Javier Fernandez | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

skatefan22

Medalist
I have not read what those Yuzuru fans are saying, but maybe reading the interview its that they misunderstood Javi's words, since he says he prefers at the moment to do his jumps good than adding another quad. Maybe they read too much into this and thought this was him trying to insinuate Yuzuru prefers to add another quad than doing his current jumps good. But what Javi meant is that at the moment he prefers to not add another quad himself and concentrate on doing the jumps he already has clean, i mean he and yuzu are diferent skaters and something that for one is hard for the other may be more easy, he even says this might change during the season so he might end adding another quad too.

I feel that what Hanyu fans are having words is that Javier disclosed Hanyu's strategy of having 4 quads in long program (adding a "it seems" doesn't help much). Though Brian already said Hanyu might add 4loop, it doesn't necessarily mean Hanyu will have four quads because he might well replace 4toe with 4loop so as not to stress his injured foot that much. :think:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^xibsuarz Thank you so much for your efforts on that translation. I'm sure that was very challenging! :drama: I feel like I really know Javi better as a person after reading that. I think Spain needs to declare him as a National Treasure! I'm really anxious to see his Elvis program! Thx again!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'd say many Chinese and some Japanese fans prefer that Yuzuru himself talk about his intention for the new season, not his training mates or his coaches.
Some of them might act quite negatively as they think Yuzuru's intention of doing 4 quads in the free skate should not be disclosed by anyone else but Yuzuru himself.
A girl on Facebook group uploaded a video of Yuzuru doing 4lo and some people think it's against his privacy etc.
I know Javi didn't have any bad intention at all when he mentioned that "Yuzuru might put 4 quads in LP". Frankly it's not such a big surprise. Skating world always expect that Yuzuru will upgrade his tech each new season anyway.

However, looking at it from East Asian's view, I have to say I understand why some people have opposite ideas. As East Asian culture is vastly different from Western. There are many things Western people don't think it's an issue but East Asians might find it quite troublesome.

In our societies, expectation on the famous individuals can be crazily huge. If there is any information that is leaked, media will jump in and spread it all over the place and make it headline for weeks. Sometimes they shove on you bigger expectation than your ability can handle. There is this Korean rhythmic gymnastic girl, she is really good but not the best and never won gold at WC, but going into Rio she had to suffer huge expectation from her country to win against other much stronger girls, in the end she placed 4th (and she did really great, just that others were better). Some people in her country attacked her for not bringing home gold which even at her best she could never get it if other girls were clean. The girl said those attacks made her want to quit like a dozen times a day. I have to say this kind of expectation can ruin you and drive you crazy.

So that's why sometimes Asians are more secretive and Western people don't see why. We might think that "oh please, he just said Yuzuru might do 4 quads, it's no big deal. Yuzuru will do it anyway". But some East Asians might think that: "So the media will hype all over the place that Yuzuru will do 4 quads, they will tell everyone that he has the hardest layout. But what if practice isn't good as plan and in competition he doesn't do that layout, the media will attack him and call him coward to not do this and that."
So in a way, East Asians don't reveal their intention to the media to avoid attention and pressure and too much hype. They will only tell everyone when they're 100% sure of their plan. Even if they're 90% sure they might not tell you.

This is why some Chinese and Japanese might have issue with people disclosing information about them even though some people might think it's just harmless. I'm saying this and hope that you will understand the difference. I'm not sure this post is even coherent, some Westerners might find it weird and that we are too sensitive.

In short, if you see that some fans showing their disapproval of Javi's words that Yuzuru might do 4 quad in LP, they have their view and it's hard to change their view. But we all know Javi didn't have bad intention when he said that. He was just talking casually there.

Last but not least: thank you xibsuarz for the translation, it must have taken a lot of time and effort.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thanks xib, you're a treasure! But, hey, did we not discuss this possibility (4 quads in FS) in the spring after the worlds? Like adding a new quad type into the FS (more likely than SP which can only have two quads anyway) makes sense only if you replace one the triples with it which means at this moment 4 quads. And Javi talked about the third different quad at TSL interview?

e

You're welcome eppen! It's always a pleasure to be able to help with translations (since everyone provides so many links!) I think we did talk about a 4th quad for a while, but as Javi had said that he wasn't seriously thinking about having another one, I don't think we elaborated too much on it. Now, he seems to be open to the possibility of doing it later in the season.

Last but not least: thank you xibsuarz for the translation, it must have taken a lot of time and effort.

You're very welcome, Meioma and Arriba627 :yes:

Last edited:

Sol

Rinkside
I'd say many Chinese and some Japanese fans prefer that Yuzuru himself talk about his intention for the new season, not his training mates or his coaches.
Some of them might act quite negatively as they think Yuzuru's intention of doing 4 quads in the free skate should not be disclosed by anyone else but Yuzuru himself.
A girl on Facebook group uploaded a video of Yuzuru doing 4lo and some people think it's against his privacy etc.
I know Javi didn't have any bad intention at all when he mentioned that "Yuzuru might put 4 quads in LP". Frankly it's not such a big surprise. Skating world always expect that Yuzuru will upgrade his tech each new season anyway.

However, looking at it from East Asian's view, I have to say I understand why some people have opposite ideas. As East Asian culture is vastly different from Western. There are many things Western people don't think it's an issue but East Asians might find it quite troublesome.

In our societies, expectation on the famous individuals can be crazily huge. If there is any information that is leaked, media will jump in and spread it all over the place and make it headline for weeks. Sometimes they shove on you bigger expectation than your ability can handle. There is this Korean rhythmic gymnastic girl, she is really good but not the best and never won gold at WC, but going into Rio she had to suffer huge expectation from her country to win against other much stronger girls, in the end she placed 4th (and she did really great, just that others were better). Some people in her country attacked her for not bringing home gold which even at her best she could never get it if other girls were clean. The girl said those attacks made her want to quit like a dozen times a day. I have to say this kind of expectation can ruin you and drive you crazy.

So that's why sometimes Asians are more secretive and Western people don't see why. We might think that "oh please, he just said Yuzuru might do 4 quads, it's no big deal. Yuzuru will do it anyway". But some East Asians might think that: "So the media will hype all over the place that Yuzuru will do 4 quads, they will tell everyone that he has the hardest layout. But what if practice isn't good as plan and in competition he doesn't do that layout, the media will attack him and call him coward to not do this and that."
So in a way, East Asians don't reveal their intention to the media to avoid attention and pressure and too much hype. They will only tell everyone when they're 100% sure of their plan. Even if they're 90% sure they might not tell you.

This is why some Chinese and Japanese might have issue with people disclosing information about them even though some people might think it's just harmless. I'm saying this and hope that you will understand the difference. I'm not sure this post is even coherent, some Westerners might find it weird and that we are too sensitive.

In short, if you see that some fans showing their disapproval of Javi's words that Yuzuru might do 4 quad in LP, they have their view and it's hard to change their view. But we all know Javi didn't have bad intention when he said that. He was just talking casually there.

Thanks for the explanation, after reading the interview i was so confused trying to find what could upset those Yuzuru fans. I think Javi just thought about the 4 quads being a public thing that everybody is talking that Yuzuru may do, not like a private secret information from being training mates that nobody else knew yet. Im sure he already knows a bit about how japanese media works because of Miki and wont do talk about it if he thought it was a secret, also this interview its like very informal and for some spanish fans in a forum, not the press or anything.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Thanks for the explanation, after reading the interview i was so confused trying to find what could upset those Yuzuru fans. I think Javi just thought about the 4 quads being a public thing that everybody is talking that Yuzuru may do, not like a private secret information from being training mates that nobody else knew yet. Im sure he already knows a bit about how japanese media works because of Miki and wont do talk about it if he thought it was a secret, also this interview its like very informal and for some spanish fans in a forum, not the press or anything.

I don't get it either, perhaps they thought the public would take it more serious if the info about 4 quads program came from Hanyu's rink-mate/main ravel:scratch2:

Anyway, thank you so much, xibsuarz, for taking your time to do the translation, it is a long interview but very worth reading, since most of the questions were those I would be keen to ask Javi if I have the chance :biggrin:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've always thought Javi has decided to retire after Olympics, but it looks like he did not yet. Good! :hap10:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
'Twas a good read in English also! Thanks again, Xibsuarz for the effort :luv17:

Well, it'll be interesting to see how the strategies (whatever they will be!) for the programs work out in the end. A new quad will be a big risk, but so might also be resorting to the old and familiar...

Still pleased to know that there will be a young Elvis in the building instead of the later version of him and that hip action is being rehearsed - although he should also do the excercises to keep the injury issues at bay... Btw, this is really the Elvis season - an SP in the junior GP today with the 70's Elvis clothes but earlier music.

e

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
'Twas a good read in English also! Thanks again, Xibsuarz for the effort :luv17:

Well, it'll be interesting to see how the strategies (whatever they will be!) for the programs work out in the end. A new quad will be a big risk, but so might also be resorting to the old and familiar...

Still pleased to know that there will be a young Elvis in the building instead of the later version of him and that hip action is being rehearsed - although he should also do the excercises to keep the injury issues at bay... Btw, this is really the Elvis season - an SP in the junior GP today with the 70's Elvis clothes but earlier music.

e

I'm very excited about the Elvis program. I thoroughly enjoyed Yulia Lipnitskaya's Elvis program last year. And Javi is such a pro with the program's interpretation. Should be really fun! :clap:

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Javi should do a Prince Medley. I wonder if his estate would allow that. It is amazing now that he is gone all these performances are on YouTube. Such an amazing musician. I love the Orser boys and Shoma. They really are terrific.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I think Javi should do a Prince Medley. I wonder if his estate would allow that. It is amazing now that he is gone all these performances are on YouTube. Such an amazing musician. I love the Orser boys and Shoma. They really are terrific.

I would prefer a David Bowie tribute myself, but I think Javi could almost get away with doing sth like "Let's Go Crazy". Prince has been used in FS (The Question of U) before, so maybe there would be no problem with getting rights? I suspect that there would be some problems with the lyrical contents, though :devil: (I am trying to imagine how particularly Prince's earlier stuff would translate into skating programs - not necessarily wholesome family viewing...)

And look!: Javi has finally dusted his phone - https://twitter.com/javierfernandez/status/768880343516577792 (v. cool photo; plus can't get over that "ilusion" in Spanish means sth positive, hope and excitement unlike in many other languages!)

e

kamato93

Spectator
JF: David had an Elvis song recorder and he made a friend of his listen to it a few years ago and he asked “Who does it remind you of?” and she said “That’s Javi.”

I'm intrigued. Which Elvis's song do David and that friend of his think it's Javi?

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I guess we have to wait patiently to get to see and hear - Japan Open...

Alas, Javi#s appearance in "Eso lo hago yo" from last night: http://www.lasexta.com/programas/es...ustrada_2016082857c3429e0cf29c8e1d872bfb.html (Hope this works, seems not be geo-blocked!)

I hope they paid him at least something (preferrably a lot) to do that... The pupil, Juan Carlos, was eliminated after this perfromance (skating is tough!). And after the promises of "Early Elvis" style make me even happier!

e

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many of the faster songs are really suitable for Javi, and I can see a slower section as "Can't Help Falling in Love With You". Now I'm really intrigued as to what the songs will be! :drama::luv17:

kamato93

Spectator
Now I'm really intrigued as to what the songs will be! :drama::luv17:

Guessing can be fun.

What do you think about these songs (obviuosly, we don´t know how true Javier is):

1956 Treat Me Nice:

When I walk through that door
Baby be polite
You're gonna make me sore
If you don't greet me right
Don't you ever kiss me once, kiss me twice
Treat me nice

Two kiss as a greeting is soooo Spanish...:laugh:

1962 Follow That Dream:

Follow that dream, I gotta follow that dream
Keep a-movin, move along, keep a moving
I've got to follow that dream wherever that dream may lead