skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

m0001

On the Ice
Dear skatingfan4ever, did you notice the following sentence:

"The production will tour from coast-to-coast across Canada, and will include a few U.S. cities as well. " :love:

m0001

On the Ice
Glad "Stars on Ice" in Ottawa was not cancelled because of the devastating flood.

Quite amazing especially because it was such a busy day for the mayor. The mayor twitted:"Proud to present the Key to the City to Patrick Chan in recognition of his outstanding accomplishments in Canadian, Olympic and international figure skating. Thank you for your continued dedication to community organizations and your work to make sports safer and more inclusive."

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/1122914921287520257

emdee

Final Flight
Saw Patrick on SOI.
His to build a Home program was amazing.
Dont edges left me breathless!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Saw Patrick on SOI.
His to build a Home program was amazing.
Dont edges left me breathless!
I found a video from London. Edges, edges, edges, edges, edges. :love::love::love: This is what "figure skating" means. His blades left the ice for a 2A, a 3T, a death drop, and a flying sit spin. THAT'S IT!!! Everything else was edges and gliding and held positions. Divine! The program is beautiful and definitely worth multiple viewings. I can't explain how when Patrick skates he captures the heart of the music with his blades. Especially in the "To Build a Home" section, he captures the instrumentation so well and every note I am glued to the screen to see what Patrick is doing. Every note and beat is acknowledged. It's always a treat to see a new program from Patrick, especially without the technical and artistic constraints imposed by competition. I'm glad you had a good experience, Emdee, and got to see Patrick live again.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
A recent interview says Patrick had a skii accident last December, tearing two ligaments in his knee.

https://www.vavel.com/en-us/more-sp...-life-uncertain-future-of-figure-skating.html
There are so many great things about this interview. It covers a lot of different topics, and Patrick has the space to express his full thoughts instead of getting cut off for time constraints. His views of musicality have intrigued me for a while. He speaks of tuning out the music by the end of the season, but it (usually) didn't appear that he was doing that. He is one of the skaters who always held my attention for every second of the program, no matter how badly the jumps were going. I love his quote about edges and how he doesn't want them to become a lost art. "...that’s what makes me enjoy skating even more now. It’s the control of edges — I much more appreciate it now — and to lose that would be a big shame." Those skills that Mr. Colson tenaciously taught him are now what he prizes the most. His emphasis on edges is so obvious in the Great Escape/To Build a Home program that he and Liz choreographed together. He knows how to hold an edge and hold a position for artistic effect, and it's a beautiful quality.

I am sad to hear about his skiing accident. As I said for the entire season before he retired, anytime we get to see Patrick skate is a gift that's not to be taken lightly. From this interview, his show career may end sooner than we think. :cry: But nothing is certain right now, even for Patrick. He says he'll make a big decision by 2022 about whether to continue skating. That is so close it's scary! :eek: Let's enjoy everything Patrick gives us.

Imov

Medalist
Nice to see various interviews of him are popping up.
How did his workshop in China go? Was it concluded now?
Sometimes I wish Patrick could judge FS competitions in the future, I believe he will judge according to superb skating skills.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I will never forget what Keegan Messing gave us at 2019 Skate America. His SP and his Ex moved me SO deeply. He reminded me so much of Patrick in those programs, with the speed, the ice coverage, the smoothness, the edges and skating skills, and the way every single moment was meaningful in terms of expression and movement. I wanted to watch them both again and again to absorb every little detail. So, in addition to Keegan’s brilliance on the ice, and its heartwarming and heartbreaking backstory, I also ended up longing for more programs from Patrick. Fancams have been few and far between since TTYCT. I LOVE “The Great Escape/To Build A Home.” Other than RTR, that seems to be his most recent Ex. The way Patrick talks, he won’t be skating for very much longer. I wonder if/when he’ll do new Exs. I’m surprised there’s not more fancams. Oh well. To sum up, I LOVED watching Keegan at SA, and in addition to all the other reasons to be moved, I was moved because it reminded me of how it felt when I watched Patrick skate. I miss Patrick.

I started posting in Keegan’s Fan Fest – that is how moved I am and I’m still processing it. I hadn’t posted anything significant on GS in a very long time, but with Keegan at SA, I felt the need to express myself this way again. It feels so good to write about skating again, and now that I’m back in the groove a little, those long posts I said I would write about Patrick may be done sooner than later (although real life has gotten in the way lately).

This thread has been so quiet that I don’t know if very many people will read this post. I needed to get these thoughts out. I am so grateful when skaters move me deeply like this. It's why I'm still a figure skating fan. Can we commiserate together, please? ;)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I will never forget what Keegan Messing gave us at 2019 Skate America. His SP and his Ex moved me SO deeply. He reminded me so much of Patrick in those programs, with the speed, the ice coverage, the smoothness, the edges and skating skills, and the way every single moment was meaningful in terms of expression and movement. I wanted to watch them both again and again to absorb every little detail. So, in addition to Keegan’s brilliance on the ice, and its heartwarming and heartbreaking backstory, I also ended up longing for more programs from Patrick. Fancams have been few and far between since TTYCT. I LOVE “The Great Escape/To Build A Home.” Other than RTR, that seems to be his most recent Ex. The way Patrick talks, he won’t be skating for very much longer. I wonder if/when he’ll do new Exs. I’m surprised there’s not more fancams. Oh well. To sum up, I LOVED watching Keegan at SA, and in addition to all the other reasons to be moved, I was moved because it reminded me of how it felt when I watched Patrick skate. I miss Patrick.

I started posting in Keegan’s Fan Fest – that is how moved I am and I’m still processing it. I hadn’t posted anything significant on GS in a very long time, but with Keegan at SA, I felt the need to express myself this way again. It feels so good to write about skating again, and now that I’m back in the groove a little, those long posts I said I would write about Patrick may be done sooner than later (although real life has gotten in the way lately).

This thread has been so quiet that I don’t know if very many people will read this post. I needed to get these thoughts out. I am so grateful when skaters move me deeply like this. It's why I'm still a figure skating fan. Can we commiserate together, please? ;)

Thank you for such a heartfelt post.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
A little update: Patrick posts stuff on Twitter and Instagram on occasion, and sometimes there's different things between the two sites. You can go to https://twitter.com/pchiddy and https://www.instagram.com/pchan31/?hl=en and view what he posts without an account.

Patrick's solo number at RTR is "Shout." Patrick lets loose and it's a lot of fun. There are several group numbers in RTR also. Just go to YouTube, type in "rock the rink tour 2019" and get lost down the rabbit hole. There's more than one person who has uploaded several or all the programs, so check their channels if you prefer videos from one person. Like I said, though, it's a rabbit hole, but it makes me so happy!

At 2019 CSOI Patrick did "Suit and Tie/Rock Your Body" and "The Great Escape/To Build a Home."

I shared a fancam of "Storm" (the Ex where Eric plays the piano while Patrick skates) here when Patrick started performing it at TTYCT. However, this version is unique because it was filmed as Jordan Cowan chased Patrick around the ice. There was no audience, so the focus is entirely on Patrick and the music. The on-the-ice camera work shows the program in a completely different way. The tiniest movements and details in it are front and center, not to mention Patrick's speed over the ice. He's flying. Here's how Jordan described his experience of filming it:

"This routine had me in tears while I shot it. Everything from Eric’s music to Patrick’s powerful skating, and the relationship between the two as friends and teammates, brings this routine to life. And boy does chasing P Chiddy around the rink make you feel ALIVE!!! I felt every red blood cell in my body racing, while breathing quietly so I could keep the on camera audio."

I said there were so few fancams, but I hadn't looked at all. I wish there were more fancams of TGE/TBAH, but oh well. For RTR, there are multiple fancams of many skaters. My cup has been filled somewhat. I wish Patrick and the whole cast a fabulous rest of RTR. Thank you all for skating. I can't attend, but even from the videos, the show is intimate, emotional, fun, and amazing!!! :love::love::love:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan and Joannie Rochette named Athlete Ambassadors for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020:

https://skatecanada.ca/2019/11/patr...-isu-world-figure-skating-championships-2020/
Thanks for sharing. It was nice to get a tiny tidbit on Patrick (still doing skating seminars) and to hear that Joannie is still in medical school and remembers her skating days with fondness. We'll get a glimpse of both of them at Worlds. I'm hoping for more cute interviews like the one Patrick and Elladj did with Keegan at GPF. 4everchan once joked/wished Patrick would show up at Montreal 2020, and it turns out he will be there, in an official capacity no less. Now, if somehow they invite him to skate in the gala...:laugh: :p (I'm kidding; I know that won't happen).

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
This was brought to The Edge, and it belongs here as well. Patrick and Kaetlyn were interviewed before RTR in Newfoundland. Both of them are getting some coaching experience. It's mentioned how Patrick helped a skater with her 2A, and Patrick says, "I can barely do a 2A now that I've retired." :laugh: My favorite Patrick quotes are at the end.

"My biggest suggestion or advice [for young skaters] is to not get too carried away with what other people are doing. I've learned, in my career, that it's very important to focus on the goals you've set for yourself, the things you want to achieve. And sometimes it's not material things like a medal or a title," he said.

"Everybody has their own gold medal standard. … There's so many aspects of skating and the sporting world that you can find your own little gold medal in your life, even if it's not the actual medal."

As for competition itself, Chan said performing the best you can, and watching others, is a good way to learn, too.

"Take everything in," he said. "Be a sponge."

Also, after the article is a game of "This or That." It's HILARIOUS, with much laughter and smiling from Patrick and Kaetlyn. Patrick has never skated on a pond before (and his expression after admitting that was priceless :laugh:). Patrick likes doing both laundry AND dishes. He likes going out for nice dinners, while Kaetlyn wants meals in bed. Patrick would rather do a Salchow and Kaetlyn would rather do an Axel, although her first answer was "neither." On the final choice, "Scott or Tessa" Patrick said Scott and Kaetlyn said Tessa, but each said sorry to the one they didn't choose. It's an amazing video and my highlights written down don't do it justice. Watch and enjoy! I :love: the laughter, smiles, and genuine fun!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...tlyn-osmond-figure-skating-st-johns-1.5366079