Meryl Davis & Charlie White | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In another one of their Today show segments on Tue morning, Davis/White were among those modeling the Ralph Lauren garb for Sochi Olympians. Davis spoke briefly to plug the date that Lauren stuff goes on sale to the public.
To see the segment, scroll down to the last video at the link below:

ETA, the direct link to the video:
The full segment (3:41) starts with a tape piece; the live portion with Lysacek, D/W, and other athletes begins at approx. 2:14.​

Lysacek was in the same group, and he reminisced (I'm paraphrasing) that at previous Olympics, he found that wearing the official items helps athletes feel that their Olympic experience has become real.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Kellogg's campaign with its Winter Olympians has started. For each "sharing" of links, Kelloggs will feed a child in need.

Here's the youtube link to a too cute for words Meryl & Charlie video. I didn't know that they competed at and won LPIDC in whatever their initial group was the first year they teamed up. There's video of their first day skating.

#GreatStartsMerylandCharlie

Here's Charlie's tweet about it

Hey- Don't forget to use the hashtag #GreatStartsMerylCharlie or watch our Start Story. Helps us feed kids in need! http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html

Here's where you can find the info on the Great Starts program

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html#athletes

For Meryl and Charlie's stuff, click on them.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Weird "mistake" by NBC to show Tessa and Scott skating in Vancouver during the introduction of Meryl "White" and Charlie "Davis"
Uh, get it together NBC!

KKonas

Medalist
Weird "mistake" by NBC to show Tessa and Scott skating in Vancouver during the introduction of Meryl "White" and Charlie "Davis"
Uh, get it together NBC!

So far, I give NBC's researchers, hosts, and TV producers a "no confidence" failing grade.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was better than the host who thought their names were Meryl White & Charlie Davis :laugh:

caitie

Medalist
The one Eurosport commentator's (not sure which one it is) crush on Charlie always makes me laugh. In the FD video he talked about the musculature of male ballet dancers when you see them without their shirts on and segued into how that reminded him of Charlie, lol.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if NBC or perhaps CBC aired Davis and White's FD at NHK? I thought they skated it there even better than at Skate America, and I'd like to make some gifsets of highlights from the program for tumblr but I want the highest quality version I can find! I taped the NBC broadcast this afternoon but there wasn't a hint of anything but the men and ladies. I thought perhaps they completely ignored ice dance and pairs coverage, but I saw someone mention NBC's pairs coverage and being surprised they didn't cover the Shibs when they won Bronze, so maybe there was another one I missed?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if NBC or perhaps CBC aired Davis and White's FD at NHK? ...

Unless I completely zoned out during NBC's NHK coverage, Davis/White's FD did not air.

I would suggest that you try checking the Universal Sports website and/or the Universal Sports channel on YouTube.
Certain videos on the Universal Sports website are accessible without a subscription. IIRC, Takahashi's and Asada's NHK programs are among the free videos ... and I think I recall that D/W's are too.

caitie

Medalist
I found the Universal Sports video, thank you very much golden411!

Maybe I'll do some from the SD as well, while I'm at it. IDK if anyone else uses tumblr, but let me know if anyone has suggestions of highlights/elements/whatever for gifs!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I taped the NBC coverage and did not hear a single word about D&W not only winning NHK, but scoring a world record for the FD. So much for claims that US media care at all about ice dance. They showed use Mirai having a dreadful LP, but not a winning program by D&W.

Yes, I taped the NBC coverage and did not hear a single word about D&W not only winning NHK, but scoring a world record for the FD. So much for claims that US media care at all about ice dance. They showed use Mirai having a dreadful LP, but not a winning program by D&W.

They're clueless, just clueless. Is it that they didn't have an ice dance commentator available for that program? So what--show the skate without commentary! What a wasted opportunity.

KKonas

Medalist
NBC not showing Davis & White's FD from NHK is no surprise to me. Having sat in numerous TV pre-production meetings, all network people think singles is what Americans want to see, especially Ladies. And they already showed D&W's FD from Skate America, that's more ice dance than they care to show. Perhaps we will see some ice dance at the GP Final, but I'm not confident.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's a sad case that NHK showed the whole FD competition, and NBC none of it, considering that Japanese fans might have good reason to be only interested in singles, since their singles are so strong, and their dance (and pairs) programs so anemic. It was lovely to see how kind the Japanese audience were to Meryl & Charlie - so many gifts & flowers raining down, and such a nice standing ovation.

Too bad US fans did not get to see it on NBC.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC not showing Davis & White's FD from NHK is no surprise to me. Having sat in numerous TV pre-production meetings, all network people think singles is what Americans want to see, especially Ladies. And they already showed D&W's FD from Skate America, that's more ice dance than they care to show. Perhaps we will see some ice dance at the GP Final, but I'm not confident.

Thx, KKonas.

It was maddening to see that that during its NHK broadcast, one of the NBC skating promos was a video (and audio) montage of -- in the following order -- Gold, Wagner, and Davis/White. (No sound from Davis, who was only seen next to White as he spoke.)
It amuses/pains me when I see opinions elsewhere that Gold is not being overhyped -- for in this case, she received top billing over the national champion in her own discipline. And both ladies preceded the world champions in dance.
(I know that I am a broken record when it comes to Max Aaron, but his omission also bothered me. I understand that many believe that Gold is a pretty thing, but Max is both the national champion and a handsome guy.)

They're clueless, just clueless. Is it that they didn't have an ice dance commentator available for that program? So what--show the skate without commentary! What a wasted opportunity.

NBC has shown ice dance without commentary on more than one occasion in the past. I doubt that its programming decisions re ice dance revolve around the issue of commentary or lack thereof.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As I've mentioned before, it pains me that Ice Dance gets the least attention on TV despite:

1.) It being is the only discipline to have maintain 3 spots during entire Olympic quad.
2.) It being is the only discipline where the top 4 ranked teams nationally earned medals in the Grand Prix series.
3.) And on yeah, the only discipline to have consistently medaled at Worlds/4CC. (Obviously Meryl and Charlie, but both the Shibutanis + Chock and Bates have medaled at 4CC as well and of course the Shibs' World bronze in 2011)
4.) And even more obvious the only discipline to have a world champion among its ranks.

CassAgain

On the Ice
It's really baffling and makes me wonder if there is some polling information out there revealing that the American audience hates ice dance. Because it doesn't seem like a hard sell--here's the discipline that the North Americans are really good at, and that almost everyone trains for in Detroit.