Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 105 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

oly2018

Final Flight
Except that Laurie Hernandez is actually training for a comeback. https://www.businessinsider.com/laurie-hernandez-2020-tokyo-olympics-mantra-2019-6

I don't know how closely you follow gymnastics, but the community is fairly split on how much she is actually training. She isn't training at full capacity because of her endorsement obligations and her being invited to camp without making the national team has been questioned. Even Simone needed a full year of training and conditioning to come back fully and she's the GOAT.

Besides that point, the Shibs haven't really dedicated a ton of time to skating in the last year. They haven't done a ton of shows and when I did see them at SOI, they were noticeably slower than they used to be and still doing all of the same lifts, but I did like the direction of their new show program. I love them, but they seem to be distancing themselves from the skating community in general, so it would be really surprising if they did come back.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know how closely you follow gymnastics, but the community is fairly split on how much she is actually training. She isn't training at full capacity because of her endorsement obligations and her being invited to camp without making the national team has been questioned. Even Simone needed a full year of training and conditioning to come back fully and she's the GOAT.

Besides that point, the Shibs haven't really dedicated a ton of time to skating in the last year. They haven't done a ton of shows and when I did see them at SOI, they were noticeably slower than they used to be and still doing all of the same lifts, but I did like the direction of their new show program. I love them, but they seem to be distancing themselves from the skating community in general, so it would be really surprising if they did come back.

I actually watch a LOT of gymnastics, maybe more than figure skating, if you include NCAAs, which can be hours every weekend, and I’ve been to 3 women’s NCAA championships, one men’s NCAA championship, men’s Olympic Trials last Olympiad, and am going to men’s and women’s Olympic Trials next summer. But I don’t follow any boards or gossip at all. So what she’s really doing I have no idea, but she does appear to be training.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Maia and Alex spoke at the American Libraries Association meeting on Sunday. They will be launching a young adult fiction book this spring.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a copy of the NBC version of Maia and Alex's Ex at 2015 Nationals? They skated to O (Fly on) and Johnny said, "This is how skating should look, as easy as walking or breathing" or something like that. I really like the camera angles and the commentary. I cannot find it anymore, and I am afraid it was probably a casualty of the mass-deletion of YouTube Channels recently. I see a couple fancams, but there's nothing like broadcast TV to see things in detail at different angles. Help is appreciated, but I know it's a shot in the dark.

I hope Maia's recovery is continuing to go well!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have a copy of that performance by Maia and Alex. But I don't know how to send it to you..
Do you have a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc? Any of those services should have an option to copy and paste a "shareable link" and I could click on the link and then download it myself. It may be safe on Vimeo or DailyMotion. Even putting it on YouTube might work, as I don't know exactly why the one I watched in the past got pulled. Maybe YouTube won't notice if it's just the one video. There's some ideas, but I don't know as much as some people. Thank you for responding. I hope my rambling response might be a little useful.

slider11

Medalist
One thing about Alex and Maia....they are not one-dimensional. There are so many areas they are exploring and excelling in. With Maia's recovery, I think they will continue on a forward trajectory, together and individually. I loved that they won a bronze in 2018. I think they know it's time to move on.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Do you have a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc? Any of those services should have an option to copy and paste a "shareable link" and I could click on the link and then download it myself. It may be safe on Vimeo or DailyMotion. Even putting it on YouTube might work, as I don't know exactly why the one I watched in the past got pulled. Maybe YouTube won't notice if it's just the one video. There's some ideas, but I don't know as much as some people. Thank you for responding. I hope my rambling response might be a little useful.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding to you, I got busy reading about all the real life health issues. Yes I have Dropbox. Give me a day or so to get my copy of that performance from my DVD and transfer it to a Dropbox folder. I'll send you a PM Friday or Saturday March 14th.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding to you, I got busy reading about all the real life health issues. Yes I have Dropbox. Give me a day or so to get my copy of that performance from my DVD and transfer it to a Dropbox folder. I'll send you a PM Friday or Saturday March 14th.

Would you be willing to send me a link as well? I'd love that performance as well!

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Would you be willing to send me a link as well? I'd love that performance as well!

Certainly Mrs P.
I had to transfer a copy to my google drive because dropbox would've taken too long to upload there. (I have a slow computer.) I'll send you and skatingfan4ever PMs later today or tomorrow,

zqames

Spectator
Hiiiii new member here 😊 Does anyone happen to have downloaded the 2018 Olympics Vlog? The video has been taken down on copyright grounds and I couldn’t find it anywhere 😥

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing this team (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)