Javier Fernandez | Page 248 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Time for some Javi praise! ;)

Jordan Cowan from on ice perspectives is doing live interviews on YouTube with skaters he's filmed last year, mainly at US SOI, at ice dance academy in Montreal and at ROI in Madrid. (I hope he'll also do an interview with Javi)
The first part of the interview with Elladj Balde is about ROI and his performances there (around 6:00 to 20:00ist). Both were so amazed by the arena, the round shape as it is a bullfighting arena, the acustics there... Really insightful.

Then there's interview with Ashley Wagner. Also with videos from ROI. Here's a short excerpt:
Ashley: The rink was so cool. It was a bullfighting arena.
Jordan: It was just a massive circle and the next two nights we had, it was sold out shows. I cannot stop talking about how awesome that show was.
Ashley: It was so cool. This is what Javi Fernandez created in Spain. I mean to have that kind of a following... It was the coolest audience I've ever performed in front of. I felt like a rockstar. Both nights. I think the arena helds 16.000 people and it was packed every single night. And I mean this was because of Javi. Javi did that. In Spain which is just amazing and they were such an appreciate audience... To have an audience that is that alive omg, I loved it, I ate it up.
Jordan: Yeah, I can't wait. I hope Javi gets to have another show in Spain soon.
Ashley: fingers crossed.

Then an article in Absolute Skating, interview with Donovan Carrillo :love:
Interviewer: I read that you also said once you looked up to Javier Fernandez…
Donovan: Yes, he is one of my biggest idols because he also came from a country where the sport is not that popular and he accomplished big goals and big things and he made Spain really proud, so yes, he is one of my biggest inspirations.
I: At your last interview with Absolute Skating you had yet to meet him. Did you have the opportunity?
D: Yes, yes I had the opportunity. (I think he means the 2019 Worlds banquet) He is a really nice person and I really hope I will have the opportunity to maybe work with him one day for example for an exhibition. That would be a total honor for me.

I know that this year's summer camp is cancelled but Javi, please, invite Donovan next year, pretty pleaaaaaaase

And a lighthearted finish ;)
Under On ice perspective's video with Javi's 3A I've found this comment by Zhenya Medvedeva. (if someone tries to convince me that it wasn't Javi who gave her Brian's number I wouldn't believe them in a milion years ;) )

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It is so nice to see him appreciated :luv17:

Although I must wonder where do they get their information? Like according to the Palacio Vistalegre's own website, the max. capacity is 14 000 with the setup they had for ROI. And neither of the shows in 2019 was sold out - I was there and I could see that the empty seats esp. in the upper central part of the stands were not caused by just some people not being able to come. The photographer who worked for Last Lap, the production company, said 13 500 for one or the other show in his IG and I think that sounds about right based on what could be seen (and what the ticket sales looked like before the show began on each day).

13 500 is definitely not 16 000, but still very very good especially considering that it is Spain we are talking about. I think the two Madrid shows still count among of the biggest FS events for 2019 - some of the competitions were held at larger arenas and probably sold out on some of the days, Yuna's All That Skate was at a larger arena also and sold out. The Japanese arenas are quite small - usually well below 10 000, but they have 3 shows/weekend in each to compensate. Some of the venues for SOI in North America were very large, but I don't know how well they sold, but I suspect that not necessarily sold out venues. In Europe, Art on Ice is in smallish arenas, but Holiday on Ice might get good audiences despite it never really being considered. Don't know how big the Russian venues are, but they do have big tours and shows also.

And it seems that the trip to Barcelona some time ago was for business - the collaboration with Uniqlo continues on their summer sports line and the shoot was made in Barcelona as revealed by the sportsclub IG. I am pleased with this campaign - not only in hopes of a similar complete overhaul of Javi's summer wardrobe as happened with his winter attire (I don't wanna see those yellow flowery shorts/bermudas again, please!) but also because parts of it involved the inclusive sports theme with a tennis player in a wheel chair.

The other week, Felipe Montoya revealed pics and clips of a shoot in Madrid in his IG (among them proof that Javi still can jump). It was for three days, but its purpose remained unclear. Today, the finished clip was released and it was made for a campaing on traffic safety by the interior ministry of Spain. The clip has been shared in all the social media, but here's a link to the YT version. It is pretty good IMO - it was made in the rink that was used as a temporary morgue during the worst days of the pandemic in Spain and the message is "we don't need more death in this country". A powerful and emotional message.

Can you make the difference between Felipe and Javi skating in the clip? (Felipe does not get even a mention, but a shout out here at least!)

E

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
The other week, Felipe Montoya revealed pics and clips of a shoot in Madrid in his IG (among them proof that Javi still can jump). It was for three days, but its purpose remained unclear. Today, the finished clip was released and it was made for a campaing on traffic safety by the interior ministry of Spain. The clip has been shared in all the social media, but here's a link to the YT version. It is pretty good IMO - it was made in the rink that was used as a temporary morgue during the worst days of the pandemic in Spain and the message is "we don't need more death in this country". A powerful and emotional message.

Can you make the difference between Felipe and Javi skating in the clip? (Felipe does not get even a mention, but a shout out here at least!)

E

A few hours ago, I was watching the news on TV, they were talking about the new road safety campaign for this summer and, when I saw Javi skating, the first thing that came to my mind was: "I'm sure that if I go to GSForum EPPEN has already seen it and has posted all the links" :laugh: Good job!! :agree:
But I had to come anyway, because I really like the ad. It was a surprise for me to see Javi there, our "Home office" make this kind of campaigns quite often and they are usually good, always exploring new ideas and making sure that they don´t go unnoticed. This one is really touching.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is so nice to see him appreciated :luv17:

Although I must wonder where do they get their information? Like according to the Palacio Vistalegre's own website, the max. capacity is 14 000 with the setup they had for ROI. And neither of the shows in 2019 was sold out - I was there and I could see that the empty seats esp. in the upper central part of the stands were not caused by just some people not being able to come. The photographer who worked for Last Lap, the production company, said 13 500 for one or the other show in his IG and I think that sounds about right based on what could be seen (and what the ticket sales looked like before the show began on each day).

13 500 is definitely not 16 000, but still very very good especially considering that it is Spain we are talking about. I think the two Madrid shows still count among of the biggest FS events for 2019 - some of the competitions were held at larger arenas and probably sold out on some of the days, Yuna's All That Skate was at a larger arena also and sold out. The Japanese arenas are quite small - usually well below 10 000, but they have 3 shows/weekend in each to compensate. Some of the venues for SOI in North America were very large, but I don't know how well they sold, but I suspect that not necessarily sold out venues. In Europe, Art on Ice is in smallish arenas, but Holiday on Ice might get good audiences despite it never really being considered. Don't know how big the Russian venues are, but they do have big tours and shows also.

And it seems that the trip to Barcelona some time ago was for business - the collaboration with Uniqlo continues on their summer sports line and the shoot was made in Barcelona as revealed by the sportsclub IG. I am pleased with this campaign - not only in hopes of a similar complete overhaul of Javi's summer wardrobe as happened with his winter attire (I don't wanna see those yellow flowery shorts/bermudas again, please!) but also because parts of it involved the inclusive sports theme with a tennis player in a wheel chair.

E

Thank you for this, it was as you say very powerful and moving.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I think whoever came up with the concept should get awards... It combines so many different associations both on a personal and societal level with an edge related to current events, that few this kind of ads reach these levels. It is abstract and concrete, beautiful and disturbing all at the same time.

Hopefully it will be more effective than the usual shock effect traffic warnings with crushed cars etc.

RTVE also published short interviews of Javi and first responders - does not seem to be geoblocked.

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Summer interview from yesterday - RTVE Alvarez Cafe (does not seem to be geoblocked). Fairly general stuff at the beginning, towards the middle more about figure skating as a sport. Have not watched it through yet...

Javi is apparently by the sea (it says Alicante at the top of his screen) and I suspect he has spent most of his time somewhere on the coast for weeks now. The putty color seen at the end of June has turned to a proper tan (just hope he is using proper UV filtered sunblock). He is taking full advantage of the unexpected break in all of his activities, but I still hope we get to see him on ice at some point soon enough...

E

maturines

Rinkside
Javi made an appearance at the tv contest "Adivina qué hago esta noche" (Guess what I'm doing tonight), as assistant to one of the contestants. You can watch it here but it's geoblocked. Also in youtube you can watch a short documentary about the road safety campaign.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
At Czech test skates, one of the skaters - Damian Malczyk - performed his short program and he was clearly inspired :luv17: :luv17: It's so cute how he tries to really repeat some of Javi's moves.
Part 1
Part 2

maturines

Rinkside
According to IFS magazine twitter, Javi will be skating at the show "Figure Skating Lovers Festival" in Moscow next month!

He will also participate as an ambassador in the promotion campaign for the Spanish lemon "Welcome to the Lemon Age" with Saúl Craviotto (who has 4 Olympic medals in kayak) and Sandra Sánchez, world and european champion of karate. Something very appropriate for him, given his habit of eating lemon before skating... 🍋

On Sunday he congratulated Rafa Nadal in his social networks for his 13th victory at Roland Garros, posting a photo with him.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Still love to have a bit of Javi news! My faves from recent weeks are the lemon project (don't really need new incentives to buy lemons for cooking etc., but now it will be especially enjoyable for getting to associate them with Javi...) and the bit on him getting on with the coaching project. Most countries require some kind of training and passing exams to become a professional coach and Spain is no exception. Javi together with Sara Hurtado and Sonia Lafuente (who was already hired as a coach in one of the Madrid rinks) started the process recently. AS reports. Back to school! (Hope he is more excited about this than what he seems to have been of actual school back in the day. ;))

Kudos also to Javi's manager who in the spring (finally?) set up bigger shop with a management and events company Magic4U. He has done a tremendous job in selling the figure skater to a country obsessed with football and I can only hope that the start during the pandemic is the kind of test of fire after which everything is just a piece of cake...

e

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I guess this is prepping for the Russian show (however that will be realized - don't think he can actually be there in person with the current travel restrictions?!!), the other day at Valdemoro, Prometo in progress.

E

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Here is Super Javi from the show in Russia
And Javi also visited Plushenko's school. (Is Plush hinting something here or am I reading too much into it? :wink:)
And a very interesting interview with Javi, first it was published in Russian and then I guess back translated into English. The insight he has into the sport and is able to clearly communicate is amazing.

I love to see how loved Javi is in Russia. Here with Dima. And here a little story by Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva - it's machine translation but at least the fist half is very clear :love:

He was also joking a bit with Fernando Alonso on Twitter :D

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It was so cool to see him skate after such a long time that I am ready to forgive the travel, no quarantines, hardly any masks in sight etc. Considering the latest news on so many of the Russian figure skaters getting infected, it is a small miracle that he apparently got away with it.

But since Russia, Javi has been busy launching his coaching career. He sure has not wasted time during this weird year (I have also seen him driving a car first time ever, which I believe is also a very recent development) and probably got some credentials for training earlier in the fall. And then on November 19, the JFAcademy was announced. He is also apparently not shy of making a splash (remember those last Europeans?!) - I cannot remember seeing anything like this when Lambiel or Amodio (or even Plushenko?) started working on their coaching careers (maybe something from Russia with Lipnitskaya, though?). Let's hope it will be all successful and develop into something permanent!

So, from interviews etc., it has been possible to deduce that he will start with clinics or seminars in different parts of Spain (as the rinks keep closing down in Spain, it will be interesting to see how many places he will get to), the first one is on its second day in Madrid as I type. He will also work with the federation in prepping the skaters for their technical tests (if I got it right) and did some work with the Madrid skaters on Sunday. It is cool to see that they have been able to procure sponsors for the clinics and collaborate also with Down Espana as part of the inclusive sports effort. Let's hope he will be able to find a permanent base for the skating school he wishes to establish one day!

But here's some recent media links on the launch of the JFAcdemy:
TeleMadrid and Olympic Channel articles on the launch. Collaboration with the fed in Marca. A video interview with Marca on the JFAcademy (bits of it in writing). Aand an hour-long interview on Radio Marca on everything possible (still sour grapes on the Minsk SP :laugh:).

Report on the Sunday session with the Madrid skaters. (Another one.) And a clip of Prof Javi in action. :love2: And another one, just because it is so lovely to see!

The first day of the clinic featured a display of his medals and the Barber of Seville costume. A visit from the Director of the Spanish Olympic Committee etc. Just another day at the rink :laugh: And Javi at work clip, a second one, a third one, and today with Down Espana group.

He also appeared in the PlayStation 5 launch video (although mostly in the trailer, not so much in the longer version of it)! And did what seems like a talk gig for Randstad Valores conferences (trailer, IG chat and actual event).

Can't wait to see the next phases!
E