Leonova: An unexpected break-through | Golden Skate

Leonova: An unexpected break-through

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian figure skating plummeted into depression with the retirement of the stars from 2006. However, while ice dancers and pairs still made the podium at Worlds and Europeans, and some men medaled in the Grand Prix, the future of the ladies seemed bleak.

More

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I like her very much. Despite that she has low possibilities to finish at the podium, she is very enjoyable skater.
Also she looked like the funniest girl at the Worlds :)

I'm not crazy about her style but then neither was I about Slutskaya's. However, Irinia was very competitive and with super jump technique.

Alena may develop into another Slutskaya. She has all the Triples but no 3x3s YET. Keep tuned for later Worlds after 2010,

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leonova has personality and verve, but she lacks edging and polish. She will be 19 in November, so she may develop technically to some extent, but I'm not sure she'll be able to get consistent 3/3s. IMO, she's more of a Volchkova with personality than a Slutskaya.

oleada

Record Breaker
Alena said in an interview that she was working on a 3T+3T. She said she was landing them in practice before her injury.

ETA: Now I see that she says the same thing in this article! :lol:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I just don't understand the russian favoritism. I saw nothing special at all in Lenova...she reminded me somewhat of Irina in her style, but no 3/3. She really needs better posture and stretch. Her jumps looked sloppy at times, the way Irina's did. Nice for her 1st time at worlds, but nothing to write home about.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's hard to get a 3T+3T ratified, and it isn't competitive with the tougher 3/3s the top ladies have.

poloska

Rinkside
I just don't understand the russian favoritism. I saw nothing special at all in Lenova...she reminded me somewhat of Irina in her style, but no 3/3. She really needs better posture and stretch. Her jumps looked sloppy at times, the way Irina's did. Nice for her 1st time at worlds, but nothing to write home about.

It's better then nothing ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not sure Leonova will ever be great. But, she's useful for Russia to have, especially while they are waiting for their young talented girls to get older. She helped their young kids get all kinds of JGP spots next year.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I really liked what I saw of Alena this year. She reminded me how much I appreciated Irina without even realizing it.

life684

Final Flight

great post, especially coming from someone who believes in sasha's prefect program (accept it she is the Anna Kornikova of figure skating, she will never win a world or olympic title ) or she will ever do a perfect program (lp and sp).

I am simply glad leonova is able to perform few error free programs.

Last edited:
I like her too! She has great audience appeal because of her energy, smile, and throw-caution-to-the-winds spirit. She seems to be fast, too. Maybe she can work on the details and be less "sloppy" next season.

Wouldn't it normally be a compliment to compare a skater to Slutskaya (esp. Slutskaya's jumps)? ;)

On a trivial note, I was surprised to see some '08 videos on Youtube where Leonova has "normal" long hair (pinned up)! But the Irina haircut actually accents Leonova's tomboyish quality, which is quite endearing.

oleada

Record Breaker
I like Alena, too. She has obvious flaws in her skating, but her joy for skating and performing are really obvious, and I personally enjoy her skating. :thumbsup:

It's hard to get a 3T+3T ratified, and it isn't competitive with the tougher 3/3s the top ladies have.

Well, it's still worth more than a 3+2 combination, and it's not like there are so many skaters doing 3F+3T or 3Lz+3Lo or whatever. The lutz is not her best jump, so a short program of 3T+3T, 3F and 2A could potentially score very well for her. If she added it to her LP, she could potentially do 7 triples.

fairly4

Medalist
alena joy of skating might have had more to do with unexpected placement than pressure,
now that she finished in the top 10 obviously russian will put more pressue on her and as well favor her more than other women russian skaters.