Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Both Maia and Alex are stunning in their SD costumes. From the moment they stepped on the ice I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. They also carry themselves with a new confidence out there.

I enjoyed their hip hop step sequences, which seemed to be movements that fit their personality instead of forcing them into the "hardness" others associate with hip hop. I said this in the practice report thread, but I'm not totally sure how I feel about their music. I hope it will grow on me, but in the arena, it sounded a little like two songs being played over each other and it was overwhelming. But we'll see how I feel about it Saturday! And as long as the judges are okay with it, it's good enough for me.

Tallorder

On the Ice
When the ISU set out asking for Blues to combine with Hip Hop or swing, it brought to mind those reality cooking contests when the contestants open their food ingredient boxes, and are told to make a meal from some "unusual bed partner" ingredients. (Pun intended on "make a meal")

What a pleasure to see an actual cohesive program! Absolute kudos to the Shibs for pulling this off. The music is blended in a unique way to creative a singular program. Another poster relayed how Frank Sinatra is actually tied to hip hop and Jay Z in particular. Really clever planning.

Their costumes are stunning and effective for the entirety of the program. We're seeing a lot of costumes that are like, "works for the swing but not for the blues" and vice/versa/otherwise. Alex's sleek suit is vintage "rat pack" and moves terrifically in the hip hop dance sections. Maia does indeed look "smokin' hot." Really fit and perfectly costumed.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They were stunning today, and I love "That's Life". Their unison is just SO spot on. Here's hoping they have a really great year!

msmelissa

Rinkside
When I first heard their music, I didn't know what to make of it. The more I've seen their program and heard the music, the more it grows on me. I'm impressed. I hope the judges respond well to the program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just thought of something. Remember when Chock and Bates did Dark Eyes for their SD at Nebelhorn and then they went with something conventional because of feedback?

The SD they ultimately went with was OK, but what could have Dark Eyes been if they stuck to it and just made changes to music cuts/choreo instead of dumping it all together?

I think the Shibs did not want to debut this dance without the ability to sell it fully. I have a feeling if we saw this at a senior B -- perhaps the music would have been even more jarring because they didn't have the polish/commitment to back it up. Just a thought...

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I just thought of something. Remember when Chock and Bates did Dark Eyes for their SD at Nebelhorn and then they went with something conventional because of feedback?

The SD they ultimately went with was OK, but what could have Dark Eyes been if they stuck to it and just made changes to music cuts/choreo instead of dumping it all together?

I think the Shibs did not want to debut this dance without the ability to sell it fully. I have a feeling if we saw this at a senior B -- perhaps the music would have been even more jarring because they didn't have the polish/commitment to back it up. Just a thought...

I honestly think if the choreography during the part where they just skated through is any good, then the music cuts would make a lot more sense and people wouldn't be so turned off by it. I also think after a few competitions, people would get used to it.

I think if they continue to improve and sell it even better throughout the season and really hit the notes, it may be used as THE example of how to do a proper hip hop ice dance routine by Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I honestly think if the choreography during the part where they just skated through is any good, then the music cuts would make a lot more sense and people wouldn't be so turned off by it. I also think after a few competitions, people would get used to it.

Yes. Especially if it involves their awesome twizzles.. I'm curious to see what they came up with for this music.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
TSL snippet of their practice and interview afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDcK9aEbbaE

This is the first time the Shibs were interviewed by TSL, well other than the time Jenny and Dave spoke to them at Figure Skating in Harlem shortly after Worlds, but they said the audio wasn't working for them so they couldn't post it.

Tallorder

On the Ice

Thanks for posting. The sharper ice level camera work reveals the crispness of their movements, attention to detail, synchronicity and creamy smooth edges. Alex looks fantastic in that suit and he explains how it works with the program. Maia looks to be in dynamite shape and definitely wears confidence well.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Throw Back Thursday -- photos I took of Alex and Maia after they won the silver at Skate America 2014. They later changed their costumes to something more simple. I was always sorry they did that. I thought Alex looked awesome in his "morning coat:" style costume, and Maia's costume was stunning (as always). Good luck!

https://pic.twitter.com/qSoGroJlt2

https://pic.twitter.com/Jool140l5W

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Yes. Especially if it involves their awesome twizzles.. I'm curious to see what they came up with for this music.

They did their twizzle sequence a few times in practice (incredible live - that speed and unison!). There was one move in between sets of twizzles where it looked like they were brushing their shoulders, and I think I recall hearing Jay-Z's "dirt off your shoulders" lyric in their music.

But I could be way off, so if it's inaccurate once we've actually seen their full SD, pretend this post never happened. ;)

LOL at Alex's sarcastic response to Dave's question about wanting to come out strong this year. "As opposed to other years?"

humbaba

Final Flight

Judges questioned the appropriateness of Dark Eyes for the secondary rhythm, and according to some, also for the Ravensburger waltz. Chock and Bates really had no choice but to change the music. Changes to music cuts and choreography wouldn't have solved the problem.

Not getting early feedback from judges on SD music is one of the risks of waiting until GP to unveil programs. Don't think the Shibs will have problems at SkateAmerica. Not so sure about later comps.

Then again, judges have waited until Worlds to drop a music deduction on a team. I guess the skaters might as well skate to what they like and not worry about fickle judges.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Judges questioned the appropriateness of Dark Eyes for the secondary rhythm, and according to some, also for the Ravensburger waltz. Chock and Bates really had no choice but to change the music. Changes to music cuts and choreography wouldn't have solved the problem.

Not getting early feedback from judges on SD music is one of the risks of waiting until GP to unveil programs. Don't think the Shibs will have problems at SkateAmerica. Not so sure about later comps.

Then again, judges have waited until Worlds to drop a music deduction on a team. I guess the skaters might as well skate to what they like and not worry about fickle judges.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Because I feel like lots of other teams skated to non-waltz waltzes and were not hit with anything really.