Pairs Long Program Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program Thread

hongligl

Final Flight
If Sui/Han do end up making the GPF final, it will be interesting to see what the Chinese Federation does as far as having them do one or the other, or both. Frankly, I don't see how they can do both competently. The schedule is:
December 9 21:00 Junior Pairs SP
December 10 20:35 Senior Pairs SP
December 11 15:20 Junior Pairs FS and 20:40 Senior Pairs FS

That's 4 programs in about 48 hour time span. And the long programs are different time durations for jr vs sr. If the Federation chooses one, it may come down to how many world standings points they are likely to get--GPF and probable lower placement, vs JGPF and probably higher placement/medal.

I read that Sui/Han's coach said that even if they made it to the GPF, they would still do the JGPF. GP for them just serves as learning and gaining experience for the furure. That's an oportunity for the first substitute if Sui/Han make it to the GPF..

hongligl

Final Flight
I like Sui/Han and I hate cutesy kids - but they skate as adults so the cutesy does not apply. They are, imo, the best Pairs team in figure skating today.

I love this pair too. So fresh and incredible speed, passion, and technical difficulties. I don't get it why Dai's busy moves being credited as great skating skills but Sui/Han in the same situation considered poor skating skills.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I like Sui/Han and I hate cutesy kids - but they skate as adults so the cutesy does not apply. They are, imo, the best Pairs team in figure skating today.
That is a VERY bold statement. I'd be more inclined to say they aren't the best Pairs today, but possibly have the potential to be the best Pairs in the future. Unless she grows and he doesn't.

I read that Sui/Han's coach said that even if they made it to the GPF, they would still do the JGPF. GP for them just serves as learning and gaining experience for the furure. That's an oportunity for the first substitute if Sui/Han make it to the GPF..

Makes sense. I don't know how the ISU calculates overall points, but it seems S/H would be better off strategically, doing only the JGPF for this year. I think they have already accomplished the key intent of participating in the Sr GP--which was to make a creditable showing, and make everyone sit up and take notice. I think they can check off those boxes as Mission Accomplished.

lavender

Record Breaker
Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

That is a VERY bold statement. I'd be more inclined to say they aren't the best Pairs today, but possibly have the potential to be the best Pairs in the future. Unless she grows and he doesn't.

Love Sui/Han but Ita. They have the potential to be the best but they aren't the best now imo...not yet.

I like to see how people skate once they've matured in their bodies to see how great they can or can not be. Puberty is crazy and I'm concern for both.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
S/H need to mature. She looks like a kid and they have choppy stroking. Her jumps also seem tiny and she seems to two foot . I guess they could develop into the next big thing, but I dont see the smooth look that some of the young Russians have for instance.

wewe008

Rinkside
If Sui/Han do end up making the GPF final, it will be interesting to see what the Chinese Federation does as far as having them do one or the other, or both. Frankly, I don't see how they can do both competently. The schedule is:
December 9 21:00 Junior Pairs SP
December 10 20:35 Senior Pairs SP
December 11 15:20 Junior Pairs FS and 20:40 Senior Pairs FS

That's 4 programs in about 48 hour time span. And the long programs are different time durations for jr vs sr. If the Federation chooses one, it may come down to how many world standings points they are likely to get--GPF and probable lower placement, vs JGPF and probably higher placement/medal.

S/H will compete in junior final instead of senior final-- their coach LuanBo said.

wewe008

Rinkside
I can't agree to "S/H 's basic skill is poor"
They have speed ,transition, the whole package.
Which their weakness are the spins and her single jump(to my eyes, it's too low,just above the ice)

oleada

Record Breaker
S/H's basics ARE poor. Just take a look at her edges, in particular. I think the program is choreographed as busy to disguise their flaws, and it works well. Which is not to say that they don't have great elements or personality on the ice - but that doesn't mean that their basics don't need a lot of work.

I think calling them the best team in the world is a bit ludicrous at this point. Potential? Yes, they have it in spades. But her SBS are tiny and prone to under-rotation, the basics need work as I mentioned above, as well as in general unison and pairness. Those are things that come with time. I think they skate a bit "small" still which is understandable given their ages.

If she grows much, I can't see them being a suitable match, because he is so short. That said, I don't believe for a second that she is actually 15...

hongligl

Final Flight
For S/S's costume, I still don't get the pink. The Pink Panther is the name of the diamond, isn't it? Why the character in pink? Isn't she supposed to be the thief?

mousepotato

On the Ice
S/H are moot at this point. As soon as pubery hits her that team will be done, she will have out grown him. Unless she finds another partner (very hard to do) I give them a year or two before they are out.