and Amber Corwin.

Trivia question. Of the 11 Four Continents, Japanese ladies won 5 times, USA 4 times. Who were the other two gold medalists? (Hint: one was from Uzbekistan) :biggrin:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Tatiania Malinina (sp?). I was watching her 99 Worlds FP the other day and she was so giddy when she finished. Lovely to watch.

seniorita

Record Breaker
(Hint: one was from Uzbekistan) :biggrin:

off topic

look what happens now..i have fever all week, but neglected it. Now i read your post and i thought you meant a man, and you wrote ajerbaitzan and was ready to ask if andreev manage to transfer his papers.:unsure: and i was about to write this here. it just hit me I need to go to take some medicine at last.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trivia question. Of the 11 Four Continents, Japanese ladies won 5 times, USA 4 times. Who were the other two gold medalists? (Hint: one was from Uzbekistan) :biggrin:

The first 4CC winner (1999) was Tatiana Malinia (UZB)
The most recent 4CC winner (2009) was Yu-Na Kim (KOR)

The others:
USA: Angela Nikodinov (2000), Jennifer Kirk (2002), Katy Taylor (2006), Kimmie Meissner (2007)
JPN: Fumie Suguri (2001), (2003), (2005); Yukina Ota (2004); Mao Asada (2008)