Javier Fernandez | Page 114 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Max Aaron skated to Black Betty in exhibitions for a couple of years, but I think there was some European guy who used Black Betty in competition, but in combination with something else. Can't remember who it was... I think I might have even seen that program live...

I had forgotten about the two Figaros :laugh: But yeah, there was some comparisons although the music was different.

E

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Max Aaron skated to Black Betty in exhibitions for a couple of years, but I think there was some European guy who used Black Betty in competition, but in combination with something else. Can't remember who it was... I think I might have even seen that program live...

I had forgotten about the two Figaros :laugh: But yeah, there was some comparisons although the music was different.

E
Did you meant Patrick Myzyk? He did skate to Black Betty and Beatles in SP. For two or even three seasons.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Did you meant Patrick Myzyk? He did skate to Black Betty and Beatles in SP. For two or even three seasons.

Oh yes, that was him. Thanks a lot, cathlen! So I've seen him do it twice, but could not remember the name... :disapp:

e

honghe

On the Ice

You guys really have great memories!:clap:
I guess eppen probably saw Myzyk's SP at Euros in Stockholm? That would be the same season as Javi's Black Betty SP?

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
You guys really have great memories!:clap:
I guess eppen probably saw Myzyk's SP at Euros in Stockholm? That would be the same season as Javi's Black Betty SP?

Well, hey, it's something related to Javi, so it's worth remembering!

Yeah, Myzyk was both in Stockhom and Bratislava and with the same SP. As cathlen said, his music cut had both Beatles and Black Betty, so it was not done anywhere near the same way as Javi's program, but Myzyk also wore a black T and pants with a belt (rock'n'roll, eh?! + cheap). Aaron did the BB exhibition already in 2012-3.

e

honghe

On the Ice
but Myzyk also wore a black T and pants with a belt

I usually like black Ts so the more the better:biggrin:
At least I guess the sleeves of Myzyk's black T didn't have to be taken in... (Sorry Javi, I'll forever remember that story:laugh:)

Speaking of exhibition programs... I wonder whether Javi will have a new one at the beginning of the season. He usually seems to have new ones, except with the SuperJavi program which he debuted at Worlds and kept using it in the following season. I'm also curious about what exactly he is collaborating with Henry Mendez for. (I guess I am really just hungry for any information about programs, including exhibition numbers... Oh well. I'll be patient.)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although I´m not a fan of Elvis´ music, I still liked a few of those songs (can be counted with one hand, LOL). BUT, I absolutely trust in David Wilson ability to create an awesome Elvis program for Javi, the best.

Personally I think that in most cases it would be best for the skaters to leave the music choice to their choreographers. Lots of times other people are able to see better what kind of music suits these skaters best. If a skater likes some music, it does not necessarily mean that he/she is able to interpret it fully.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
A bit of Javier news: He's going to be skating in a fundraising show supported by the Brian Orser Foundation for the Port Carling Figure Skating Club on September 3.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Maintaining the fall routine, then :)

This little vid from the EC Bratislava gala practice was posted today: https://twitter.com/tooko3/status/757923891842985984 (Javi playing pairs with Kovtun)

I guess the choice of music has to please the skater as much as the coach and the choreographer - otherwise it might not lead to very good results... In Javi's case it has been said quite a few times that he has to like the music, costumes etc. because in the he is the one who has to do it day in, day out and compete as well.

E

evergreen

On the Ice
I usually like black Ts so the more the better:biggrin:
At least I guess the sleeves of Myzyk's black T didn't have to be taken in... (Sorry Javi, I'll forever remember that story:laugh:)

I generally don't like seeing belts in skating costumes but Javi's in his black-betty outfit is dreamy :luv17: particularly the tight black T-shirt with see-through inserts ;) Brain has a very good sense of style and I was surprised that Kurt Browning could instantly tell what Javi wore was a piece of Brian Orser's old costume for his show program "black dog" :eek:

honghe

On the Ice
This little vid from the EC Bratislava gala practice was posted today: https://twitter.com/tooko3/status/757923891842985984 (Javi playing pairs with Kovtun)

Haha was that Brezina who threw ice at Kovtun?

I guess the choice of music has to please the skater as much as the coach and the choreographer - otherwise it might not lead to very good results... In Javi's case it has been said quite a few times that he has to like the music, costumes etc. because in the he is the one who has to do it day in, day out and compete as well.
E

I guess coaches and choreographers are often more experienced in what they do, and in some cases know skaters in ways they themselves probably don't know, so the opinions of coaches and choreographers are for sure very important. On the other hand, it would be very difficult for any program to work if the skater feels no connection to it at all. So ideally there should be a lot of mutual trust among all the people involved, and they can communicate effectively when necessary.

I generally don't like seeing belts in skating costumes but Javi's in his black-betty outfit is dreamy :luv17: particularly the tight black T-shirt with see-through inserts ;) Brain has a very good sense of style and I was surprised that Kurt Browning could instantly tell what Javi wore was a piece of Brian Orser's old costume for his show program "black dog" :eek:

I love that outfit, too.:luv17:

I don't have anything against belts but Javi's love for suspenders probably has eliminated some chances for belts:laugh:

honghe

On the Ice
Meet the new tourism ambassador for the city of Madrid for Japan: https://twitter.com/javierfernandez/status/758273697136377856

So he now has more reasons to gush about how great Madrid is:laugh:

And if I understood correctly he will have a gig to Japan on October 28th in this job: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?...nidadMadrid/Estructura&pid=1109265463020&sc=0

That's like, a week before CoR? I am happy that he gets to be the tourism ambassador for his beloved Madrid, but I kind of wish he does not have to physically travel to Japan a week before his first GP event this season... Back to back GP events already mean a lot of traveling and jet lag to deal with...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The text is a bit vague on what will actually happen - a new direct flight route from Madrid to Tokyo will start on the day and Javi will be somehow connected with that. However, if he will to go to Japan or whether it'll be something else is not absolutely clear. We'll see...

E

evergreen

On the Ice
I love that outfit, too.:luv17:

I don't have anything against belts but Javi's love for suspenders probably has eliminated some chances for belts:laugh:

In my book, belt on a male skater looks too casual and a little unsophisticated, plus it cuts the line of the body; but here the belt fits the rock n roll theme, and Javi's tight T-shirt and his little dance moves with his hips and arms are really flamboyant & eye catching :luv17:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have understood that Javi had Orser´s black shirt in "Black Betty" and the whole outfit looked great, IMO. At one time the outfit consisting of a kind of T-shirt, belt and trousers was called Canadian male skater´s uniform on skating forums....