Javier Fernandez | Page 115 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
I think that looks like an older picture, and Javi said he would stay in Spain until August :shrug:

Did he mention in TSL interview last month that he would return to Toronto to work on his free skate with David Wilson at the end of July? I assume he did this week, plus he is wearing a new warm up Spanish team jacket.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Did he mention in TSL interview last month that he would return to Toronto to work on his free skate with David Wilson at the end of July? I assume he did this week, plus he is wearing a new warm up Spanish team jacket.

Isn't it one of the jackets from the Olympic season? I'm almost sure I've seen it before. But if he's already in Toronto working on his program then I'm relieved :yes: I wonder if Malagueña is ready or if he will work on it once he is back in Spain?

liv

Record Breaker
That girl is getting pics with her famous clubmates... it was yuzu yesterday. It is nice that both guys are so thoughtful and pose with the young ones.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
He's very "Uncle Javi" in that pic ;-)

The jacket is from 2013-4 as xibsuarz remembered: http://img.rtve.es/imagenes/javier-fernandez-se-cita-historia-sochi/1392304034475.jpg

An interview from Las Provincias in Spanish: http://www.lasprovincias.es/gente-e...las-primo-lejano-pueblo-20160728234555-v.html (some tidbits about superstitions and other stuff, not much new, though. Do I dare to ask: xibsuarz?!)

And a promise of an interview in English on Icenetwork with pic from Wednesday: https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/758396155533234176

Let's hope that some videos emerge :biggrin: So, they seem to be in schedule with no unplanned mishaps so far...

E

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
He's very "Uncle Javi" in that pic ;-)

The jacket is from 2013-4 as xibsuarz remembered: http://img.rtve.es/imagenes/javier-fernandez-se-cita-historia-sochi/1392304034475.jpg

An interview from Las Provincias in Spanish: http://www.lasprovincias.es/gente-e...las-primo-lejano-pueblo-20160728234555-v.html (some tidbits about superstitions and other stuff, not much new, though. Do I dare to ask: xibsuarz?!)

And a promise of an interview in English on Icenetwork with pic from Wednesday: https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/758396155533234176

Let's hope that some videos emerge :biggrin: So, they seem to be in schedule with no unplanned mishaps so far...

E

Yeah, nothing much about this is new, but some trivial stuff. He joked about how he should have chosen a summer sport because he really enjoys staying under the sun and tan. He talked a bit about still being more famous in Japan than in Spain, about being Casilla's distant relative (because everyone in Navalacruz is somehow related). About superstitions, as he's said before, he does not go crazy if he doesn't do certain things. He can't stand negative people. He said he is a bit careless regarding where he places his stuff, he constantly loses his passport and toiletries when traveling, he said he buys between 30 and 40 toothbrushes a year! And idk why they asked him if he could set up IKEA furniture without ending up with extra screws, he said he can't.
He doesn't consider himself a great dancer, but still has fun doing it. He said he makes a great potato and onion tortilla but he is not good at being on time and playing golf (as he saw on that IG video :laugh: ) he tries to Skype with his mom every day, and when the topic of having a Japanese girlfriend came up, he said he wouldn't move to Japan, that he is too Spanish (he does seem to miss home badly when he's training, I guess he is looking forward to get back and be a coach in Spain).

Last edited:

tzazu

Medalist
Yeah, nothing much about this is new, but some trivial stuff. He joked about how he should have chosen a summer sport because he really enjoys staying under the sun and tan. He talked a bit about still being more famous in Japan than in Spain, about being Casilla's distant relative (because everyone in Navalacruz is somehow related). About superstitions, as he's said before, he does not go crazy if he doesn't do certain things. He can't stand negative people. He said he is a bit careless regarding where he places his stuff, he constantly loses his passport and toiletries when traveling, he said he buys between 30 and 40 toothbrushes a year! And idk why they asked him if he could set up IKEA furniture without staying with extra screws, he said he can't.
He doesn't consider himself a great dancer, but still has fun doing it. He said he makes a great potato and onion tortilla but he is not good at being on time and playing golf (as he saw on that IG video :laugh: ) he tries to Skype with his mom every day, and when the topic of having a Japanese girlfriend came up, he said he wouldn't move to Japan, that he is too Spanish (he does seem to miss home badly when he's training, I guess he is looking forward to get back and be a coach in Spain).

I think it's something related with his first move to USA some years ago, when he was training with Morozov. The flat he rent didn't have furniture, and he had to buy some and assemble them the first night he arrived:drama: The poor thing, he was only 17, no English, no friends, no parents there,...:sad46:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
There was a Spanish coach who went to the US at the same time (can't remember the name) who kind of took Javi under his wing in those first times. And from what has come out with in some interviews now is that the Morozov skater group seems to have been pretty tightknit (because they were travelling so much all the time?) and friendly with each other. I kind of like Javi's independence - he does need a minder taking care of him all the time...

Another Elvis popped up in Lake Placid ice dance comp :laugh: What scares the hell out of me is that the ones we've seen so far have been styled as the 1970s Elvises with the jumpsuits and a whiff of an eaglecape on his shoulders. For me that is the very sad and even ridiculous Elvis and my wish to all the figure skating gods is that David has something else in mind!

Both Shibutanis posted some photos from The Ice 2012 with some Javi cuteness as an added bonus:
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/759196881285152768
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIdi4ovh2n8/?tagged=javierfernandez

And this from roughly the same time, 2012-3 season with Hanyu - had not seen this before and was wondering which competition it was?!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfJo8ZDljN/?tagged=yuzuruhanyu

E

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
And this from roughly the same time, 2012-3 season with Hanyu - had not seen this before and was wondering which competition it was?!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfJo8ZDljN/?tagged=yuzuruhanyu

E

That's the 2013 Finlandia Trophy, but I think that footage was just shown this week or so, Javi came in 3rd :) oh that Charlie Chaplin costume brings
back so many memories. I think that, up until Guys and Dolls, there wasn't a FS that suited him as well as Chaplin did :yes:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ah, 2012, wasn't it? I could not go because I was on a trip for work that weekend...

There is a video also: https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfVVlXAExE/?tagged=yuzuruhanyu

I have mixed feelings about Chaplin - it is kind of good, but with 5 changes in music (specially the weird interlude between Smile and the Limelight theme which is just odd) it's just not very good, too many stop-and-gos in the choreo. He performed it just fine, though...

Plus browsing through that seaon it was funny to note that he did some really fine stuff in the competitions, particularly the quads and 3As with EXACTLY the same entrances as he does today and managed to get quite low GOEs, like 0s and 1s mostly. Makes you realize how biased judging can be and how success does elevate your score...

E

honghe

On the Ice
I thought you were supposed to end up with extra screws, that they gave you extra ones just in case? That's what I told myself when I ended up with extra screws after assembling my bookshelves and desk lol. I hope they are OK.

And from what has come out with in some interviews now is that the Morozov skater group seems to have been pretty tightknit (because they were travelling so much all the time?) and friendly with each other.

I get the same impression from interviews, too. It looks like these skaters were a quite friendly and fun group of people, and some of them stayed very friendly with each other even after they left Morozov.

Both Shibutanis posted some photos from The Ice 2012 with some Javi cuteness as an added bonus:
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/759196881285152768
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIdi4ovh2n8/?tagged=javierfernandez

Awww they always post some of the best stuff:luv17:

:eek:topic: eppen, did you get a new avatar or did I just notice it?

I think that, up until Guys and Dolls, there wasn't a FS that suited him as well as Chaplin did :yes:
I have mixed feelings about Chaplin - it is kind of good, but with 5 changes in music (specially the weird interlude between Smile and the Limelight theme which is just odd) it's just not very good, too many stop-and-gos in the choreo. He performed it just fine, though...

I think evergreen shared an interview in which Brian said that people were telling him they had not mean moved that much by a program since Kurt's Casablanca about 20 years ago? That was some very high praise. I think the Chaplin program was important for Javi also in the sense that it was the FS with which he really established himself (medaling for the first time at both Euros and Worlds).
I like it a lot. It was charming and suited Javi. I'd like the music editing to be a bit more coherent (I'm praying that the Elvis program has more coherent music editing) but it's still a really cute program. The stop-and-gos in the choreo could also be seen in some of Javi's other programs. I think it's only with Guys and Dolls that those are becoming less glaring (they still exist). I guess that they are there to let him rest a bit, and he probably needed them more back then, as I remember someone mentioned back then that Javi had a relatively laid back attitude about his conditioning.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
:eek:topic: eppen, did you get a new avatar or did I just notice it?

I just got over 100 posts and was allowed to have an avatar of my own :biggrin: Europeans Bratislava, one of the practise sessions. It was difficult to find a photo that could be turned into a 100 x 100 pixel avatar...

I like it a lot. It was charming and suited Javi. I'd like the music editing to be a bit more coherent (I'm praying that the Elvis program has more coherent music editing) but it's still a really cute program. The stop-and-gos in the choreo could also be seen in some of Javi's other programs. I think it's only with Guys and Dolls that those are becoming less glaring (they still exist). I guess that they are there to let him rest a bit, and he probably needed them more back then, as I remember someone mentioned back then that Javi had a relatively laid back attitude about his conditioning.

Every skater needs some breaks in the choreo, I guess, but of course they can also be masked (there's so much of just standing around and waving your arms!)... In the Chaplin routine, most of the changes in music are marked with a stationary or semi-stationary bit, they are kind of choreographed, but are still really obvious stops ;)

Only later, in the Barber of Seville, he really stops completely for a total of a couple of seconds in two places (but I don't know whether it was that or the pretty explosive choreo sequence that caused him to be really tired after each performance right until the end of the season). In Guys he has the same two stops (at the start of Luck be a Lady and after the second 3A), but like in Barber they are fully choreographed and include very little of completely stationary moments (eg the dice throwing) so it never looks like he is really taking a break.

I think there is also a change in the way they are putting the programs together starting with 2014-5 season - more attention to the "storyline", proper red threads through the programs, close connection between the music, movement and also words. I don't know what has changed, but I sure hope they keep producing new ones at the same level!

E

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Plus browsing through that seaon it was funny to note that he did some really fine stuff in the competitions, particularly the quads and 3As with EXACTLY the same entrances as he does today and managed to get quite low GOEs, like 0s and 1s mostly. Makes you realize how biased judging can be and how success does elevate your score... E

Yes, that´s reputation! I remember Irina Rodnina´s famous words from the past: "First a skater works for reputation and after that the reputation works for the skater"...

BTW, I loved the "Chaplin" program. Oh, and I think that every skater has places in the choreography "for resting".

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
I just got over 100 posts and was allowed to have an avatar of my own :biggrin: Europeans Bratislava, one of the practise sessions. It was difficult to find a photo that could be turned into a 100 x 100 pixel avatar...

Congrats on hitting 100 posts! It's a nice choice for avatar: very eye catching because of the color of the shirt:biggrin:

eg the dice throwing

I felt that rolling the dice was a very nice choreographic touch:luv17: It fitted the program well.

I think there is also a change in the way they are putting the programs together starting with 2014-5 season - more attention to the "storyline", proper red threads through the programs, close connection between the music, movement and also words. I don't know what has changed, but I sure hope they keep producing new ones at the same level!

I agree that in terms of storytelling, constructing a narrative and being coherent, Javi's FS programs since the 2014-2015 season have been a step up from those before 2014. I'd say that Guys and Dolls was even quite noticeably better than Barber, so I hope the trend continues. Of course these programs already had stories behind them, and with Elvis it could be a lot different. Still, I wish that they've found some connections among the songs they've chosen apart from that they share the same singer.