Mirai Nagasu | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I have watched Demons ex live, it is a pivotal moment of my fandom of Mirai. In that performance, she totally connected to the music. her loose hair and that somehow ugly costume is perfect for what the music wanna convey, sorta like a "Muggle"
for competition probably may change into a dress, but I hope they keep the original idea. the "Muggle" spirit.:cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Warwick360

Medalist
I don't like Mirai's LP. The music seems so choppy, which I could have guessed considering her music selection. It's like she loves the music so much but doesn't know what to do with it, either her or her choreographer. I would have much preferred her to go more upbeat, even if from Gatsby. Methinks Fergie's "Little party hurt nobody" would have been a good sequence if not for the whole length of the program.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not crazy about the music cut either - especially the "Young and Beautiful" part - not a fan of Lana Del Ray or that song.

I also didn't like Ashley's "Moulin Rouge" when I first heard it but now I think it's a genius cut of the soundtrack so maybe it will grow on me over the season.

The important thing is Mirai seems to connect to this music (say more than Madam Butterfly or James Bond medley) so as long as she keeps skating well, I'll put up with the music.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I also was not a fan of Ashley's music cuts at first, but compared to these ones they make a lot more sense. The most important thing to me is that Mirai looks faster and crisper-and I think this is definitely closer to the type of music that she likes, which helps. But yeah, too many music cuts that don't flow together. Do we know who choreographed it yet?

The thing is, I think that it could be fixed relatively easily with different music cuts. While I liked some of the choreography (though there were definitely empty spots), it's not like the choreography neccesarily needs to go with the cuts of music that they used, so they should be able to switch out for other cuts without it messing things up. And I actually like some of the songs, I do like Young and Beautiful, but they use my least favorite parts of the song. Oh well...I guess program feedback is what Champs Camp is for? If some of the reaction to the music cuts gets back to Mirai, I hope that she doesn't let it discourage her overall improvements in her skating too much. Honestly, even if she had a choreographic masterpiece, I'm not convinced that the judges would be rewarding her with high PCs, so I think the improvements in her skating (while underrotations are still there, it's not like they're going to go away overnight. I'm not expected no carrots, but a clean SP with maybe 1 or 2 underrotations in the LP would be an improvement over last year) are the bigger priority right now.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not expected no carrots, but a clean SP with maybe 1 or 2 underrotations in the LP would be an improvement over last year) are the bigger priority right now.

I checked the protocols and she did get dinged on 3 jumps in her FS (both combo toe loops were UR as well as her lutz). So she still needs to work on that. She was not dinged in the SP, so I hope that's a good sign.

I think it's great she's going for the 3A in her short, but she and Tom Z. should prioritize her UR issue. Otherwise, I think she has shown much improvement in speed and connecting to her music, and her spins are fantastic as always.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I checked the protocols and she did get dinged on 3 jumps in her FS (both combo toe loops were UR as well as her lutz). So she still needs to work on that. She was not dinged in the SP, so I hope that's a good sign.

I think it's great she's going for the 3A in her short, but she and Tom Z. should prioritize her UR issue. Otherwise, I think she has shown much improvement in speed and connecting to her music, and her spins are fantastic as always.

I agree completely (I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I didn't mean to imply that she only got two underrotations in this particular LP, I had seen the protocols, I just meant that she needs to reduce those numbers of undderotations even if that means she still is getting a few. Though 3 undderrotations in still a bit better than her COR LP last year where she got like 3 underrotations and 1 dowgrade). While I applaud the gutsiness of going for the triple axel, and think continuing to work on it might be motivating for Mirai, I was relieved to see her double axel in the LP. I am also looking forward to seeing how her Demons exhibition has translated into an SP program, and I'm surprised there have been no videos of it yet.

samm22

On the Ice
I really wish she could have gotten two assignments on the grand prix! She's shown so much improvement!

Edit: The skating lesson added a really promising video onto youtube of mirai and tom z working on her triple axel. she get's really close! also, he seems to be able to motivate her when she isn't feeling great which is good. the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDro6HFsbIg Bonus, it also contains Mirai training the last half of her program at the end of the video.

Last edited:

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I wish Mirai had gotten two assignments as well, but I understand why Karen got the SA spot. I guess USFSA was waiting to see if Karen would get one of the sub spots since she was high on the list, and when she didn't get the TEB replacement spot, bit the bullet with Karen's host spot. I wonder how clear they are with the skaters about what role summer competitions play, I think that I read an article where Mirai mentioned that she and the other girls who only got one assignment were "fighting" for the SA spot..at least Mirai won $10,000 from her summer comps. What I am perplexed about is why Angela Wang got a spot at the Salt Lake senior B over Mirai. I hope Mirai gets another one.

slider11

Medalist
I really expected to see Mirai at Salt Lake. I'm confused as to why the usfsa would not give her the chance to get more competition time. Maybe Mirai will sign on to some of the European B events. She needs consistency and the experience to put together full performances.

samm22

On the Ice

change of edge

Rinkside
Mirai is going to be competing at the Nebelhorn Trophy this year, which incidentally is the only senior international competition where she won a gold medal (in 2011)!