Yuna Kim | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Figure88

On the Ice
I think Oksana is still the standard for "ballerinas on the ice."

Her carriage and positions are lovely. Not many skaters today can match them.

This clip was from a Pro cheesefest.

Yuna looked a little awkard and fell on a 2A at that "Skating with the Stars" appearance she did a little while ago.

Oksana did OK for herself, winning a WC and an OGM by age 16.

I am sure Yuna will come up with a beautiful program to "Meditation." I think it will be a welcome change after that "PDSTM" program which is cheesy even by cheesefest standards. ;)

Eh. I looked at her previous competitions and her jumping technique was not much better even though she executed technically less difficult jumps by today's standards (no 3-3 combos or 3a, for instance). (The commentator in the video also said that other than the lutz, she executed the jumps better than the Olympics.) She does have excellent form and carriage. Still, I think it's obvious that skating standards have changed a lot from the 90s.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Eh. I looked at her previous competitions and her jumping technique was not much better even though she executed technically less difficult jumps by today's standards (no 3-3 combos or 3a, for instance). (The commentator in the video also said that other than the lutz, she executed the jumps better than the Olympics.) She does have excellent form and carriage. Still, I think it's obvious that skating standards have changed a lot from the 90s.

The commentator is Scott Hamilton who a year earlier at the Olympics declared Nancy Kerrigan the winner. So I guess he was just trying to be consisitent ;)

Figure88

On the Ice
The commentator is Scott Hamilton who a year earlier at the Olympics declared Nancy Kerrigan the winner. So I guess he was just trying to be consisitent ;)

Maybe Kerrigan was a better jumper? I would have made the same bet if she was. Baiul does not look to me as that consistent of a skater (especially jump-wise). I also agree with Scott Hamilton in his chiding comments to the other commentator who said that artistry trumps the bad jumps or something to that effect. Hamilton is always asked to commentate on major ice skating competitions (like the World Championships, Olympics etc) over Wylie and other popular ice skating commentators. I doubt he would be asked so often and at such major events if his comments were that off. I actually find him pretty entertaining and agree with his comments most of time.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, Scott Hamilton is a H U G E Oksana Baiul Fan, always has been.

What I'm saying is definitely not hyperbole. I'm a long time Oksana Baiul Fan since the first time I saw her skate at 1993 Worlds.

And as a long-time fan, I know of what I speak, and have evidence to prove it. Lol, yes, I actually have a notebook of all my favorite quotes about Oksana over the years, a majority that are from Mr. Hamilton, as follows:

And I think if you look at the history of ladies figure skating...I think you'd have to put Oksana Baiul in the top one...as far as artistic ability and how to deliver and put together a beautifully choreographed program.

Her beauty and artistry combine every generation of figure skating...I...this is so special...to have an Oksana Baiul to witness & appreciate...she is truly amazing.

Nobody in the history of the sport has skated with more beauty and artistry than Oksana Baiul.

If I were judging this event...6.0...

Flexibility, artistry, quality...it's just a joy to watch her skate.

Again she's a 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, in my book!

It's so rare but every now & then a skater comes along...who NEVER has to leave the ice...the athleticism is one thing, but...Oksana Baiul is so unique & special...I haven't seen a skater like this...since the late 60's...Janet Lynn.

She has the strength of her skating in artistry...her approach to her skating is unique to everybody else...in the skating community...and young skaters out there...if you want to be special...follow your own path...she has.

By the way, as I mentioned over in the COC forum last month, my favorite "Meditation from Thais" program is Oksana Baiul's from the Fall of 1995 (it's not on youtube btw). She had just flown back from Sergei Grinkov's funeral in Russia, and was a mess, but I think because of this she managed to deliver thee most heartbreaking/touching/poignant performance ever, which she dedicated to Sergei (the judges in the background were equally spellbound). As always, she created a mood, and didn't deviate. Her artistry truly comes from the heart; she knows what it's like to lose loved ones (e.g. grandfather, grandmother, mother, coach, friends, father) and it shows in her skating.

ps: G&G's interpretation is also a fav of mine, which I also mentioned last month in the COC forum. Young love, ah...

Now back to the exquisite Yuna Kim, I am looking forward to viewing this exhibition skate, Meditation from Thais is a favorite of mine.:love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe Kerrigan was a better jumper? I would have made the same bet if she was. Baiul does not look to me as that consistent of a skater (especially jump-wise). I also agree with Scott Hamilton in his chiding comments to the other commentator who said that artistry trumps the bad jumps or something to that effect. Hamilton is always asked to commentate on major ice skating competitions (like the World Championships, Olympics etc) over Wylie and other popular ice skating commentators. I doubt he would be asked so often and at such major events if his comments were that off. I actually find him pretty entertaining and agree with his comments most of time.

Oksana retired from competitive skating after winning the OGM.

I don't think she ever trained as much after she retired and her jumps did suffer for it. BTW, how many Lady skaters try a 3Lutz at this type of event? Did the Lady skaters at FOI do 3Lutzes last summer?

Oksana is still a skater who will always be remembered for her innovative and balletic style. She had a real and lasting impact of Ladies skating.

The announcer's comments you refer to were from a cheesefest. That announcer was not a skater and was more than likely reading from a script.

adoreyuna

Rinkside
Was the interview in English or Korean? (Meaning did she say that in Korean or not?)

I wouldn't trust their translators to get the nuance right if she spoke in Korean the entire time.

Hello eveyone~

How do you do?

I am happy to join in Golden skate.

The interview was in Korean.

"I’m aware that the Olympics are full of surprises and that one could happen to me." ===> This means she will prepare herself for unhappy result, because there is no knowing what the future may bring forth.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
"I’m aware that the Olympics are full of surprises and that one could happen to me." ===> This means she will prepare herself for unhappy result, because there is no knowing what the future may bring forth.

I guess this is good, but I will be really upset if she does not perform and place well. At her best Yuna just blows everyone else out of the water (yes even Mao-sorry), she's simply amazing. Yuna Kim for 2010 Olympic Gold :clap::agree::yes:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Oksana retired from competitive skating after winning the OGM.

I don't think she ever trained as much after she retired and her jumps did suffer for it. BTW, how many Lady skaters try a 3Lutz at this type of event? Did the Lady skaters at FOI do 3Lutzes last summer?

Oksana is still a skater who will always be remembered for her innovative and balletic style. She had a real and lasting impact of Ladies skating.

The announcer's comments you refer to were from a cheesefest. That announcer was not a skater and was more than likely reading from a script.

Lovely words about Oksana, janetfan, much appreciated. :)

Regards the 3Lutz, oddly enough that is Oksana's favorite jump...though she was an edge jumper (her 2A & 3R were things of beauty)....it was her 3L that really set her apart from all the rest when she was on. I'm serious, that's why she always went for this jump in competition, whether eligible or professional. 99% of the time it was too big & as a result she couldn't hold onto the landing. Not only at the aforementioned pro. competition, but others as well, nevertheless she always went for it. My favorite 3L of hers was at the 2000 Goodwill Games. I recall Peter Carruthers said this about it:

One of the most incredible triple lutzes I have ever seen! That's bigger than Brian Boitano's...that was HUGE!

Regards the announcer you mentioned in your quote up above, lol, that was Verne Lundquist, also a huge fan of Oksana Baiul. He first saw Oksana at the 1993 World Championships in Prague, and it was love at first sight, regards her skating of course (btw his mother & Oksana share the same birthday, November 16th): :) The following is what he had to say about Oksana at Ice Wars in 2003:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5emTblCcD-c

Back to Yuna Kim, since this thread is about her after all. :) I just wanted to say that I find it fascinating the little similarities between Oksana & Yuna when it comes to their skating. Both artists of course, but Oksana was known to entrance the judges with her skating, and the same can be said about Yuna, which I noticed (& wrote about) the first time I saw her "James Bond" performance at TEB in October. Both different, but oddly similar. Now "Meditation from Thais". Hmm, food for thought. By the way, as I mentioned at TEB, Oksana is still the only one that can make me do both (laugh & cry & feel excitement all at the same time, be it "The Dying Swan", "Swan Lake", "All That Jazz", "Sadeness", "Dove L'Amore", "Desert Rose", "Wonderful World", "Feeling Begins", "Bolero", "Nobody's Business", "Safe From Harm" & on & on & on ad infinitum). Yuna has yet to make me cry...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Lovely words about Oksana, janetfan, much appreciated. :)

Now "Meditation from Thais". Hmm, food for thought. By the way, as I mentioned at TEB, Oksana is still the only one that can make me do both (laugh & cry & feel excitement all at the same time, be it "The Dying Swan", "Swan Lake", "All That Jazz", "Sadeness", "Dove L'Amore", "Desert Rose", "Wonderful World", "Feeling Begins", "Bolero", "Nobody's Business", "Safe From Harm" & on & on & on ad infinitum). Yuna has yet to make me cry...

How interesting that Oksana has hijacked a Yuna thread :laugh:

I don't know if Yuna has ever made me cry, but watching her "Roxanne" has sure made me happy. :yes:

I have a feeling that Yuna's "Meditation" will be very expressive. I think it is a very good exhibtion program for the Olympics where fans want to see something special from the medal winners.

Here is Oksana's beautiful exhibition after winning the OGM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bH0CAPzef8

Last edited:

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
How interesting that Oksana has hijacked a Yuna thread :laugh:

I don't know if Yuna has ever made me cry, but watching her "Roxanne" has sure made me happy. :yes:

I have a feeling that Yuna's "Meditation" will be very expressive. I think it is a very good exhibtion program for the Olympics where fans want to see something special from the medal winners.

Here is Oksana's beautiful exhibition after winning the OGM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bH0CAPzef8

I loved Oksana's skating when she was 16-year old.

Yu-Na and Oksana have the most beauyiful arms.

This is my all time favorite program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiso8eA2_bg

schiele

Final Flight
Yu-Na and Oksana have the most beauyiful arms.

This is my all time favorite program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiso8eA2_bg

Yes Yuna has wonderful arms indeed. But I have to say I'd take her Roxanne programme or Dans macabre over this gala any day, for the artistic quality she has in those programmes. Funny thing is they are competitive programmes not galas, yet she's so fierce, passionate and musical she can pull off incredible competitive programmes. I feel she does not show the same kind of fire in galas. Oksana's swan gala is a masterpiece in comparison.

I think that a gala programme should lift up the audience with energy, entertainment or profound emotional intensity. Just a couple of recent history examples that immediately come to my mind when thinking of good galas are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thK6U8svp_E (wonderful execution of blues)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1mFEUrTk-E (musical, fun and so light)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjV45j8R3g (absolutely silly and incredibly fun.. he's the master of entertainment)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnJp3M6eJXM (if you don't like fun&silly Plushenko, he can do emotional and profound galas too. This is the best for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=911uxrpcmY0 (100% pure fun and energy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxBvJgKLgA (I guess everyone knows this by now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIk7LskGqc&feature=related (She's made for the audiences)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivi941jVyM8 (Who better than the original showman)

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Although not exactly a gala (in fact it's based on his actual free skate) I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lsMXe_bFA

It could definitely be a gala... if Stephane were to be included at the Olympic gala, this is what I would love to see him do.

Edit: And to be back on topic, I must also agree that I am much more captivated by Yuna's competition performances than her exhibitions.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
Although not exactly a gala (in fact it's based on his actual free skate) I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lsMXe_bFA

It could definitely be a gala... if Stephane were to be included at the Olympic gala, this is what I would love to see him do.

Edit: And to be back on topic, I must also agree that I am much more captivated by Yuna's competition performances than her exhibitions.

I can see Stephane's Poeta programme over and over and over and over again, as a gala, as an LP, as anything.. It's similar to Yuna's Roxanne. Both are incredible masterpieces.. I keep hoping to see smth similar from lambiel for this season's LP but I guess that may be expecting a bit too much.. At least he can still do this for gala maybe? :rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes Yuna has wonderful arms indeed. But I have to say I'd take her Roxanne programme or Dans macabre over this gala any day, for the artistic quality she has in those programmes. Funny thing is they are competitive programmes not galas, yet she's so fierce, passionate and musical she can pull off incredible competitive programmes. I feel she does not show the same kind of fire in galas. Oksana's swan gala is a masterpiece in comparison.

ITA! Yuna has great arms because they are strong and wiry, and the subtle movements really give a unique beauty to her skating. The gala piece is nice, but I saw her perform Danse Macabre live last year and it was SO good :love: .. I'm actually surprised she's been breaking all the records with the 007 SP this year, I mean obviously she is a great skater, but I am not quite as impressed with the choreography and her expression in it as I was with Tango De Roxanne and Danse Macabre. Yuna is a very sophisticated skater and while she still pulls of the whole sexy look in 007, the program seems almost kind of silly.

schiele

Final Flight
ITA! Yuna has great arms because they are strong and wiry, and the subtle movements really give a unique beauty to her skating. The gala piece is nice, but I saw her perform Danse Macabre live last year and it was SO good :love: .. I'm actually surprised she's been breaking all the records with the 007 SP this year, I mean obviously she is a great skater, but I am not quite as impressed with the choreography and her expression in it as I was with Tango De Roxanne and Danse Macabre. Yuna is a very sophisticated skater and while she still pulls of the whole sexy look in 007, the program seems almost kind of silly.

Ditto! You put my thoughts on paper.. ;)

Ptolemy

Rinkside
ITA! I'm actually surprised she's been breaking all the records with the 007 SP this year, I mean obviously she is a great skater, but I am not quite as impressed with the choreography and her expression in it as I was with Tango De Roxanne and Danse Macabre. Yuna is a very sophisticated skater and while she still pulls of the whole sexy look in 007, the program seems almost kind of silly.
I think the problem is how do you raise the bar from a Danse Macabre. What could have measured up? I think the move to an 007 type was likely the best way to go.