Javier Fernandez | Page 243 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I've decided to put together some links, videos and photos about what Javi has been doing lately (I can never aspire to the level of thoroughness by eppen but I tried)

Olympic Channel f-i-n-a-l-l-y uploaded Javi's Olympic SP to YT :hap10: (His FP has been up for a while)

Joosep Martinson shared some of his wonderful Javi's photos from Euros. (the photos and Javi are breathtakingly beautiful).

A very interesting analysis of development of Javi's skating patterns and placement of elements from 2011 to 2018.

Update on Effie! She's still so big and sleeping ;)

Javi had a birthday ;) He celebrated with Marina (not sure what they were doing but they were happy and beautiful)...
Alex Shibutani congratulated his #bronzemedalbrother (maybe I'm the only one who remembers this Alex's hashtag from the Olympics but I love it and I'm not afraid to show it :laugh:)
And so did Jackie Wong. (Jackie loves Guys and Dolls and is also not afraid to show it ;), seriously for him Javi = Guys and Dolls and vice versa)

W..Skating doodles made another amazing drawing in honor of Javi. (last year's birthday drawing is here)
There were many pieces of fanart, I'll share my favourite one here.
Many fans congratulated Javi, this one is very funny ;)

Javi did SOI in Japan and had a lot of fun! I won't post individual photos (the most of them are on Eric Radford's and ShibSibs' IGs) but here is a very accurate short summary.
The whole SOI show is on YT, including Javi's retirement ceremony/speech.

And Maia and Alex were also there, which means videos, a loooot of them. So far there's been four episodes from SOI. And of course Javi is featured there a lot. (my personal highligh is Alex explaining to Javi what "binge watching" is :) )
Episode 1 - rehearsals, episode 2 - more rehearsals, episode 3 - karaoke, episode 4 - show, Stephane's birthday, dinner, and Eric watching old ShibSibs' video "wish you were real" staring Javi and Alex :laugh2:
Javi's and Alex's karaoke singing was even recognized by the Olympic Channel :laugh2:

Tonight Javi will apear on TV in Spain in kind of a race on the ice?

Throwback brought by the new Edge's thread about a quad loop: Javi's 4Lo from FaOI 2016.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
FOI Makuhati should be broadcast at 9 pm Japanese time tonight, which should mean Flamenco on Ice!!

:hap93:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Long time, no see! And this even this is just a quick visit - too busy with work and all.

But today some things well worth while chceking out in the Javi universe happened: ISU published an interview made in Minsk with Javi talking about his last competition and his career. Weeping again. They finally got one thing right in that organization?!

And Fantasy on Ice, the Makuhari 2nd day broadcast is out with Flamenco on Ice! The link is to the whole show posted on YT - watch it quickly, not sure it will stay on (but who knows...). Flamenco after 55'30''. He is also in the opening and finale.

So proud of and happy for him that they got it off the ground and this far! Rooting for the whole show coming about next year! They look so good on stage together!

(I was a little worried, despite knowing it would look good. But I still remember the moment when my budding Lambiel fandom was cut short when I saw him trying to do the same with Najarro back in the day when he was doing Poeta. Lambiel looked so sloppy and soft compared to Najarro and I could never get that image out of my mind when I saw Lambiel after that...)

But enjoy! I hope to have time and energy in the near future to hang out here a bit more...

E

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
At the moment Flamenco on Ice is also on YT (may not stay there). It's so amazing. Javi doing the choreo in skates! :eek: (And of course he wore suspenders ;) )

I'm really glad Celia, Javi Raya, Sonia and Laura also got a chance to perform for such a big crowd and got standing ovation. They deserve it so much! :love:

updated: well, as expected it's not on YT anymore... Thank you, TallyT, for saving it!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The worst is over, and I actually have time for other things than work again (well, at least for a little while)…

It is amazing that the views on this thread have gone over a million now!

The summer shows in Asia are almost over – the last Fantasy on Ice in Toyama even. They really have flown by! I am not completely aware if the Toyama FaOI gets broadcast, but saw June 22 somewhere, so hopefully… The Flamenco on Ice section from Makuhari is online (again) – the original had really bad sound quality and the uploader corrected it �� I don’t think the Sendai show was broadcast at all, so just short clip from Sendai.

And a clip from the Spanish RTVE news on the success of FlOI overall. I sincerely hope they were able to convince the producers in Japan that it would work as a separate show!

Before the shows at Sendai, he did a skating class to Japanese school kids – here a news clip on it with poor quality video. An article in S-Style with pics.

Going through his gifts in Sendai (with his manager Jorge Serradillo keeping him company and Ari Zakarian videoing.)

Then it was off to All That Skate in Seoul, which resulted in hundreds of video clips – I am sure recording was as strictly forbidden as it is everywhere else, but the Koreans just chose to ignore it…

There are some clips from the practices. I have no idea what happens here during the practices (Eunsoo Lim) And via David Baden: doing Prometo and observing others working.

And a lot from a very organized fan meeting before the shows began! Fancam covering just about the whole event in 4 parts: beginning, second part with questions and part 3 with the K-pop game (which made Javi look like he wanted to run away coz you had to sing), and the end.

The first show on Friday and the last one on Sunday were broadcast entirely. The first show was uploaded to YT but seems to have been taken down, but the second one is still there for the time being. Plus a fancam of Day 2 first hour.

He did Prometo in the first half, Black Betty in the second, opening and finale as well as a guys group number “Thunder” with Nathan Chen, Shoma Uno and June Hyoung Lee. They did not get the lights right for the beginning of Prometo in the end – the glide in took place in darkness.

Prometo from Day 1 fancam and broadcast.
Prometo Day 2 fancam.
Prometo from Day 3 fancam and broadcast.

Black Betty from Day 1 fancam and broadcast.
Black Betty from Day 2 fancam.
Black Betty from Day 3 fancam and broadcast.

Thunder from Day 1 broadcast.
Thunder from Day 2 fancam.
Thunder from Day 3 broadcast and fancam.

It was great to see Javi doing Black Betty again – the way he is able to hit every note and accent is just amazing! But seeing him do it with the modified Malaguena costume was a bit weird first - maybe Brian wanted his T-shirt back?

Pay also attention to the transitions between the numbers – after Prometo Javi stays on until the French teams are on ice and neither Vanessa nor Gabrielle sure don’t qualify as the woman he is missing in the program… Plus before Black Betty some jokiness with sassy Yuna.

Greeting before the last show (All That Skate Official).
And the westerners in the cast desperately trying to learn how to pronounce Sui Wenjing and Han Cong correctly (Vanessa James).
An after show pic of some of the cast from David Wilson who choreographed (with Sandra Bezic) and from David Baden on just Javi.

Then it was off to Toyama for the final leg in the Fantasy on Ice. The week was started with a golf game with the boys.
A video message to Plushenko’s son Alexander during the practices.
Delighted also to see him get some off-ice exercise by playing football with the Russians (now would a FaOI tour be complete without Javi playing footie??).

In the first show he did Black Betty (have not seen any mention of anything else), clips by Alexey Rogonov, Tatiana Rozonova (
Javi regranned these), Jelena Jovanovich, and Alina Ustminkina. The Russians (ladies particularly) in the cast sure loved Javi’s return!

In the second show he did Malaguena, from Tatiana Volosozhar. As well as today, from Mery Acevedo Luque.

Watching him perform in the group numbers makes me think of the 110% commitment that Kurt Browning has when he is on ice performing. He does not slack off from character ever until he is safely off ice and Javi is now really seemingly taking that cue from him. Which delights me a great deal, because that's how you should do it!

The We Miss You Javi banner finished its stay in Japan in Toyama today. The Japanese Fan Club organized fan meets and opportunities to get a pic with it – they are great!!

As if this was not enough for the “dry” summer season, the Shibutani’s dug deep into their Stars on Ice Japan clip archives and came up with a hilarious bowling video. The confident glamour pirate styled by Evgenia Medvedeva <3 is being also very loud in the background!

Considering that Javi is not that active in social media, it is a blessing that he hangs out a lot with people who do social media. Otherwise there would not be anything ever to post!

I guess he will be heading home to Spain because the summer camp will be on in July in Granada – before that hopefully some quality time with his girl, friends and family. He has earned a few days off, I think!

E

Imov

Medalist
Javi thanks for bringing Flamenco on Ice in FaOI.
I saw it personally in Sendai and it was a great experience.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are several broadcasts of the FaAoIs in the works, I want to try and clip and upload quite a few people including Javi...

... especially Black Betty {sigh}

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Japan Open just announced Javi will be on Team Europe this fall.
:love:
I'm so curious whether he'll have a new program / refresh an older one or if it will be Man of La Mancha for the third time in a row ;) and I'm also curious about the layout and the rest of team Europe (as Stephane is the guest skater I'm guessing Deniss Vasiljevs and I'm so hoping for Zhenya :luv17:)

In August/September Javi is doing seminars in Mexico!!! The whole Donovan's fan fest is counting days and doing advanced mathematics to see if they can meet or not. :pray: :pray:
I can't even express how amazing I think this idea is. Just think about summer camps in Andorra Javi as a teenager used to take part in and met there his idol Plushenko and now they are performing in the same ice shows and Javi equaled his EC's wins, well Javi even has them in a row. Now Javi is in the position of the idol. It seems that the seminars have generated great interest because they've already added one date and place!

And if you have some time you can watch Shibsibs' vlogs from SOI Japan. It has nine episodes (the latest is here) and Javi is there a lot. :love: Seems the boxing training from a while ago paid off because in the "punching" game (episode 8) Javi achieved the fourth best result ever. Just maybe basketbal is not his thing, we leave this to the Americans...;)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Whew, more than a month since anyone wrote anything on this thread… Summer lows, or just our retiree vacationing?!

Fantasy on Ice wrapped up in June already, but several broadcasts have come out after that – unfortunately not a lot of them of the whole show or broadcast on national TV especially the last leg at Toyama, so no videos of Javi doing Malagueña… There was a short clip of him doing an absolutely gorgeous 3A there (I think it was just about the only Axel I saw him do in the summer shows). There is a clip of Makuhari Day 1 interview on Flamenco on Ice.

Javi went back to Spain and did a couple of promotional gigs for ROI in Coruna and Malaga before hitting Granada for the Summer Camp. The presentation at Coruna took place at a local school and it was covered pretty well locally. A video clip on the page of the school. He was also on local TV: getting prepped and the actual interview. On radio. An interview he gave for La Voz de Galicia – he wants to do a mime program (kind of hope that was a joke). Also, a pic collection from ROI’s social media.

Then he headed south, first to Malaga with a press conference reported by EFE, ABC, and Andalucia Informacion among others. On radio Cope Malaga. Photos here.

The next day (June 27), Granada and the intro for the Summer Camp: one story here, another here, and a photo gallery.

Then it was the Summer Camp for the next two weeks – until July 12 (Jeffrey Buttle with Javi for the first week, Tracy Wilson the second). Some pics appeared as well as a few clips. The first group gets an introduction June 30. Pics from Igloo Granada from the first week. A lot of Spanish skaters from Madrid and elsewhere took part in the second week. Two clips from Pablo Garcia document his time there. Prof Javi working with little Russian girls. He also gave a talk in a meeting of the Cope radio station directors on July 3. In his social media there were also some beach pics and he visited Alhambra with Marina, so not all work.

Back to Madrid for a couple of days. The end of July was mostly spent driving around Iceland with friends some pics here, here, and here.

Return to Madrid. After which he appeared in a show by Canal Sur which seems not to be available online. I think that was recorded in the south and he even had time to go to the beach with Sonia Lafuente. On August 6, he opened the celebration of San Cayetano, San Lorenzo y La Paloma in Madrid. Lots of people in attendance and Javi declaring his love for Madrid. Someone kindly posted also a video of at least part of his talk.

Then it was off to the beach – Almeria where he and his family have spent a lot of their holidays in the past also.

He was in a TV show GlobalES on July 29. A longish interview, but not much new to add to what is already well known. It was also done before he went to Japan based on the appearance of his beard.

The events from earlier this year feature in this clip where he talks about retiring and how to do it so that you don’t end up penniless. I have been wondering how the organizers of all those events have found Javi as a speaker, but, alas, he is promoted by this company to appear as a motivational speaker.

He had made a clip to promote the seminars in Mexico, but for whatever reason, the sessions in August/September were cancelled and eventually moved to February.

The past month or so since the end of the camp have seemingly mostly been spent relaxing and actually vacationing. Well deserved, I think! At this time of the year, he has been teaching at Brian’s summer camp at Port Carling, but not this year (I don't even know if the camp was organized this year?!).

The next thing I know of is Japan Open in a little over a month. Team Europe consists of Zagitova, Trusova, Vasiljevs and Javi – and I sincerely hope the girls don’t jump all the quads for the team. It will be interesting to see what Javi will do to prepare and what he will skate there…

E