Senior Pairs SP, Thus. Jan. 26 at 7:00 pm EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs SP, Thus. Jan. 26 at 7:00 pm EST

Nadine

Record Breaker
The scoring for the last group looks totally messed up, so right now I don't have a clue as to where they will put C&R??? It depends on if the USFSA likes them or not. Because obviously there are still hard feelings about the breakup of Don Couglin with his old partner, and the new pairing of a very ambitious Katy Denney. Jmho.

C/R started strong but petered out. Maybe they'll come back in the FP after she's had a chance to breathe. She had a fall or near-fall on the throw flip, but the lift was excellent esp. considering how tall she is. They're disappointed but maybe being underdogs in the FP will inspire them.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The scoring for the last group looks totally messed up, so right now I don't have a clue as to where they will put C&R??? It depends on if the USFSA likes them or not. Because obviously there are still hard feelings about the breakup of Don Couglin with his old partner, and the new pairing of a very ambitious Katy Denney. Jmho.

I do have to say it was my very strong understanding that Jeremy Barrett just wanted to retire. It's not like Denney dumped him for John so I don't know why you are saying she's ambitious like it's a bad thing. Like most athletes she wants to win. It's not like she made John leave Caitlin- for whatever reason he wanted to.

Either way I think USFSA doesn't care much actually. But maybe that's just me.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Okay, just checked the scores, not too bad. Marley & Brubaker for the win obviously. But 2-4 can be anybody, it's anybody's game! :cool:

I'm just wanting D&S to finish Top 6, top 5 at best, as I said all along. In fact I'm going on a search of the archives to see what I said this past summer and earlier this season. IIRC I said I want them to advance from 8th last year to hopefully top 6 (or if they're very lucky top 5) this year. :)

cornell08

Final Flight
I think I generally agree with the scoring, except that C/S would have scored lower in my book, D/S higher, and C/R would have placed before Poapst/Knierim! I mean really

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: tulosai, how that's old saying go ~ all's fair in love and war. ;)

Exact Quote: "the rules of fair play do not apply in love and war".

gold12345

Medalist
i'm confused comparing PCS between M/B and E/L. but then again, it's PCS at nationals.

They got nailed for falling (as did Denney/Coughlin). US judges always nail skaters on PCS when they fall. Still, they are only 4 points out of first. The short program is M/B's stronger segment, so I would say E/L are in good shape if they can just skate a good long program. This SP style really suits Marley/Brubaker, but I don't think she has the maturity to pull off the style of their LP nearly as well as their SP. I'm hoping E/L can win, just need to get through those jumps!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Okay, just checked the scores, not too bad. Marley & Brubaker for the win obviously. But 2-4 can be anybody, it's anybody's game!

I'm just wanting D&S to finish Top 6, top 5 at best, as I said all along. In fact I'm going on a search of the archives to see what I said this past summer and earlier this season. IIRC I said I want them to advance from 8th last year to hopefully top 6 (or if they're very lucky top 5) this year.

Okay, the only thing I could find was this post from me dated 11-23-11, but I swear I made a comment way earlier this past summer wherein I wanted them to finish Top 6, especially seeing how hard they had it at the beginning of the summer, but then as they got better my wishes/hopes/desires for an even higher placement got greedy. LOL! :laugh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COPIED & PASTED FROM 11-23-11. :)

Though IN still doesn't have video up of Donlan & Speroff, I found their Eastern Sectionals SP & LP on youtube ~ ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B-0A-8R6cI (SP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNs4_68wuA (LP)

I honestly almost cried after watching their SP, it's that good, I can't recall being this emotionally involved with a pairs' program since G&G.

Yes, I've had other faves over the years, but they moved me in a different way. For instance, Sarah Abitbol & Stephane Bernadis of France, their programs were more spirited, fighting, exciting, et al, whereas Donlan & Speroff's style is more like G&G, yet they're not clones, rather they are their own distinctive selves, if that makes sense. :)

Anyhow, I cannot get over their musicality, the way they move to the music, they make everything look so easy. And their starlift is the best I've seen since G&G, as well as their HUGE split triple twist, and throw triples. Their stretch, turnout (especially his), beautiful low death spiral, et al, are simply exquisite. :love:

And the sbs double jumps they do are excellent, but Gretchen still needs to master the 2A in competition, as I noted she singled it in the LP, whereas Andrew's is big & huge with just a minor stepout. Also, their sbs 3Ts are MIA. These sbs jumps are really their nemesis, moreso for Gretchen then Andrew. If they can just nail this aspect I'm sure they would finish in the Top 5, if not Top 3. *crossing fingers*

Also, before I forget, I wanted to mention their speed, which I found has improved leaps & bounds, much much faster than before. Jmho.

Finally, I can't believe at one point (briefly mind you) I wanted Gretchen to pair with Rockne Brubaker. *smacks self on head* Now I see how odd that would look. Andrew is perfect for Gretchen ~ same elegant classic style, perfect height difference, everything just exquisite, and to top it off he looks like Brad Pitt and she like Ekaterina Goordeeva. :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay, the only thing I could find was this post from me dated 11-23-11, but I swear I made a comment way earlier this past summer wherein I wanted them to finish Top 6, especially seeing how hard they had it at the beginning of the summer, but then as they got better my wishes/hopes/desires for an even higher placement got greedy. LOL! :laugh

Though IN still doesn't have video up of Donlan & Speroff, I found their Eastern Sectionals SP & LP on youtube ~ ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B-0A-8R6cI (SP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNs4_68wuA (LP)

I honestly almost cried after watching their SP, it's that good, I can't recall being this emotionally involved with a pairs' program since G&G.

Yes, I've had other faves over the years, but they moved me in a different way. For instance, Sarah Abitbol & Stephane Bernadis of France, their programs were more spirited, fighting, exciting, et al, whereas Donlan & Speroff's style is more like G&G, yet they're not clones, rather they are their own distinctive selves, if that makes sense. :)

Anyhow, I cannot get over their musicality, the way they move to the music, they make everything look so easy. And their starlift is the best I've seen since G&G, as well as their HUGE split triple twist, and throw triples. Their stretch, turnout (especially his), beautiful low death spiral, et al, are simply exquisite. :love:

And the sbs double jumps they do are excellent, but Gretchen still needs to master the 2A in competition, as I noted she singled it in the LP, whereas Andrew's is big & huge with just a minor stepout. Also, their sbs 3Ts are MIA. These sbs jumps are really their nemesis, moreso for Gretchen then Andrew. If they can just nail this aspect I'm sure they would finish in the Top 5, if not Top 3. *crossing fingers*

Also, before I forget, I wanted to mention their speed, which I found has improved leaps & bounds, much much faster than before. Jmho.

Finally, I can't believe at one point (briefly mind you) I wanted Gretchen to pair with Rockne Brubaker. *smacks self on head* Now I see how odd that would look. Andrew is perfect for Gretchen ~ same elegant classic style, perfect height difference, everything just exquisite, and to top it off he looks like Brad Pitt and she like Ekaterina Goordeeva. :)

Thanks for these. They were a nice way to kill time instead of worrying about the women :)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Okay, the only thing I could find was this post from me dated 11-23-11, but I swear I made a comment way earlier this past summer wherein I wanted them to finish Top 6, especially seeing how hard they had it at the beginning of the summer, but then as they got better my wishes/hopes/desires for an even higher placement got greedy. LOL! :laugh:
<snip>
Well, not sure about summer, but both you and I were on the Feb 2011 thread having to do with Denney/Barrett pulling out of 4CC. Discussion went on to other pairs and we were both waxing hopeful about D/S and M/B. Looks like our wishes may be coming true.
:yay: