purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai will be competing at the Aurora Games next month in Albany along with Ashley Wagner and Alysa Liu! I'll be there so excited to see her skate.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai will be competing at the Aurora Games next month in Albany along with Ashley Wagner and Alysa Liu! I'll be there so excited to see her skate.

From what I’ve read of the gymnasts competing in addition to the skaters I so want to see this. Do you know if it will be televised?

jd0505

Rinkside
I really, really hope she continues to compete or perform with those two programs she did at the Aurora Games. They were soooo good!!

icellist

On the Ice
Watched the Japan open FS and compared it to the Aurora game outing. The jumps and spins were better but the the opening jump was <+<<. The loop should've been the 3 jump combo and the second flip was actually a little.

She did a lot more crossovers in Japan and the step sequence + choreo sequence was better in Albany. I wish she kept the change of edge spiral because she's one of the few that can do it with the least amount of bobble in a sea of bad spirals of the new generation. The mistake on the salchow was understandable with the lack of speed coming out of the spiral sequence. The Charlotte spiral ending in Albany made me wish she could reuse her Saint-Saen FS again. I feel like she has the maturity now to do it well. But this artsy music pairs well with her to give me chills anyway.

I think Mirai loves skating and competing, she might disappear for a few years but no doubt she'll probably comeback like Ito does at the adult competition and make her fans proud

b-man

Final Flight
Mirai did the Ice Desk at Nationals, which is pre and post event commentary and analysis, 2-3 shows a day. She was on with Michael Weiss, Brooke Castile, and Ben Agosto, with appearances by Mariah Bell and Alysa Liu. She did a good job and had fun with it.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Does anyone have a link to Mirai's programs, in particular her SP, from the 2017 US Intl FS Classic? (The links in the OP no longer work.)

I believe it was the first event at which she landed her 3A, albeit with negative GOE.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Somewhere there must be a treasure trove of wonderful old videos.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The first U.S, Nationals that my wife and I attended in person was in Spokane in January 2007 and we fell in love with all the ladies, especially Mirai appearing at her first Nats as a junior. The venue was great with the practice rink at the Convention Center being walking distance from the main rink. We spent most of our time running from rink to rink to watch the practices of all the ladies novices, juniors, and seniors. We were seated next to someone at one of the practices who was waxing enthusiastic about how wonderful a place Oberstdorf, Gemany, was and what a great place it was to go to watch skating.

When Mirai won juniors and was selected with Caroling Zhang and Ashley Wagner to go to Junior Worlds in Oberstdorf, my wife and I debated during most of our 2 day drive back home from Spokane whether we ought to try to go to Junior Worlds. I stayed up all night the day we got home searching on the internet for information about places to stay and how to get tickets. After talking to my wife the next day we decided to go because we were not sure whether we would ever get to see Mirai skate again. Little did we know at that time that Mirai was going to have such a long and succesful career.

So a couple of weeks later we were in Oberstdorf watching something like 56 ladies from about 42 different countries and feeling like we were in a heavenly place. We had a holiday apartment that was just across the creek from the rink and took us under 5 minutes to walk to the rink because we had to walk about 50 yards out of our way to get to the bridge.

Since Mirai had no international ranking she ended up near the start of the 6 or 7 hour long run of the short programs. If you watch a video of Mirai's short you will see that there were very few spectators for the early flights. We were a couple of the few that were there and had a great day watching all the lovely girls from so many different countries. If anyone ever has a chance to go to the Nebelhorn I would recommend it highly.

My friend the Coyote recommended that I post one of my early skating photos of Mirai here so below you will see the three medalists of the 2007 Junior Worlds (when they were all much younger): Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, and Ashley Wagner.

2007JrLadiesWinners.jpg

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Bumping this thread back up with some Mirai news... Mirai is going to be on this year's Celebrity Big Brother. Here's their announcement of the houseguest on instagram and Mirai's instagram post. Good luck Mirai! :cheer:

Also Mirai will be in the US Stars on Ice Tour this Spring, I think it's pretty great that she's the only non-current Olympian in the cast. She's worked hard to get her jumps back after surgery. Way to go Mirai!