Patrick Chan | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Patrick may be the best male skater Kurt has seen, but he isn't the best male skater I've seen....That's Kurt.

*joins Tonichelle in death glare*

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick agrees.

"First of all, Kurt doesn't remember what he says," Chan said with a laugh. "He may regret saying that. Maybe it's a good thing but I don't even think I'm at that point yet. As much as these guys tell me I'm at that point ... I could never compare myself to Kurt. I'm telling myself every day, that's what I'm working to. I'm still working on it, I'm still working for that point of being a showman, not just being a competitor. As much as people may tell me I'm one of the best, it's still not enough for me."

Give the man-child some time. I think for the short time he's been on the scene, he's demonstrated a range and versatility already. Just look at his programs from the recent two years. Kurt's artistry really shines after his competitive career and he has had such longevity, which I'm not sure Patrick is going for. So I'll enjoy whatever he brings while he's at it.

Last edited:
Don't worry, SF. It's going to be fun waiting to see how Patrick will grow, and I'll be thrilled if he becomes as good as his potential suggests. If one loves skating, it's always a wonderful thing to see someone new who turns out to be amazing. When Yagudin came along, none of us said, "Oh, dear, there's no room left at the top. We can't go encouraging this guy." We just said, "Wow!" And after Yagudin, there turned out to be room at the top for Takahashi. The more the merrier!

Of course, Kurt's still the unparallelled one for me. Probably now and forever. I suspect that Patrick will be all that for you in the years to come, SF.

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I did, I did. Thanks so much for adding him in, SF. Definitely up there at the top.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
:laugh: :clap: This child is going to be better than Kurt B-b-br (Dare I say it out loud?)

Simply delusional, MM. Everyone who is anyone in skating knows kurt will never be surpassed by Chan or any current wannabe. Seriously, me thinks there has been a little too much rum eggnog over the holidays, Mr math!;)

emma

Record Breaker
Boeging 787 thanks so much for posting Chan's EX video! Very interesting!!!! (I saw shades of the Chan-Takahashi battles to come watching this, with a huge smile on my face :love: )

That last jumping pass with - was it 2 wallys in a row - was really cool. Looked like he had fun too!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Eh...no, not everyone. I have no doubt Chan will (if not already has) surpass Browning.

I don't see the same performance quality yet. He may at some point, but definitely has not become a consummate performer like Browning up to this point. To me, he does what he's told choreographically, he doesn't sell it. There's no emotion to it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Browning as an amateur wasn't a patch on Browning as a pro--Patrick may well develop the same way. It will be fun to see whether he does or not.