Ashley Wagner | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You could see that she really wanted the title, such a fierce competitor! I loved it!

lefeury

Rinkside
I want a t-shirt saying "I believed in Diva Wagner when believing in her wasn't cool" LOL I am so happy for her! I like to never fell asleep last night after watching the coverage. What a great competition, better than the super bowl!!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I want a t-shirt saying "I believed in Diva Wagner when believing in her wasn't cool" LOL I am so happy for her! I like to never fell asleep last night after watching the coverage. What a great competition, better than the super bowl!!

Can you say "I told you so..." ?!?!?!? :cheer:

Seriously, what a stunning performance! What I loved most was that she was so fierce, so focused -- absolutely lit from within. :bow: Crossing fingers & toes for WC!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am proud to be in the minority who said her FS this year was very suitable for her, and that the choreography was good even at JO. :rock:

leolion11

On the Ice
I am proud to be in the minority who said her FS this year was very suitable for her, and that the choreography was good even at JO. :rock:

That makes the two of us then :) I actually really liked her FS at JO but then again it wasn't until SC that I really started to appreciate how her FS really fits her. Glad she was able to give such a great performance of a really good FS at nationals!

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

I always thought it had great potential if skated clean!

I am thinking back to Japan Open all the way to now. WOW! Go Ashley. What grit!!!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Ashley rocked it out. Congratulations on two beautiful skates and a grand weekend! Also loved seeing her supporting Adam Rippon when he delivered his own magnificent skate the next day.

Scovies

Final Flight
Ashley's FS is my Riverdance for this year -- I've already watched it a dozen times.

Looking at riceplate's video again, I really like the relationship Ashley seems to have developed with Raf. He seems to have that typical Russian stoicism to him, but he was really sweet and encouraging right before she skated. The "I'm terrified" exchange was great, but I liked it even more once she finished:

Ashley: "You were right."

Raf: "Yep, I knew it." HA!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ICYMI, Ashley was the very first skater featured in the ISU's new weekly video fluff series (launched last week):

WAIT...WHAT!!! with Ashley Wagner (USA)
ISU Skating
Published on Jan 23, 2015
WAIT...What!!! is a playful series where we ask skaters funny questions and try and get their best reactions and a glimpse of their personality. Enjoy! American Ladies Single Skater Ashley Wagner is our first skater. Lets get the ball rolling.
0:05 - If you could be any animal what would it be?
0:11 - How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
0:17 - What is your hidden talent?
0:23 - What is your Nightmare food?
0:38 - √225 (Square root of 225)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNsP1XUMUc (0:46)​

Imagine this vid already was posted elsewhere on GS, but I didn't see it in this thread yet.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Hi everyone! I'm new to goldenskate and just found this thread.
Ashley is my inspiration! I am a competitive figure skater and will be competing at the Novice level this year. Literally, when I'm out on the ice, I am constantly thinking "be fierce like Ashley.. jump like Ashley.. use your face like Ashley" etc. I guess you could say I'm a crazed fan but I'm proud of it. After nationals I think I freaked out everyone at the rink with my obsessive-ness. Hahaha. Anyway...
Does anyone think that if Ashley skates like she did at Nationals, and gets level 4 spins, at Worlds, she could win the whole thing? She pretty much has the same technical plan as the Russians now and her performance is by far the best of everyone in the field. I think she totally could do it.. she just has to skate clean!!

lyndichee

Medalist
Hello and welcome! Good luck on all your competitions :)

I don't think she'll win even if she hits all the jumps and spins. Her jump technique and some of her spins just doesn't carry the same quality others have. She could medal and I would love to see her get a world medal as her Moulin Rouge program is to die for. Her nationals score was way too high though. I would love to see her to prove all her critics wrong but I don't think she'll be able to get past the Eliza/Elena rivalry right now.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hello and welcome! Good luck on all your competitions :)
I don't think she'll win even if she hits all the jumps and spins. Her jump technique and some of her spins just doesn't carry the same quality others have. She could medal and I would love to see her get a world medal as her Moulin Rouge program is to die for. Her nationals score was way too high though. I would love to see her to prove all her critics wrong but I don't think she'll be able to get past the Eliza/Elena rivalry right now.
Well we will never know. But yeah, I think a bronze might be possible. I hope she will skate even better than she did at National.

mustafakent

On the Ice
Ashley has the hardest repertoire with two 3Lz and 3Lo.Actually, it is same with Elena's, but unlike Elena's, Ashley does her axel's at the very beginning of her programme.
I think Ashley has a good chance to beat Elena if both two skates fully.But I am not sure about Elizaveta.However, Ashley should lead on presentation scores.

To me, Ashley has really been doing something hard.She started with 2A3T, then put 3F3T, took 3Lz out, dealed with UR issued, worked on outside edge and got it somehow, put the 3Lz again, worked on 3Lo-1Lo-3S and added not one but two 3-3, changed the combination from 3F3T to 3Lz3T, added it to both SP and FS, put two 3Lz's on FS, replaced her 3Lo with 3F on SP, at every competition she skated with a new repertoire...All of these just happened in 3 months.It is great to see how she is working hard and wants to be a champion.I really appreciate what she is delivering and couldn't be prouder as a fan.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hi everyone! I'm new to goldenskate and just found this thread.
Ashley is my inspiration! I am a competitive figure skater and will be competing at the Novice level this year. Literally, when I'm out on the ice, I am constantly thinking "be fierce like Ashley.. jump like Ashley.. use your face like Ashley" etc. I guess you could say I'm a crazed fan but I'm proud of it. After nationals I think I freaked out everyone at the rink with my obsessive-ness. Hahaha. Anyway...
Does anyone think that if Ashley skates like she did at Nationals, and gets level 4 spins, at Worlds, she could win the whole thing? She pretty much has the same technical plan as the Russians now and her performance is by far the best of everyone in the field. I think she totally could do it.. she just has to skate clean!!
Hello and welcome to GoldenSkate!

I've said this for a while: Even if Ashley never becomes World or Olympic champion, she is already an inspiration. Many people didn't consider her a worthy leading lady, didn't even consider her as talented as her contemporaries from the US. However, she proved her critics wrong by becoming the most successful of her generation. And at the age of 23--positively ancient by figure skating standards--she's still upping her technical content and fixing her shortcomings.

Who knows what will happen at Worlds... But I will be devastated if she doesn't come back with a medal of some colour. She is going in with more momentum than anyone except Liza and Elena, but her marks would depend on the tech panel (whether they'll call her lutz nothing, !, or e; whether they'll ratify her two 3-3s).

If she skates the LP like Nationals, and skates an even better SP (no two-footing her combo, sell the heck out the program), I'd have no problem with her winning Worlds. Keep in mind I'm a fan of both Russian girls, especially Liza, but clean Diva Wagner is not a lesser skater than either of them (imo).