Daisuke Takahashi | Page 196 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks synth and mikeko for all the Daigorgeous updates! I was wondering about that eyeliner on Dai as I believe he has
never worn it before now I know the reason behind it. lol:)

Mikeko thanks for your report, so glad you got to see Phoenix live!

Oh my a new Dai show added, can't wait for details.:love:

mikeko666

Final Flight
From the rehearsal of Carnival on Ice
https://youtu.be/eF9M6aopzIE

0:57 - Charlie offering Dai a special ice dance lesson with Meryl
1:35 - Grinning Shoma :biggrin:
2:13 - Dai @ 30 min before his performance, "I wanna go home / I can't do it / I should've chosen last season's SP"

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Western Sectionals will be aired on cable channel Fuji TV Two from 13:30 on Sunday, November 3.
https://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/20195619.html

Splendid news! Thanks mikeko!

Hyoen 2019: Like the Moonlight will be shown in movie theaters all over Japan from December 29 to 31.
There will be a preview on November 6 with Dai's talk show.
https://natalie.mu/stage/news/351765

I wish they would show a subtitled version in overseas arthouse cinemas. The big screen is such a perfect vehicle for Hyoen with its cinematic scope, gorgeous sceneries and lavish costumes. Seeing Dai's tears of relief during bows on such a large scale would probably do me in though. :cry:

Flapperbear uploaded two bilingual news clips about Dai's switch to ice dance. :thank:

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8JV27ZeCsqY
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8JV27ZeCsqY

ETA

Keep your eyes peeled on the following thread, it's gonna be updated with more bilingual videos in the near future:

https://twitter.com/flapperbear414/status/1185528487949422592

A clip from last year with an interview about Dai's comeback:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EyJci0m6-Bc&feature=youtu.be

He has said roughly similar things in other interviews, but I think this one sums up his motivation behind his comeback well. He said it's not about the placement, but about discovering and showing everything he can do in his current state and with his physical limitations, even if that means ending up in 5th or 6th place.

He said during retirement he lost his drive to the point he didn't feel like talking to people anymore and that's when he realized that skating used to boost his morale and is the only thing he feels he can do with confidence.

Gosh, why is he like that? :hopelessness: He is so brilliantly talented at so many things! I hope any of the people he's close to tried to talk sense into him from time to time.

I listened to the chapter of Adam Rippon's memoir in which he mentioned Daisuke. He shared two amusing episodes about the time they were roommates in Hackensack:

• Because Daisuke didn't speak that much English they would watch animes in Japanese together even though Adam didn't understand a single word (but he didn't mind, because he thought it was surreal and cool he got to hang out with Dai, so much so that he sometimes felt he needed to pinch himself :biggrin:).

• Dai would kindly lend him his bike when he was out of town. One day Adam crashed into a bush and had to explain to Dai-chan why there were a million scratches all over his bike. :laugh:

However, the most "interesting" revelation was a detail about Dai's split from Morozov (or the other way around depending on the source; after all we still don't know the true reasons for their split and who initiated it) that I wasn't aware of. Morozov allegedly told Adam that he got bored with Daisuke and that's why he dropped him and replaced him with Nobu. Wow. :sarcasm: I wonder if this was his hurt pride speaking or if he was serious (I suspect the former) and if, at the time, Dai was aware of the full extent of what his then ex-coach said about him behind his back. It was one contributing factor out of a couple even graver ones to Adam's decision to leave Morozov. He thought if he did something like that to a skater of Daisuke's caliber, he might be next. He says that Morozov is supremely manipulative, always alternating between offering carrots and sticks. It's easy to see what he means considering how Morozov later went back on his offensive words and vowed that Daisuke was the best skater he ever had the pleasure to coach. :rolleye: Goes to show again how classy Dai is by never stooping to the same level. He never uttered a bad word about Nikolai and continued to thank him for his contributions even after the split.

I'll refrain from further comments on Nikolai's character and will just say how happy I am that Dai realized his full potential (especially artistically), became an Olympic medalist, a world champ, a trailblazer and a worldwide beloved skater after he left and that Nagamitsu-sensei was always by his side and such a strong support. Morozov may have played his part in boosting Dai's confidence and given his senior career a kick-start, but he doesn't deserve much credit for his artistic development, contrary to what he used to claim. Cyberswan was a brilliant program, but 2009 - 2012 was when Dai had his most explorative phase and truly blossomed into the versatile and unique skater that earned countless fans' adoration and the respect of so many of his peers and juniors. :yes:

mikeko666

Final Flight
A Marina Zueva interview by a Russia media
http://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/246626

Google translation of Kana / Daisuke part

“I heard that you started working with the new Japanese dance duo.” The 33-year-old world champion and Olympic medalist, single player Daisuke Takahashi will perform in dances. It's true?

“That's right, I agreed to work with Daisuke Takahashi and Kana Muramoto.” This is an interesting project, ambitious. We will start work next year, because now Daisuke has more obligations in single skating. He will perform in the show, take part in the next championship of Japan as a loner, but next year Daisuke and Kana will ride with me, I will prepare them for the Olympics.

- You were very surprised when you heard the name of the new partner of your student?

- In principle, not much. Because there were no other options. When she finished skating with Chris, we thought for a long time with whom she could still ride. We went through all the options and except for single people did not find anything. Either get paired up with a single, or end your career. It was obvious that her new partner would be a strong and famous single.

- Next season he will be already 35. Is this a normal age for dancing on ice?

- Alyona Savchenko when she won the Olympics? She was 34 years old. In 2010, the Vancouver Olympics in pair skating won the Chinese at the age of 37. So age still allows you to perform. At the same time, Gordeeva and Grinkov won the first “gold” when Katya was only 16 years old. Tessa Virtue in Vancouver was 20 years old. In Pyeongchang she was under 30 already, and she won again. So figure skating, like love, all ages are submissive.

Daisuke has a great love for figure skating in sports. He is the most emotional of all Japanese skaters that have ever been. Emotionality is the most important quality in dancing. Emotionality and musicality. Without them, there is nothing to do in dancing, but Daisuke has these qualities.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Just stopping by to say...

Good luck to Daisuke at the upcoming Western!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:
Nail that The Phoenix! :rock::rock::rock:

mikeko666

Final Flight
While I'm disappointed not to be able to see him skate, I'm glad he can rest when he needs to. He was not allowed to rest when necessary before his first retirement.

I hope he will recover quickly and be able to give two performances he wishes to deliver at Nationals.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Nobumamiya's report :)thank:) from Dai's talkshow that took place in conjunction with the pre-screening of Hyoen in Tokyo:

https://twitter.com/nobumamiya/status/1192096293344034820?s=19

He hinted that in addition to competing in ice dance he might stay eligible in singles too!

And he will have another completely new show in January! Unlike XOI and Hyoen where he already took the lead, this new show seems to be dedicated completely to him! :rock:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1678317428972482&id=317966388340933

Dai's new show is called Ice Explosion and is going to feature Shizuka Arakawa, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Davis/White, Weaver/Poje, Pang/Tong, Belbin/Agosto, Elladj Balde and Misha Ge. This is just my speculation, but maybe Ice Explosion is going to replace Christmas on Ice?

https://twitter.com/noroton3/status/1192355081359769606

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^^^^ You could be right abut no XOI because his new show has practically the same cast as his
XOI show but I could be wrong. Thanks for the updates!

mikeko666

Final Flight
I think it's logical to think IE is replacing XOI.
XOI was originally started by Shizuka back in 2006, but was discontinued after 2008. Japan has nationals around Christmas, so late December was never good time to have ice shows because top senior skaters who were much more popular than pro skaters couldn't join.
USM (management of Shizuka, Dai, Kanako and Shoma) brought back XOI in 2014 because many popular skaters were expected to retire after Sochi. Back then, SOI Japan was held in January.
Dai came out of his retirement and could not perform in XOI last year, and it significantly affected the ticket sales. SOI had been moved to April a few years ago, so there are no major ices shows in January.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Fingers crossed his ankle was healed and everything's been going well as planned for Daisuke. :ghug:

Only 1 month to the Nationals. THAT's the place to SHINE for all participating skaters, especially for skaters who compete locally and did well at the Reginals/Sectionals. Here's my very best wish for each of them, esp those who train at the Kansai Uni rink. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Sheryl Murakami uploaded a floor dance version of the Phoenix.

It's interesting to compare it to Dai's dance on the ice and floor. Ice is such a unique surface that can either strict a skater's ability or give him more freedom.

A sneak preview of "Hyoen 2019: Like the Moonlight" photo books, which will go on sale on December 18. There will be two photo books, one is about the show itself "Official Art Book", and the other is exclusively of Dai "Engi 2019". He looks so beautiful in the top photo, just like moonlight itself.

Another article with the pic in better quality
Pic 1
Pic 2

From the Phoenix to Hyoen, his talent knows no boundary.

deedee1

Record Breaker

I hadn't seen some of those pictures. :love: Hoping he's on the mend for Nationals.

While I miss young, adorable (with Mao in particular! :love:) and mischievous ;) Dai-chan back in the days a lot, I do love the current Daisuke with maturity, caring and composed in his 30s. He's aging well. Reminds me of a fine, well-aged red wine like his skating. :yes:

10 days to go till the Nationals! :drama: Believing no news is a good news, "がんばれ大ちゃん!" :party::party: