SENIOR LADIES FREE SKATING Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

SENIOR LADIES FREE SKATING Thread

skateflower

Match Penalty
Except for Alena's placement, I'm okay with the gold and silver medalists. However, the field is astonishingly weak. Look at the jumps those top 4 Jr. ladies have done. All have tried very difficult 7 jump layouts, and mostly succeeded.

Medusa

Record Breaker
CARA - I agree about the dress, it bothered me a lot. The green is cool, it is the cut that I dislike (I dislike this even on ice dancers)....and they could still get the effect of the shape using lighter shades of green so as not to scream naked (although she isn't, but that is the effect now). anyway, she is quite the skater and I will enjoy watching her grow I hope over many, many years.

I don't like the outfit for the short program much more either - dressing a 14-year-old in a sexy black Tango dress + the make-up and some phony Tango moves, that often even look silly on women in their twenties - because Tango is a dance that basically screams maturity, at least in my book. I really prefer the youthful programs for the youthful skaters. I think Murakami, Nagasu and also Kim (except that Roxanne program, but even that was bearable) are good examples for skaters who had relatively youthful age-appropriate programs and outfits in their early years on the scene.

katia

On the Ice
"I am too angry and disgusted not to address re: Liza's dress."
Frankly, I even did not notice it. I just enjoyed her skating. But you may be right, it was not appropriate for someone that young. However I loved the green colour.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have been hesitant to speak up, but I am too angry and disgusted not to address re: Liza's dress. :scowl:
That dress was downright inappropriate for any skaters but especially for such a young girl. Even with allusion fabric, lime green fabric barely covered one third of her upper body. Together with her very explicit make up, she looked like child molesters' fantasy come true. I am sorry to state such a shocking remark, but I am serious about this.

Her coach, Mishin ought to know better; otherwise he would look just like Joe Paternao, a new disgraced Penn State college football coach who had been allegedly complicit in his former staff, Sandusky's multiple child molestation for decades.
I find the dress tacky and not age appropriate, but the comparison to the events at Penn State is completely out of line. The events there were horrifying and tragic. There's no parallel that can or should be drawn.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I do think the dress is inappropriate but for everyone, not just little girls. And I think it's pretty ugly as well. She shouldn't try to look so grown up right now. Her last dress was really nice- she looked fully covered, the red color fit her, and it was very sparkly. I don't see why she would change it to something like that.

However, I am really happy for Tuktamysheva for getting into the finals. I would like to see her in third place but she has a lot of time to learn and get better and will hopefully return to the final in years to come and then win. She has already done a lot and this season has been more than successful for her. It's a little early right now. But I'd love to see her become a top skater soon.

pohatta

On the Ice
Akiko did two 3lutzes without a combination, but did she do the same with 3loop? If she did, how much points did she miss altogether?

SXTN

Final Flight
Pretty poor competition!

I've expected more from Alissa and Carolina.

Alissa's jumps were a total mess (she doesn't lift up, has no speed going in and out of the jumps etc etc etc .. horrible technique) and Carolina was off-axis on every jump except the 2A-3T and had to hold on to the landings (like we have seen her do the past years). Even that opening Loop which she performed so spectacular at the beginning of the season was jerky. If she tries her jump layout from two years ago (1 Lutz, 2 Flips) we see the usual Kostner falling at least 2 times in a program.

Yuna: coma back!
Mao: We're sorry for what has happend. Please make your mother proud in the future :rolleye:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Addendum:

It's pretty low blaming Mr. Mishin for that dress. After all he is just her coach, but the lady sitting in the K&C is the one responsible for the other half. If you got an issue, take it up with her. But it's a low blow to compare Mishin to a convicted child molester/pedeophile. *thumbs down*

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Comparing Mishin to a child molester is downright disrespectful and totally uncalled for! Shame on you! :sheesh:

Does it maybe occur to some of you that there is a clash of cultures here? The fashion among a lot of girls/young women in Russia is a lot different than in North America for example. Anyway...

The ladies skated well this evening. :biggrin:

SLouise

Rinkside
Cara didn't compare Mishin to the child molester. She compared him to the guy who knew about the molestation and did nothing to stop it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congrats to Carolina, truly deserved it !!! :)
and Im beginning to warm up to Alena, even though still has problems you can she has determination

Liza's dress was terrible on the other hand, glad she bounced back at LP
although she still had errors I think she was rushing her jumps too much
off topic, Adelina won Zagreb and Lisa 4th so lets see how they do battling again each other at Nationals :biggrin:

I think Alissa should take a chance and skate to music that is more rousing or has a driving beat. Maybe this would give her more oomph going into her jumps than the pretty-girl music that she is so comfortable with.

calbskate

Rinkside
An article on IN says that Alissa sustained a calf injury while practicing triple flip in practice...I hope she recovers soon!

npavel

On the Ice
Kostner's jump content is just laughable, 3t, 3s, 3loop and 2a??

This is another example of the stupidity of CoP. If you win by doing the simple jumps, why the hell would you need to try the harder ones?
You miss a few ones! she did 3L, 3F, 2A+3T, 3T+2T,3S,3S+2T that's a total of 6 triples and the only one missing is the 3Lz on witch she is working. Ok, today there were not the flawless landings she had yesterday, but she was by far the most enjoyable skater out there.

Hate really Tuktamishevas dress. Couldn't enjoy her skate being distract by that. In any case her pcs were not to low at all, she has to work on that and improve.

loved the podium

DianaSelene

Medalist
Comparing Mishin to a child molester is downright disrespectful and totally uncalled for! Shame on you! :sheesh:

Does it maybe occur to some of you that there is a clash of cultures here? The fashion among a lot of girls/young women in Russia is a lot different than in North America for example. Anyway...

The ladies skated well this evening. :biggrin:

No, I'm sure in Russia that would be unacceptable as well.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I hope all the mature women here, professionals and mothers of young girls see that the sexualization of young women through clothing, makeup and shoes is rampant in western cultures. There is no excuse for the revealing costumes in figure skating (especially competition). I hope you register these sentiments in a Russian forum or Liza's website if she has one. Her team should not try to make her look 30. She may have a mature style and all, but she is a child. Remember how age appropriate MK, Irina were? Look at the clothing in the stores. Teenagers now wear things hookers were known for 20 years ago. While I am not sure where the blame lies in her team,it is a shame that people don't make the connection to early sexual intercourse, teen pregnancies, low self-esteem seen in girls that are pushed from puberty into current styles. Sex sells, but at what price?

Obviously, older, mature posters will see these trends and understand the connection. I feel Liza is a great skater, and while they want her to look like a 'Lady skater'- this is not the way. Classiness, elegance, age appropriate costumes are favored by judges, at least I hope. It is an important issue, far more impt. than most skater discussions. Thank you Cara for having courage to speak up.

SXTN

Final Flight
I hope all the mature women here, professionals and mothers of young girls see that the sexualization of young women through clothing, makeup and shoes is rampant in western cultures. There is no excuse for the revealing costumes in figure skating (especially competition). I hope you register these sentiments in a Russian forum or Liza's website if she has one. Her team should not try to make her look 30. She may have a mature style and all, but she is a child. Remember how age appropriate MK, Irina were? Look at the clothing in the stores. Teenagers now wear things hookers were known for 20 years ago. While I am not sure where the blame lies in her team,it is a shame that people don't make the connection to early sexual intercourse, teen pregnancies, low self-esteem seen in girls that are pushed from puberty into current styles. Sex sells, but at what price?

Obviously, older, mature posters will see these trends and understand the connection. I feel Liza is a great skater, and while they want her to look like a 'Lady skater'- this is not the way. Classiness, elegance, age appropriate costumes are favored by judges, at least I hope. It is an important issue, far more impt. than most skater discussions. Thank you Cara for having courage to speak up.

In America you sell guns to everyone but if a young girl tries to look pretty you talk about child molestation. You go!

Pruuuuuude!