Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I do change my avatar as the mood strikes -- sometimes more frequently, sometimes less frequently. (Lately the mood has been striking more frequently.)

It was CaroLiza_fan :bow: a long while ago who explained in a thread somewhere as to how to see the number of posts in a thread per member.

how do you do it??

Celine

On the Ice
As I read some recent post Olympic articles/Worlds previews, it made me think of an adage which often rings true.
"Adversity does not build character. It is revealing of character"

Disappointing competition results are a fact of life, experienced by every athlete. HOW one responds, though, is revealing. As Olympians and US champions, it has almost been taken for granted that Maia and Alex always seem to understand how to express themselves in public, how to represent as national champions, how to take responsibility for mistakes, and how to show respect for their competitors. Clearly, such character traits are not common enough, and should not be taken for granted.

And thus it makes it even clearer to me why the Shibs are such deserving nominees for the Sullivan Award. It is not just for EARNING 2 Olympic medals. Nor simply for having the courage and mental strength to consistently deliver under the immense pressure of World and Olympic competition. This recognition acknowledges worthy aspects of their character, not just as champion athletes but as people.

Sportsmanship. Leadership. Respect.
Proud to be a fan of Maia and Alex Shibutani.

EmilyAnn

Spectator
I just joined this forum because I was trying to figure out the beef between the Shibutanis and C/B and H/D. Looking at all their posts from the Olympics the Shibs do not appear in a single story or picture of C/B on Instagram. There are no words of congratulations for the team medal or Shibs individual one. There is not a single picture going back of the Nationals podium when they’ve all been on together. Meanwhile, other Team USA skaters make many appearances. If anyone looks and sees any different, let me know. I wonder where this comes from.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just joined this forum because I was trying to figure out the beef between the Shibutanis and C/B and H/D. Looking at all their posts from the Olympics the Shibs do not appear in a single story or picture of C/B on Instagram. There are no words of congratulations for the team medal or Shibs individual one. There is not a single picture going back of the Nationals podium when they’ve all been on together. Meanwhile, other Team USA skaters make many appearances. If anyone looks and sees any different, let me know. I wonder where this comes from.

I don't follow any of them on Instagram, but I do recall the look on Madison Chock's face when she realized she had lost her title to the Shibs (2016). It was not pretty.

EmilyAnn

Spectator
I don't follow any of them on Instagram, but I do recall the look on Madison Chock's face when she realized she had lost her title to the Shibs (2016). It was not pretty.

I just watched that yesterday! Her face. She could give Ashley Wagner a run for her money is unforgettable facial expressions from the Kiss and Cry. She had a similar face today when their score came up...

shadowsinwinter

Rinkside
I honestly think this is maybe less of personal grudges and more of the intense rivalry amongst these three teams? For Madi and Evan, they were the top US ice dance team just behind Meryl and Charlie up till the 15-16 season. They were US champs in 14-15 so I guess to just lose the title like that was a huge disappointment. But for Madi and Zach, the Shibs have been the team that they've been chasing after (in terms of results) since they all started competing together, so yeah I guess it's frustrating for them to lose to the Shibutanis every single time they've faced each other off.

Of course, I'm not trying to excuse what Donohue said because frankly, I feel that it's a blatant disregard of basic sportsmanship, but I can also understand that there are reasons behind it since they're all really strong teams fighting for the US #1 spot.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
It's disappointing to read those comments from their own teammates because year after year the Shibs have been nothing but sportsmanlike and gracious even when they were not the top U.S. Ice Dance team and not getting placements they wanted. They've had disappointing results and performances before and they never blamed it on anyone else or felt entitled to a higher placement. They're amazing role models and athletes and deserve all the success they've been getting on and off the ice. I hope they keep on skating in the seasons to come because I would hate for U.S. Ice Dancing to lose them, and I would definitely have a lesser interest in US Ice Dancing as well.

Barb

Record Breaker

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

I actually don't think Madison's face was bad. I think it was completely understandable and just unfortunate timing that the camera showed her for like 5 seconds. She was obviously disappointed and hurt that she and Evan had just lost their National title to the Shibs and they didn't make any errors or anything (unless we count missed levels with the Shibs hitting all of their levels). But her face afterwards seemed normal once Igor went up to her. I don't think she was mean-mugging or anything.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I actually don't think Madison's face was bad. I think it was completely understandable and just unfortunate timing that the camera showed her for like 5 seconds. She was obviously disappointed and hurt that she and Evan had just lost their National title to the Shibs and they didn't make any errors or anything (unless we count missed levels with the Shibs hitting all of their levels). But her face afterwards seemed normal once Igor went up to her. I don't think she was mean-mugging or anything.

Yes, disappointed and hurt, who wouldn't be? But why not congratulate all your team-mates on winning Olympic Bronze. several years later.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yes, disappointed and hurt, who wouldn't be? But why not congratulate all your team-mates on winning Olympic Bronze. several years later.

Well, that's a different story and something I think a lot of Shibs fans have been noticing with regard to the lack of regard the Shibs received for winning the U.S.'s only individual medal at the Olympics in figure skating...which was a continuation of being the only U.S. skaters to win an individual medal at 2017 Worlds and I don't remember many (at Worlds or at home watching) congratulating them either. Maybe they're jerks or the Shibs just aren't that close with their fellow U.S. skaters outside of a few that they're close with. Plus, they haven't had to form friendships out of disappointment with a fellow competitor in the past few seasons because they've been the one being chased and before 2016, they just relied on each other.

WGloria

Rinkside
A repost of one of Madison Chock's instagram photos from the Olympics from the night before the final day of the team event, when Adam, Mirai and Maia and Alex were going to skate, she and Hubbell are wishing Adam and Mirai well. "She specifies "love you two" The subtext of the post didn't escape people. The Skating Lesson reposted and fan comments say it: for example, "Madison Hubbell and Madison Chock are out for blood."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfE89j8FqJD/?taken-by=theskatinglesson

Zach Donohue posted a picture with the caption that he was so proud of this team. Noticed that he chose a team photo that didn't include Maia and Alex.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfF_SC8HVal/?taken-by=zachtdonohue

And whether it is Madison Hubbell's mother, Susan Hubbell complaining at length on Facebook while Zach's mother cheers her on, about how unfairly she thinks Madison and Zach are treated, or even H/D's apparent besties, the French team - not shaking hands with Maia and Alex during the flower ceremony at the arena at the Olympics.
Well, at the end of the day it's all pretty transparent. And while it's a shame to not see better sportsmanship especially when the entire world is watching, I don't see the Shibs investing their time on these kinds of people or situations when they have many other worlds of people with whom they can share their positivity with.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/shibut...d-to-finally-meet-long-distance-fans/18708476

msmelissa

Rinkside
A repost of one of Madison Chock's instagram photos from the Olympics from the night before the final day of the team event, when Adam, Mirai and Maia and Alex were going to skate, she and Hubbell are wishing Adam and Mirai well. "She specifies "love you two" The subtext of the post didn't escape people. The Skating Lesson reposted and fan comments say it: for example, "Madison Hubbell and Madison Chock are out for blood."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfE89j8FqJD/?taken-by=theskatinglesson

Zach Donohue posted a picture with the caption that he was so proud of this team. Noticed that he chose a team photo that didn't include Maia and Alex.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfF_SC8HVal/?taken-by=zachtdonohue

And whether it is Madison Hubbell's mother, Susan Hubbell complaining at length on Facebook while Zach's mother cheers her on, about how unfairly she thinks Madison and Zach are treated, or even H/D's apparent besties, the French team - not shaking hands with Maia and Alex during the flower ceremony at the arena at the Olympics.
Well, at the end of the day it's all pretty transparent. And while it's a shame to not see better sportsmanship especially when the entire world is watching, I don't see the Shibs investing their time on these kinds of people or situations when they have many other worlds of people with whom they can share their positivity with.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/shibut...d-to-finally-meet-long-distance-fans/18708476

I'm glad that H/D finally got a World medal after Shibs and V/M gave their medals away by withdrawing. Shibs have three World medals and two Olympics to medal polish anyway :biggrin:

humbaba

Final Flight
Sorry to see some of the hateful, mean-spirited comments about Madison Chock on this thread. I’ll resist the urge to call these remarks “catty”, but only because that would be an insult to cats.

Those who find Madison’s facial expression objectionable, perhaps should take a look at the backstage footage when the Shibs lost their national title to Hubbell/Donahue back in January. Review the medal ceremony while you’re at it. Maia and Alex both had moments when their facial expressions “weren’t pretty”. And their demeanor was criticized by some who either objected to, or reveled in, their disappointment.

I don’t see any reason to criticize in either case. Madison, Maia and Alex were each understandably disappointed to lose the national title. What’s wrong with a person looking sad, upset, or disappointed, when that is how they feel? Would you prefer someone sufficiently phony or duplicitous that they can put on a convincing front?

I want to point out that Madison and Evan were in the team box to cheer on the American skaters, including the Shibutanis, during the long programs of the team event. I thought this was an exceptional show of sportsmanship given the circumstances. I recall Madi and Evan standing by the gate with an American flag to greet the Shibutanis when they came off the ice. Maia and Alex walked past without acknowledging them. I don’t think the Shibs intentionally snubbed the teammates who were trying to show support. I think they were simply focused on talking with coaches and getting to the K&C to get their scores. Still, it illustrates how benign incidents could be misinterpreted and distorted should one be so inclined.

Why judge and project the worst intent onto skaters when we get these brief glimpses of them in difficult situations? Better to see them with empathy and compassion and give everyone the benefit of a doubt. Isn’t that what you would want for yourself if places were reversed?

Celine

On the Ice
Maia and Alex attending another movie premiere in LA. Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One

http://www.gotceleb.com/maia-shibutani-ready-player-one-premiere-in-los-angeles-2018-03-27.html
http://celebmafia.com/maia-shibutani-ready-player-one-premiere-in-los-angeles-1330445/

Now, more than a month after the Olympic Closing Ceremony, still thriving with invites and opportunities involving the very best, beyond the rink. I wonder if the Stars On Ice tour will feel like a letdown. Hope ticket sales are stronger for this year's tour than the usually depressing non-Olympic year houses.

Barb

Record Breaker
Maia and Alex attending another movie premiere in LA. Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One

http://www.gotceleb.com/maia-shibutani-ready-player-one-premiere-in-los-angeles-2018-03-27.html
http://celebmafia.com/maia-shibutani-ready-player-one-premiere-in-los-angeles-1330445/

Now, more than a month after the Olympic Closing Ceremony, still thriving with invites and opportunities involving the very best, beyond the rink. I wonder if the Stars On Ice tour will feel like a letdown. Hope ticket sales are stronger for this year's tour than the usually depressing non-Olympic year houses.

:laugh:. I think they will feel great about coming back to a familiar environment. And I read someone having trouble getting tickets for SOI, so I guess sales are going well. I wonder how much Maia and Alex have practiced on the ice with so many trips.