Ladies SP, Friday, 11/25/11 6AM EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP, Friday, 11/25/11 6AM EST

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Poor Rachel, a clean program with no UR and she ends up 8th? Making the world team this year is really not looking good. :(

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have a problem with Alena program when she starts her footwork, i m not freaking out when skaters pose and that kind, but her moves are like she is in a photoshoot or something? I just cringe on that very moment. Otherwise her footwork is fun. I m used by now to see her having that kind of fun programs, what i really hate is the mix music in Lp - the whole program actually. Her sp at least is happy.
Adelina! :clap:I love Adelina's new dress, much better than the blue trousers, it is very girly and black suits her. Her spins and extentions are wonderful. I think she is rushing on her choreography, especially after the jumps, the same impact I have for Liza also, like they want to end it fast. She is not doing it in her exhibition though.

Mao :love::love: the ressurection! Strange hands as someone said but overall her skate is like a feather! Her costume is dreamy also. This comeback is the best ever!

I like Haruka, and for one more reason, her name in greek means joyful, so I think of it whenever I watch her. And Sofia is really nice to watch, I hope she goes to Euros!
The rest I dont remember.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Nice clean performance by Mao, but the whole time I was thinking whom would I pick to be World Champion this year ~ Mao? Carolina? Alissa?

If they all skate clean, my pick for the short would be:

1. Carolina (for her speed, explosive jumps when perfect, lots of transitions and best choreography in my mind)
2. Mao (on the assumption of only 2A. She may beat Carolina with 3A.)
3. Alissa (graceful but lacking transitions)

skatinginbc

Medalist
First, it really annoys me that the British eurosport commentators said Asada only won the short because of her reputation. Seriously? Did they not watch her skate? Imo, she was in a class of her own, and what more do the judges want? She should be getting at least 8's in PCS! :p

Second, where in Alena's program are there transitions or choreography worthy of 7 and 7.50? :disapp: I absolutely agree that her skating skills, performance and interpretation should be in the 7-8 range, but the program is stripped of transitions and the choreography/composition sucks! No offence, but it shouldn't take 1 minute to perform a SlSt! :rolleye:

Agreed. Mao's footwork was effortless, while the Russians' looked labored. Alena's programs were full of rest stops for her feet. The judges must have had a happy meal this morning. Everyone was overscored. The top three ordinal was correct though.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao :love::love: the ressurection! Strange hands as someone said but overall her skate is like a feather! Her costume is dreamy also. This comeback is the best ever!

I agree. Mao's short is her best since her Nocturne of several years ago. And this year, she has a great long program to go with it. I'm hoping for two clean performances from Mao, a rarity, these days.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I agree. Mao's short is her best since her Nocturne of several years ago. And this year, she has a great long program to go with it. I'm hoping for two clean performances from Mao, a rarity, these days.

I'm sure that with her confidence back we will see many clean skates from her. It's strange because with Mao, it's either very good or very bad. I don't remember ever thinking about one of her programs "it was so and so". Like I've said, it's either a disaster or a very good performance. Last season it was very bad but I like what we are seeing this season so far

mary01

Final Flight
I'm sure that with her confidence back we will see many clean skates from her. It's strange because with Mao, it's either very good or very bad. I don't remember ever thinking about one of her programs "it was so and so". Like I've said, it's either a disaster or a very good performance. Last season it was very bad but I like what we are seeing this season so far

well last season Mao was reworking her jumps right before the season began due to her finding a coach so late in the season, so it was unavoidable for her to have had the start that she had, but I'm soo thrilled to see her hard work and determination finally paying off... I really admire her soo much after taking such a risky and hard decision... she really is such an impressive skater ad love the fact that her programs are always soo unique which makes them so memorable compared to the other ladies!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Poor Rachel, a clean program with no UR and she ends up 8th? Making the world team this year is really not looking good. :(

You may have thought the same thing last year but she made it there. Wagner and Nagasu are the only ones who can compete for the second spot assuming Czisny will continue to be good and Wagner and Nagasu have major nationals problems recently.

Good that Mao is doing well. At least when she goes backwards in jumps she is still ahead of most.

brightphoton

Medalist

I noticed she has level 3 spins now. Did she always have that? It seems a bit low, and she's not exactly racking up the GOEs on them either.

The East of Eden music works for her. My mother calls it Michelle's lucky music.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I love Alena. I'm sorry, I know she lacks in skating skills but she just gets so into her programs and their typically goofy nature suits her so well somehow. Really happy to see how well she's done this year, I don't want her to get passed over by the gaggle of incoming pixies.

Mao needs to keep the 3A out of it. She only needed it for Kim. Every other lady in the world at this point is but dust on her shoulders assuming relatively clean skates.

Poor Rachel, it seems any goodwill she previously had from international judges has completely evaporated.

genki

On the Ice
Mao Mao, I am so happy for her. Her skate is so smooth and effortless. Wonderful quality. Nadine, do not worry, she will put 3A at worlds, which makes the selection so easy for you:laugh:

Rachel--Robbed. Really sad.
Haruka- I love her soft arms, wonderful expression, fast spins, beautiful smiles. This girl will be something in the future . Watch out!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I meant that two clean skates are a rarity from any of the ladies, not just Mao.

Kinga

Medalist
I admire Alena's charisma and energy, she gives out everything on the ice. But that program... I cringe when I look at the multiple cheap posing and so called 'choreography'. I also do not think she is that fast. Her footwork looks heavy and laboured.

I cannot understand Korpi's scoring. 55 for 3T-2T, 3R with turnout and a single axel? Really?? And that scores higher than Haruka's more difficult, clean and lovely program? Higher than Rachel? Almost as high as Biryukova, who had a 3-3 and 3R and by any means is not a plain skater? Sorry, but it starts to be very annoying. She does not have any particular 'signature' element - her jumps, spins, footwork are just average. If she had executed the 2A, judges would have not hesistated to put her in 3rd, very close to the top 2. And it does not seem right. JMO

My placements:
Mao
Alena (yes, although I hate that program)
Haruka
Sofia
Adelina (I adore her extension and I like the program very much. But she must nail that combo)
Rachel

burntBREAD

Medalist
Why did Haruka get negative GOE on her loop? That was a real beauty. Also, she skates very fast, has good TR, CH, PE, and IN in this SP...I would have at least tied her with Adelina in PCS at least.

brightphoton

Medalist
Why did Haruka get negative GOE on her loop? That was a real beauty. Also, she skates very fast, has good TR, CH, PE, and IN in this SP...I would have at least tied her with Adelina in PCS at least.

That was weird, some judges gave her a -1. I would've given +1 or +2. The judges were off. They probably held her down because she's a new skater.

Also she's Japan's #6 skater or something

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I admire Alena's charisma and energy, she gives out everything on the ice. But that program... I cringe when I look at the multiple cheap posing and so called 'choreography'. I also do not think she is that fast. Her footwork looks heavy and laboured.

I cannot understand Korpi's scoring. 55 for 3T-2T, 3R with turnout and a single axel? Really?? And that scores higher than Haruka's more difficult, clean and lovely program? Higher than Rachel? Almost as high as Biryukova, who had a 3-3 and 3R and by any means is not a plain skater? Sorry, but it starts to be very annoying. She does not have any particular 'signature' element - her jumps, spins, footwork are just average. If she had executed the 2A, judges would have not hesistated to put her in 3rd, very close to the top 2. And it does not seem right. JMO

My placements:
Mao
Alena (yes, although I hate that program)
Haruka
Sofia
Adelina (I adore her extension and I like the program very much. But she must nail that combo)
Rachel

I'm not sure I totally agree, but what difference do the placements make? There is only about a 5 point difference between third and eighth so Rachael or others with low rankings can move up, especially if higher ranked skaters falter in the long. Of course, she and others could move down, too, but it all depends on the number of points, not where the judges think they rank compared to other skaters.