Patrick Chan | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think we should have a Nobunari Oda and Jason Brown safe house thread. :)

:) Not bashing them. I used them as exmples because they are good skaters. You know how I root for Oda, and am waiting for Brown to get over his growth spurt and get his 3A. Just a little bothered to see so many good skaters do that.

eta. Goodness, I have to bring these over from Dai's thread because they are so cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWv9IhtsHik

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMxOTU5NTk2.html

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
MK did not skate when so much footwork was required but she had beautiful edges and staying on your feet through 7 triples time after time is quite a skating skill. She was not as balletic or fast over the ice as Gordeeva but Gordeeva was a pair skater, not any kind of jumper. Always lovely at what she can do, though.

MK did not skate when so much footwork was required but she had beautiful edges and staying on your feet through 7 triples time after time is quite a skating skill. She was not as balletic or fast over the ice as Gordeeva but Gordeeva was a pair skater, not any kind of jumper. Always lovely at what she can do, though.

Gordeyeva's skating skills were (still are, for that matter) so phenomenal. At first I thought it was because of the kind of training Soviet pairs skaters received, but she was unique even among Soviet/Russian pairs ladies, wasn't she? Interestingly, one of her regular choreographers both as an amateur and as a professional was Marina Zoueva. I wonder what influence these two pillars of skating had on each other through the years.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So Patrick will skate next at Japan Nationals Gala. Nice to be invited; it shows his skating is appreciated in Japan. I'm sure he'll enjoy watching the competitions too, especially Men. :) I hope to be able to celebrate Christmas with Japan Nationals on stream.

That's great that he got invited by Japan! But doesn't it cut off some of his training time for Nationals? But if Chan himself thinks it's ok, then it is ok.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That's great that he got invited by Japan! But doesn't it cut off some of his training time for Nationals? But if Chan himself thinks it's ok, then it is ok.

Well, he needs to raise funds for training and to make up for the donation from his GPF prize, and the opportunity does not exist for him in Canada. At least it's not a competition so it's more relaxed and he will probably have some fun with his friends, after they have competed. I doubt he'll get to use their rink for practice though, besides what is necessary for the show.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, he needs to raise funds for training and to make up for the donation from his GPF prize, and the opportunity does not exist for him in Canada. At least it's not a competition so it's more relaxed and he will probably have some fun with his friends, after they have competed. I doubt he'll get to use their rink for practice though, besides what is necessary for the show.

True.:scowl:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually this may be the last or close to last opportunity to watch Shen/Zhao perform as they plan to retire from skating all together and to focus on promoting the sport and training young athletes in China, besides starting a family.

lavender

Record Breaker

When I think of Kwan's edges I think of Dante's Prayer.

There's one program that I love by Gordeeva that shows off her edges beautifully but I can't think of the song.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Doris, thanks so much for creating this thread! LOL, one should have been created for Lysacek a while ago...

I have been a fan of Chan´s skating for some years. There are many reasons why I love to watch it, but most of all I love the way he floats on the ice totally effortlessly. And his speed is very good, too, unlike with some skaters who may look very elegant on the ice, but lack the speed. Our commentators are gushing about Chan´s edges very much.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Athlete of the Year: Patrick Chan

Another award, this time from CBC. Congratulations, Patrick!

The year-end accolades keep coming. I know it makes a bad Christmas for some people, but what a time for Patrick and for figure skating in Canada!

Merry Christmas, Patrick! May you have many more titles in years to come.

^ It does not make a bad Christmas for anyone. Anyone with an interest in figure skating is pleased by this sort of news.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's better for skating to have Patrick get awards than to have awards go to a Canadian rules football player or a hockey player instead :laugh:
Way to go, Patrick! Keep on keeping skating popular in Canada!!!

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
So is he going to add 4S in the long program? If so, I guess 4S and 4T3T to open the long program? Or 3 quads in the long program?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is there money coming with it? :) Oh well, it's better than nothing I guess.

Lou Marsh award came with $5000 to the charity of his choice, Think First. :thumbsup:

So far this year, Patrick only lost once, to a tragically and publicly deceased Olympian. RIP, Hickstead.

So is he going to add 4S in the long program? If so, I guess 4S and 4T3T to open the long program? Or 3 quads in the long program?

Probably 3 quads. We'll have to wait and see. Not too surprised he's sticking with his plan.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
What a lovely thread! Thanks so much for this! Truly a lovely Christmas gift!

People here have expressed so eloquently why they admire Patrick. I don't think I could do better. For me he combines the technical excellence of Elvis and the brilliant interpretation of Kurt. For years and years it seemed that Olympic gold was always Russian or U.S. dominated and it was amazing to me that with all the wonderful male skaters we've had here in Canada, we have never had gold! I do so hope that Patrick can do it for us.