Javier Fernandez | Page 244 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whew, more than a month since anyone wrote anything on this thread… Summer lows, or just our retiree vacationing?!

Fantasy on Ice wrapped up in June already, but several broadcasts have come out after that – unfortunately not a lot of them of the whole show or broadcast on national TV especially the last leg at Toyama, so no videos of Javi doing Malagueña… There was a short clip of him doing an absolutely gorgeous 3A there (I think it was just about the only Axel I saw him do in the summer shows). There is a clip of Makuhari Day 1 interview on Flamenco on Ice.

Javi went back to Spain and did a couple of promotional gigs for ROI in Coruna and Malaga before hitting Granada for the Summer Camp. The presentation at Coruna took place at a local school and it was covered pretty well locally. A video clip on the page of the school. He was also on local TV: getting prepped and the actual interview. On radio. An interview he gave for La Voz de Galicia – he wants to do a mime program (kind of hope that was a joke). Also, a pic collection from ROI’s social media.

Then he headed south, first to Malaga with a press conference reported by EFE, ABC, and Andalucia Informacion among others. On radio Cope Malaga. Photos here.

The next day (June 27), Granada and the intro for the Summer Camp: one story here, another here, and a photo gallery.

Then it was the Summer Camp for the next two weeks – until July 12 (Jeffrey Buttle with Javi for the first week, Tracy Wilson the second). Some pics appeared as well as a few clips. The first group gets an introduction June 30. Pics from Igloo Granada from the first week. A lot of Spanish skaters from Madrid and elsewhere took part in the second week. Two clips from Pablo Garcia document his time there. Prof Javi working with little Russian girls. He also gave a talk in a meeting of the Cope radio station directors on July 3. In his social media there were also some beach pics and he visited Alhambra with Marina, so not all work.

Back to Madrid for a couple of days. The end of July was mostly spent driving around Iceland with friends some pics here, here, and here.

Return to Madrid. After which he appeared in a show by Canal Sur which seems not to be available online. I think that was recorded in the south and he even had time to go to the beach with Sonia Lafuente. On August 6, he opened the celebration of San Cayetano, San Lorenzo y La Paloma in Madrid. Lots of people in attendance and Javi declaring his love for Madrid. Someone kindly posted also a video of at least part of his talk.

Then it was off to the beach – Almeria where he and his family have spent a lot of their holidays in the past also.

He was in a TV show GlobalES on July 29. A longish interview, but not much new to add to what is already well known. It was also done before he went to Japan based on the appearance of his beard.

The events from earlier this year feature in this clip where he talks about retiring and how to do it so that you don’t end up penniless. I have been wondering how the organizers of all those events have found Javi as a speaker, but, alas, he is promoted by this company to appear as a motivational speaker.

He had made a clip to promote the seminars in Mexico, but for whatever reason, the sessions in August/September were cancelled and eventually moved to February.

The past month or so since the end of the camp have seemingly mostly been spent relaxing and actually vacationing. Well deserved, I think! At this time of the year, he has been teaching at Brian’s summer camp at Port Carling, but not this year (I don't even know if the camp was organized this year?!).

The next thing I know of is Japan Open in a little over a month. Team Europe consists of Zagitova, Trusova, Vasiljevs and Javi – and I sincerely hope the girls don’t jump all the quads for the team. It will be interesting to see what Javi will do to prepare and what he will skate there…

E

Thank you for all of this!

I did collect up the Fantasy on Ice broadcasts and scoured them for Javi, I miss him.... :(

Imov

Medalist
Javi worked hard for the last years of course he deserves a vacation.
He should enjoy what he earned.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Vacation time over - back on ice and getting ready for Japan Open and the fall shows, looks like a 3A (attempt)?! Giving himself about six weeks before the first event (probably did not get to a 3A in his first day back on ice, so started training already earlier in the week?). The question of what he will skate is still very much open.

I forgot this one from the previous recap - an interview of Antonio Najarro where he mentions that Famenco on Ice will be on in Japan in February/March 2020!

E

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
While announcing another addition to the show (Adelina Sotnikova) the organizers of the Fire on show wrote that Javi won't be able to take part in the Fire on ice shows in Ostrava and Bratislava on 6th and 7th November due to sponsor duties.... :(
Well, announced, they wrote it in passing and in Slovak only, don't they count with international fans?
I'm so disappointed, sad and maybe even angry... I can't even describe how much.
I know that it's because of ROI, I know that ROI in Malaga is on 9th November and I can imagine that the ROI team can't dictate the conditions of the sponsorship events and that every promotion is very important... on the other hand I was really really looking forward to Fire on ice, I have my ticket since February, I've booked a hotel, I was about to buy train tickets... I like Tomáš Verner, Michal Březina, Eliška Březinová, I was excited to see Alexei Yagudin and Jozef Sabovčík. But really, Javi was the main reason why I wanted to go and without him (though he was not supposed to be the main star, it's Jozef Sabovcik's show, he was supposed to be the main star for me) it's really meaningless for me to go. I'm disappointed even more because I knew that this year I can't go ROI. (sorry for the rant, I'm just sad :().

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It was a bit of surprise, that cancellation. But I don't know how they thoughthe could do both with the first show in ROI the same week and how he is the face of the tour and has to be there 24/7... I was contemplating going to Bratislava, but not now...

He did a few intense days of promotional work for ROI after getting back on ice the other week - I'll try and collect that stuff later.

Today he went to Toronto and showed up in the first day of ACI causing a bit of a buzz... At least half the people in the audience took pictures with him based on what has come out in the social media :luv17: The best part is though the reason he is there - revaled to Olympic Channel. He will be working with David on new choreographieS (it was plural all the time, so...). So a new FS for JO and maybe something else for shows. AND then he will apparently be doing two weeks under Brian's eyes (how ever much he will be in Toronto now that the season has begun properly) to get ready for JO.

E

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a bit of surprise, that cancellation. But I don't know how they thoughthe could do both with the first show in ROI the same week and how he is the face of the tour and has to be there 24/7... I was contemplating going to Bratislava, but not now...

He did a few intense days of promotional work for ROI after getting back on ice the other week - I'll try and collect that stuff later.

Today he went to Toronto and showed up in the first day of ACI causing a bit of a buzz... At least half the people in the audience took pictures with him based on what has come out in the social media :luv17: The best part is though the reason he is there - revaled to Olympic Channel. He will be working with David on new choreographieS (it was plural all the time, so...). So a new FS for JO and maybe something else for shows. AND then he will apparently be doing two weeks under Brian's eyes (how ever much he will be in Toronto now that the season has begun properly) to get ready for JO.

E

Yes, twitter bent a bit bonkers when he turned up to the ACI practice.... :luv17: he looks wonderful. Still the most classically handsome skater around...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Yes, twitter bent a bit bonkers when he turned up to the ACI practice.... :luv17: he looks wonderful. Still the most classically handsome skater around...

So it did... It was/is funny and lovely! And yeah, he looks so good! Esp. with a little shorter beard than what we saw in the early summer :love:

Some of the summer pics were from the beach and I remember thinking that he has still not gained an ounce of weight - you can still count his ribs. It won't be problem to get back to jumping the big jumps. There was a moment there I was thinking that Trusova might be the only one in Team Europe with quads...

Also, almost forgot with all this excitement - Europe on Ice put out a story on Matteo Rizzo who shared some of his conversations with Javi in Minsk in January. Just utterly cute and wonderful!

E

Imov

Medalist
Javi in ACI so cute of him to cheer for Yuzu, Jun, Condrad and Zhenya. Did I miss anybody from team TCC.
I wonder what music David and he will use for the programme they are gonna do.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
September over and Japan Open coming up next weekend! Can’t wait for the new program(s)!

ROI set is definitely heating up – only little more than a month to Malaga on November 9. Javi visited the first two cities in the beginning of September: in Zaragoza with Carlos Jean on Sept. 2, they met the mayor and it was reported in the media, El Periodico and EuropaPress. Heraldo with a little video greeting. Then he was off to Murcia where El Pozo, the food company, was announced as the major sponsor of the tour. Media reports in 7 Dias Alhama, Murcia Economia, La Verdad, a video on local TV news, another clip uploaded to YT and a longer one from Huelva Informacion also on YT. He gave a skating class to employees and their kids!

The next day he visited the Ministry of Culture and Sport in Madrid with some pics on IG.

He was asked to comment on the tragic death of Blanca Fernandez Ochoa, a alpine skier who was one of the few Spanish Olympic medalists in the winter games, with a story in La Razon and a phone interview on Cuatro. Comments also on radio program Carrusel Deportivo (around 42 minutes). A few days later, an interview at Huelva Informacion.

In between he had a bit of time to skate and at some sessions at the rink La Nevera at Majadahonda probably just about every one there wanted to have pics taken with him. Here’s a few: from Hielo Espanol and just one of the skaters. Plus he was spotted also outside without his skates on... And was visited at work by colleagues in summer gear.

He also did a little clip on September 4 for a later theme week which was hinted at by the Museo Cerralbo where the shoot took place.

Then he was off to Canada where he kept a low profile apart from the gazillion pics from ACI. One of the younger students at TCC posted a pic with him and this Ina Bauer pic I have not seen before – I am pretty sure I would remember…

Whilst he was still in Canada, the Museo Cerralbo clip was published and turned out it was part of the European Week for Sport where Spain had a theme of walking and they suggested walking from one museum to another in your city. Javi walked at least in the Museo Cerralbo. This promotional clip I wholeheartedly support! The museum people were (not surprisingly) quite excited to have him there, it seems… They even posted a version of the clip with mostly just Javi in it. He also promoted a project on healthy lifestyles for kids with a little clip.

He came back to Spain late last week and went directly to work. I think the interview which came out today was done only last week. El Dormitorio de… seems to be sponsored by a certain Scandinavian furniture giant and they designed a bedroom for Javi as part of the interview. The first part is a chat with a stylist/designer about Javi’s bedrooms in the past and now, his sleeping habits etc. (I wish I could understand all the details!) and the second part is more on his career. The whole interview clip, 17 min, it at the end of the page and also on Vimeo.

The green jacket he was wearing already in Canada was part of a promotional campaign that began today – the ad in two versions on YT, short and long.

What else? Oh yeah, ROI. It was announced on September 10 that Ashley Wagner would be taking part in the whole tour. When the Latin Grammy nominations came out the other day, they made public the first artist guest: Aitana in Malaga. Evgeni Plushenko published dates on his appearances for the end of the year and Malaga was also among them, but ROI has not made it public yet. They are doing a very different campaign for the tour this year it seems – they started promotion very early last year and now they are releasing info very late indeed. I guess there will be more guest artists and probably also guest skaters. Waiting patiently and hoping (completely in vain) that Rosalia would be the artist for Madrid…

And yesterday rather sweetly celebrating a certain two-year anniversary.

But before ROI, Japan Open… Can he repeat the Miracle of Minsk?! There have been no hints whatsoever on what the new programs might be about… Meanwhile, a lot of fairly good quality clips of Javi’s old competitions have been uploaded on YT – easy enough to find by sorting a search for Javier Fernandez by upload date. Enjoy them before we get something new!

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
VERY delighted to see the translation! :thumbsup: Pillow talk, indeed :laugh: Made me realize that I have skating Spanish down fairly good, but decoration vocabulary is well beyond my Spanish skills... It is interesting and also shocking to note that Italian has adopted the most common Latin word for bed, lectus, and turned it into letto. Whereas Spanish uses a much rarer word for the same thing, cama, which has a strong Greek origin and use, but which was hardy used in Latin texts...

But now I am also a bit confused - I really did think he was back home because it seemed that on Friday he attended a concert in Madrid. But last night he gave a five-hour (!) seminar for skaters of the North Toronto Skating Club... Javier Raya posted some clips in his IG story (one and two) and there was general excitement in the air. Prof Javi :love:

That he is still there does match better what he said at ACI about staying in Toronto for a little more than 2 weeks...

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
A piece of ROI news - the guest artist at Bilbao is Vanesa Martin.

Javi arrived safely in Tokyo and was greeted by the Japanese fans (Equipo Javier Japon) with flowers as befits the tradition...

Today first practices, a couple of photos with Nathan (one, two, three - the middle pic here) and some from a runthrough. But so far not a peep about what he is skating to (at least I have not found anything). The poses I could place to a couple of old programs, but...

I am not feeling patient at all, but I guess I have to be. :eek:hwell:

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Well, Trusova was the only one in Team Europe with quads then after all... (And she had plenty!) :laugh:

I thought about Barber when I saw the pic of him looking up yesterday, but thought it might be a recycled move. And it was, but not just a move, but the program. It will be interesting to see what they have done to it. Hope he has at least a new show number...

E