Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, as if their athletic and artistic abilities do not already take our breath away, Virtue and Moir are exceptional eye candy too (separately as well as together).

ETA:
I forgot to say that V/M are on the CBC ballot for Canada's Athlete of the Year.
Patrick Chan is too, as well as four athletes from other sports.
"Our poll closes on Friday at 5 p.m. ET" -- not sure, but I think that means Fri Dec 7.
" ... we'll reveal The People's Pick next Saturday during our ISU Figure Skating coverage of the Grand Prix Final from the Iceberg Rink in the Olympic city of Sochi, Russia." http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/scottrussell/2012/11/field-of-play-the-peoples-pick.html

ETA:
Virtue and Moir looking forward to London and Sochi
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are looking forward to skating near home in London, Ontario.

Dec 1, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2311870957
5:31 interview video

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per a tweet from Lois Elfman, she has completed an article for which she interviewed Weaver/Poje (among others). It now is in the hands of an editor at Dance International magazine.
[ETA: I see now that the the W/P article is for the Spring 2013 issue, per a subsequent tweet from @LoisElfman.]​

Although the W/P article still is forthcoming, when I was on the DI site, I stumbled across its Summer 2010 article re Virtue/Moir, which was new to me. In case anyone else missed it at the time, or would like to re-read it now:
The cover page photo is of V/M, and the article is on pp. 6-9. Not surprisingly, the focus was on the importance of dance to their skating.

Last edited:
I had come across that magazine in a bookstore! It has some lovely photos, especially of Tessa en pointe. Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to rereading it. I'm so glad that dance is important to the two of them.

emdee

Final Flight
CBC aired CSOI last night and I really enjoyed the show. Especially the closeups. Although we had excellent on ice tickets in April you cannot see the expression on their faces unless they are really close to you.

To me they are certainly the royalty of ice dance and even figure skating in general.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice dancers are generally good looking and I think V&M are not only one of the current world's best ice dancers, but pretty much the best looking couple too.:love:

Although these photos prob. were taken at Skate Canada International, I hadn't seen them then:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1189115943264_1773893943_n.jpg&size=2048,1507
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1189115888264_1954791820_n.jpg&size=2048,1711

I always coveted a pair of the Vancouver 2010 mittens, and the 2012 counterparts are eye-catching too. [As are the golden couple from Vancouver serving as models. ;)]

ETA:
Chan, Balde, Duhamel/Radford, Osmond also are among the mitten mavens shown here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151189115283264.466036.84154833263&type=1

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Wishing Tessa and Scott best of luck in their FD. Hopefully they can make up for the (totally absurd and unfair) 1.93 points they lost in the SD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One of those points was due to Scott having a visible problem with the twizzles, which dropped them to level 3, and because it was visible real time, probably hurt their GOE too for that element.

heyhey

On the Ice
Just perused the GPF FD board - interesting cheap shots at V/M - Tessa's weight, Scott not being to able to left Tessa etc. Okay - so I decided to post here instead of there. They had 2 solid performances at the GPF. Perfect? No. Heading in the right direction - definitely. As long as they are happy with their progress - that makes me a happy camper. Did they want to win? Obviously. Kudos to D/W for the win. After last year's Funny Face - I think fans were anxious with what they were going to skate to this year. Carmen is a challenging program and I am glad that they have taken this route. The last choreographic sequence may need some tweeking in order to get levels but otherwise I wouldn't change anything else. Obviously - not everyone is a fan of this program but hey you can't always satisfy everyone.
I also enjoy D/W but the one thing that concerns me with them is that they received 3 tens for choreography in the GPF FD. My question is does receiving 10's discourage this team from trying new elements/lifts/step sequences?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Tessa & Scott didn't become discouraged by 10.00's so no, I don't think any team is necessarily discouraged by 10.00's, particularly when their competition gets them too. IMO their Carmen is the most interesting program they have ever done, with all new and challenging lifts, and a different style of dance for them, and a different emotional character. Where they are least adventurous in trying new things, I think, are in spins & twizzles, and their not touching sequence in the SD.

I don't think Meryl & Charlie are any different from Tessa & Scott; they aren't ones to sit on their laurels.
Of the 6 lifts Meryl & Charlie are doing this year(1 SD, 4, FD with 1 Choreographic extra), only one is from last year (and it was new last year (the no hands rotational lift). The jump entry into the dance spin is new this year (last year they did a back entry), and the internal movements in the spin are different, too. The not touching circular step in the SD is significantly different from last year's, and they are using a different jump entry into the twizzles, doing the twizzling directly on the landing foot without intermediate steps. Skating to a ballet in their SD, and trying to incorporate balletic style in the dance is a much a change of style/challenge for Meryl & Charlie as a modern dance style for Carmen is to Tessa & Scott. Where they are least adventurous are in the two step sequences in the FD, IMO.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tessa & Scott fans might be interested in this video, described by golden411

And Virtue/Moir briefly discuss their Cirque training in their book too, if I remember correctly.

If anyone has not seen this very interesting interview with V/M's trainer Maria Mountain, I highly recommend it. The video is 5:54 in length, and PJ Kwong recorded it over the summer.
For one thing, Mountain is an immense pleasure to watch :). She's full of energy and personality -- not to mention scientific knowledge and experience. (BTW, hockey players are the majority of her clients, from what I can tell.)
I haven't gone back to view the video again, but among the points Mountain made is that Moir does bulk up during the off-season. Once the season starts, he maintains his strength but trims down a bit in order to enhance V/M's superb lines.
As for Virtue, their goal is for her to have 100% of the muscle that she needs, but not an ounce more -- again partly for the sake of lines, and partly for Moir's sake during lifts.
Virtue/Moir always show Mountain the specific lifts in their programs, and she customizes their workouts to target the appropriate muscles.
The videos below have good footage of Virtue/Moir working out with Mountain.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^^ Just to clarify because my responses to two separate posts ended up juxtaposed above:

Virtue/Moir train with Maria Mountain twice a week in London. (She is not from Cirque du Soleil, in other words.)

V/M return to Canton with her marching orders for their workouts there without her.

BTW, the Canadian junior pair Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro also train with Mountain.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember the fan fest threads are not a place to start fights/attack members/etc. This is supposed to be the "safe haven" where we can all have fun being fangirls/fanboys.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Even at that young age, their potential for beauty was very evident. They were so cute though.........Now they are magnificent :)

Just adorable!

Scott looks exactly the same (except of course older)--same features, same expression. Tessa was always a swan, but now she's become like a super-swan.

By sheer good luck, my local bookstore (in the U.S., mind you) had their hardcover book, and I splurged on it. It catalogues their career from childhood on, generously photographed. Seeing them at that age makes you realize the kind of commitment it takes to become top skaters. Somehow it's even more striking with a couple, because they have to stay committed to each other as well as to their individual training efforts.

Now all I need is a similar book about Meryl and Charlie.

Last edited: