Jason Brown blogged JGP Bosphorus | Golden Skate

Jason Brown blogged JGP Bosphorus

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Oh guys, everything was just perfect!! I had the best time of my life volunteering in this event. And Jason was probably the most friendly person I've met there. He has the charism that get love of everybody watching him during his skate. Team USA were full of friendly people, and I loved them so much. Their team leader gave me a pin as a memory and told me they appreciate the work I did! I was going to fly! At the end of the event, I was so sad to say goodbye to people. I wanna go to Slovenia now to share that atmosphere again...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How exciting for you, Totentanz! :) Would you like to share a few more anecdotes/personal highlights about your volunteering experience? What were some of your volunteer duties?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I was the gate keeper there. Standing beside the ice for hours was really difficult. I think only a true skating-fan can do it=) But I also did some other little jobs like I asked the skaters which program they would skate at the practices. The most important thing for me that I had the chance to help the skaters, and I met lots of nice people, like John Kerr=)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That sounds wonderful!
What were your favorite performances?

And I'm so happy that the Americans were nice to volunteers!

There is an American saying: "If a man is not nice to the waiter, he is not a nice man." It sounds like they were all nice people!

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
My favorite performance was LP of Leah Keiser. She really won the competition for me with that LP. Nobody came close to her. Jason was in his own leage in both SP and LP, too. Ice Dancing was an amazing event! I regret the years I lost when I didn't watch ice dancing. Very nice programs from Americans, Stepanova/Bukin and also Turkish couple made the crowd proud. Pavel Ignatenko and Gerli Liinamae really took my interest as it was the first time I watched these two. And Norwegian girl had a very good posture that I still remember=)

Nina Jiang was really bad. US federation wasted the spot by sending her. She is a nice skater but there are girls who are much better. My always-favorite Russians, whom I found very cold when I see closer and talk, couldn't get what they want from this competition. And with my Team USA pin, I support skaters from US more now. Whatever they do, at least they were more friendly. (I don't mean all the Russians are cold of course, but the ones came to Istanbul were and they left a bad impression for me)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Really, the whole Turkish team did very, very for a relatively young skating program. Demirsal & Akalin finished in the top 10 and earned enough TES in both SD & FD to qualify for Jr. Worlds! Osman Akguen also qualified!

Sila Saygi came very, very close, too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason Brown blogged JGP Bosphorus for Skating Magazine

http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/09/25/jason-brown-reflects-on-experience-at-2012-jgp-turkey/

Apparently the rink is gorgeous in Istanbul.

Oh guys, everything was just perfect!! I had the best time of my life volunteering in this event. And Jason was probably the most friendly person I've met there. He has the charism that get love of everybody watching him during his skate. Team USA were full of friendly people, and I loved them so much. Their team leader gave me a pin as a memory and told me they appreciate the work I did! I was going to fly! At the end of the event, I was so sad to say goodbye to people. I wanna go to Slovenia now to share that atmosphere again...

Thanks to Totentanz for sharing your experiences and your eyewitness reports of the skaters and skating. :thumbsup:

And great that USFSA asked Jason Brown to blog again. Thanks to Doris for the link. :)
His enthusiasm for all aspects of the competition and the trip is infectious. :yes:

ETA:
Brown's mention of team doctor Mahlon Bradley was a bonus. Nice that Dr. Bradley still is involved in the sport after his own years of skating.​

Last edited: