Javier Fernandez | Page 121 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The message seems to be clear: let's not really think about skating yet...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKcYe-FBUjZ/?taken-by=javierfernandezskater

But I decided to add this on what I did for fun yesterday. There seem to be a couple of different databases on skating results available, some with quite good content, some behind a paywall, and I went to look at what can be done with this: http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php It's free and relatively nimble, although searches in PCS do not seem to be possible. What I did was that I looked at Javi's current elements and how he rates among his peers. The db gives you listings of the results for each element, BV, position in program, GOEs descending from the best results.

In the jumps, Hanyu is the undeniable 4T/4T combo and 3A/3A combo king (Javi is nr. 5 in 4T, nr. 10 in 3A, nr. 30 and below with 3A+2T), but Javi has 4S and 4S combo as well as 3Lo to his name equally clearly. And also the fairly rare 3F+1Lo+3S combo. With 3Lz and combos, similar results as with toeloops and axels.

The spins, then, show a different story. Javi's FUSp and CSSp are good, particularly the FUSp (respectively top 10 and 20 stuff), but the CCoSp3 and FCCoSp3 only very so and so (results in the top 200 or below).

What surprised me most, were the steps (StSq) where Javi and Chan are the current kings, Hanyu's last very good StSq seems to be from 2013... However, Hanyu is the ChSq king with most very high or perfect positive GOEs (Javi top 15 only).

Then if you look at the page for each skater (http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=379), at the bottom you get graphs for career results for SP and FS showing the total and also TES and PCS (only until end of 2015, though). There you can see Javi's technical development and how it has advanced in what seems almost like stages - there is a clear step up (in both TES and PCS) when he started with Orser and then a plateau for a couple of years until he hit the next level in 2013. This was a bit different from eg Hanyu and Chan who both reached a high level earlier in their careers, but have had steeper up and down variation during the seasons since. (Comparison here is slightly harder because the scales are different for Hanyu/Javi and Chan.)

There are skating fans who think that Javi's PCS are too high, but that graph seems to be fairly similar to each current top skater in both SP and FS, a fairly steady upward trend which varies very little even when the TES is very low... Javi started maybe with the lowest scores, but has worked his way up. Also, Chan's early PCS scores in SP were quite low and up and down a lot.

The last bar graph appears to be the numbers and consistency in jumps, ie, positive/negative GOE. Could be better, especially compared to Hanyu's rather high success rates...

E

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the statistics, really interesting!!! Yes, still over 2 weeks to wait, I try to be patient, although it is really difficult...:)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I turn my back for a couple of seconds (sometimes work makes it difficult to engage in hobbies :biggrin:) and all this cool stuff emerges!

Spanish TV comes to Toronto to see him apparently: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKmCSoOhJNB/?taken-by=javierfernandezskater

Endorsing Javier Raya's crowdfunding project: https://twitter.com/skateraya/status/779046581748142080?lang=fi

So, we are still waiting for PJ Kwong and Icenetwork interviews to come out, maybe after/around Japan Open?

e

Oh there were interviews? Well, I would think that they would release it around the time of the GP, since JO isn't even technically and ISU sanctioned event :palmf: but well, I little more than a week and we'll see that Elvis FS! I hope there is a stream somewhere, last year I couldn't find anything live, just the stream that played in the afternoon after the competition :(

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't wait to see the Elvis FS. He's such a class act. I love him! For some reason I just HAD to watch his Worlds FS yesterday and relive the excitement all over again. Hope he does well at the Japan Open!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Can't wait to see the Elvis FS. He's such a class act. I love him! For some reason I just HAD to watch his Worlds FS yesterday and relive the excitement all over again. Hope he does well at the Japan Open!

I have to admit that since the Worlds I have been watching it at least a couple of times every week... It is great to listen to various commentators and hear how they almost all are really excited about it.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to admit that since the Worlds I have been watching it at least a couple of times every week... It is great to listen to various commentators and hear how they almost all are really excited about it.

I realized that I wasn't watching Javi's SP (or Shoma or Yuzu's FS from Worlds either), and I finally realized that I didn't want to see any of them falling!!! I just wanted to relive all the positive stuff! Each time I watch Javi's FS, I am struck by how much the audience was behind him and cheering (me included!). I think he even remarked on how the audience supported him so much and now he will have Boston in his heart. What wonderful memories!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
That was such a nice interview! Thanks for sharing it eppen It's always nice to listen about stuff like how close he is with his family regardless of his age :yes:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It sounded like Javi had a very solid skate, even though he didn't win. I can't wait to see him as Elvis!
4T 4S3T 3A2T / 4S 2A 3Lz 3F1Lo2S 3LoSO

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It sounded like Javi had a very solid skate, even though he didn't win. I can't wait to see him as Elvis!
4T 4S3T 3A2T / 4S 2A 3Lz 3F1Lo2S 3LoSO

The suspense is killing me! :drama: I just HAVE to see the Elvis program!