Javier Fernandez | Page 131 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
One from the banquet with one more at the same site - looking quite good in a suit, too: http://dolceflute.gallery.ru/watch?ph=PG2-gN2ZT

I sometimes do wonder if the commentators are as clueless as they sound or are they just trying to create excitement for the viewers who cannot count or are otherwise not so aware of what's going on really?

Has anyone found a vid of the victory ceremony? I have found only of the the ladies so far :(

I am getting warmer towards Elvis; Fever is my fave section - the BESP female commentator quite aptly said that he has turned a glance into a choreographic element and she must have been thinking of the one at the beginning of that part! I like the new entries to jumps, particularly the one to the 3F-1Lo-3S. Ok, and the new one to the 3 Lo is not half bad either :laugh:

I particularly like the way they are using a variety of steps/edges with spread legs to evoke Elvis's favourite stances (like here for example http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au...s/56/1956-june-5-milton-berle-show-elvis3.jpg). It means quite a lot of two-footed skating, I guess, but as a stylistic choice it's very good. And the upper body and arms are also in many instances a good reflection of Elvis's moves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0Rz-uP4Mk to Jailhouse Rock), but there is still some ways to go with the hip action...

e

evergreen

On the Ice
One from the banquet with one more at the same site - looking quite good in a suit, too: http://dolceflute.gallery.ru/watch?ph=PG2-gN2ZT

he may get a new sponsor because of this :laugh:

Has anyone found a vid of the victory ceremony? I have found only of the the ladies so far :(

No, I have been searching the video clip since yesterday :( the medals were awarded prior to the gala performance.

I am getting warmer towards Elvis; Fever is my fave section - the BESP female commentator quite aptly said that he has turned a glance into a choreographic element and she must have been thinking of the one at the beginning of that part! I like the new entries to jumps, particularly the one to the 3F-1Lo-3S. Ok, and the new one to the 3 Lo is not half bad either :laugh:

but there is still some ways to go with the hip action...

Fever part is also my favorite-agreed he needs to work on his hip thrust :laugh: & SPIN! he cannot afford Level 2 spins at GPF & Worlds.

I could tell he pushed himself towards the end but obviously he was exhausted; as the seasons goes by, he may be able to give some extra Elvis essence to Jailhouse Rock section.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice

As much as I like Javi, I have to say that I prefer real suspenders over fake suspenders (? I suppose that's what they are? lol) :laugh:

In the CBC version of the FS (thanks evergreen for posting the link!) they mention how in the past early in the season Javi would be exhausted near the end of his FS but now he is better. I was thinking to myself that you can still see that Javi was running out of breath near the end of the program here. But compare to a couple of years ago, I think they do have a point. Although Javi still returns to training quite late after his summer break and although he will likely always be a late season skater (which I think he should be), it does seem that in the past two years his early season performances are becoming more coherent and he in general appears more composed.

There are still a lot of things that can be improved and although I am not a huge fan of his FS right now (but then again this time last year I did not like Guys and Dolls either), I fully expect this Elvis program to become much better and win me over later this season, like Guys and Dolls finally did last season;)

Nikolaj Sorensen posted this photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMe5DQXhOGk/
And I guess Javi has left Moscow: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfCSdLBkCW/

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
As much as I like Javi, I have to say that I prefer real suspenders over fake suspenders (? I suppose that's what they are? lol) :laugh:

fake or not, Javi looks hot in this black outfit but I am not sure it fits the theme very well, TBH, the old one gives the program more authentic touch.

I was thinking to myself that you can still see that Javi was running out of breath near the end of the program here. But compare to a couple of years ago, I think they do have a point. Although Javi still returns to training quite late after his summer break and although he will likely always be a late season skater (which I think he should be), it does seem that in the past two years his early season performances are becoming more coherent and he in general appears more composed.

Yes, his stamina & endurance has improved season by season, despite that he told the media many times this season he is one of the oldest male free-style skaters. I am also pleased that he was able to land all the 3 quads of the first two outings of his free skate. Now he really needs to work on the SP and land quad combo & quad consistently. I have a feeling by 18' Olympics, a 2-quad & 1 3Axel SP will be critical to take the leading position heading to FS, no one can afford to pop one quad anymore.

Another photo of Morozov-school mates
http://fuckyeahjavierfernandez.tumblr.com/image/148413277172

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
fake or not, Javi looks hot in this black outfit but I am not sure it fits the theme very well, TBH, the old one give the program more authentic touch.

Yes, I also think the old costume makes more sense. Can Javi competes with the old costume but without the goatee?:laugh: (One can dream, right?;))

Yes, his stamina & endurance has improved season by season, despite that he told the media many times this season he is one of the oldest male free-style skater. I am also pleased that he was able to land all the 3 quads of the first two outings of his free skate. Now he really needs to work on the SP and land quad combo & quad consistently. I have a feeling by 18' Olympics, a 2-quad & 1 3Axel SP will be critical to take the leading position heading to FS, no one can afford to pop one quad anymore.

I agree that it will be very important to land the quads in SP. (And if others are doing 4F and/or 4Lz, he also needs to skate very well if he wants to offset the difference in BV.)
For now, though, I just wish we can see Malaguena clean in competition, in whatever costume and with or without the goatee! :laugh:

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Yes, I also think the old costume makes more sense. Can Javi competes with the old costume but without the goatee?:laugh: (One can dream, right?;))

For now, though, I just with we can see Malaguena clean in competition, in whatever costume and with or without the goatee! :laugh:

May our wish come true this weekend in Paris; let's see how Javi will deal with this back-to-back competition, it is an awful ordeal but I trust he and his team figure out some way to meet the challenge.

honghe

On the Ice

evergreen

On the Ice
They were so young! And I am glad that Javi now has better haircut :laugh:

Before he became an adopted Canadian in late 2011, Javi's hair style was horrible :eek:

To which Javi answered "yeah" :agree:
I love how they always figure out a way to keep things positive. :luv17: And I must say that Team Brian has also helped Javi to be well prepared mentally, too.

Brian did not say much to his student, but every word works; what a brilliant coach he is; love the big hug he gave Javi after his FS, and "I'm so proud of you" the best compliment one can expect from his coach.

Javi can be nominated as the ambassador of Cup of Russia
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMgoybfhvSo/?taken-by=yvonnefin

Javi wearing glasses
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMe5GgWjJCL/?tagged=rostelecomcup

PJ Kwong & Kurt Browning-review of COR 2016
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1341947789156988&id=160862723932173

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I like the new Malagueña costume, it simple but elegant also. Besides, just my guess, but it may be better for jumps than the old costume?

Yes, he has to watch Elvis more to get those hip moves more accurate....

Eppen, I get the impression that some commentators just let idiotic statements come out of their mouths to keep things more exciting for the audience?

evergreen

On the Ice

Ha, these two headed to Paris right after COR, smart :agree: it seems that both of them are in good mood and no more black cycles under Javi's eyes :laugh:

Wish this year's competition can be hold successfully, but I guess the security must be tight.

Jackie Wong's Preview of Trophee de France (men)

Keep Since I'm not feeling very well and need to see pretty things... can we take a moment to appreciate Javi's eyelashes?
http://imgur.com/a/iW2OD
(I hope it moves...)

it moves :biggrin: we can all appreciate his long, luscious lashes:luv17:

Hope you get well soon, honghe

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
If I understand Brian's words in this interview correctly, Brian did discuss with Javi about adding a 4 loop in his FS but the latter was not interested? Anyway, the skater knows his physical condition and shall be able to choose to do whatever suits him the best.

Orser's other top pupil, Javier Fernández, is 25 and at a different stage of his career. The Spanish world champion can do a quad loop, Orser said, but prefers to stick with quad toe and salchow, and work on his choreography and spins.

"Javi is happy to see the other guys do the flips and the loops, and he'll just say, 'I'm sticking with what I do well,'" Orser said. "That's his strategy. I know he can do quad loop, and I've talked to him about it, and he's just not that into it.
[UNQUOTE]
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/10/28/207396238

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Thanks, guys! I'm feeling much better after some rest.

As for the 4loop, Javi got this jump quite a few years ago. And IIRC they talked about the possibility of using it back in 2013 or something, but Javi wasn't that into it even back then. (Which I guess was understandable given how often he used to pop his jumps.)
And I guess it's also understandable now. I mean, less than a year ago Javi was doing a 3T as one of his solo jumps. Now it seems almost unimaginable. I'm sure Javi himself knows this. And if he decides to not add a new quad for now, well, there's nothing wrong with being reasonably careful.

I see in the article that Patrick might want to try add a quad flip. If Patrick can do a clean 4 quad FS, IMHO he should once again be the one everyone else tries to beat.
Things are changing so fast right now, and maybe at some point Javi will have to respond by adding difficulty to his program. For now though I think it's perfectly OK for Javi to keep a 3 quad FS and as Brian said, work on choreography and spins (which do need some work on ;) )

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It depends also on how the guys with 3(+) quads are doing in general - Shoma is getting closer to actually managing his arsenal, I would not be surprised if Hanyu comes out with a better performance in NHK, etc. Javi was also talking about 3+3+3 combos which would heighten the BV.

A fluff piece from Mae Meite, Vanessa and Javi on Paris: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMjAWAqA09_/?taken-by=mae_meite

He will be in the first practice group on Thursdays sessions. Unfortunately the practice is closed to public in Paris, hopefully there will be more official reports than in Moscow...

e

evergreen

On the Ice
Thanks, guys! I'm feeling much better after some rest.

I am glad that you are feeling better; it is cold season now and wish everyone here take care & keep warm:biggrin:

As for the 4loop, Javi got this jump quite a few years ago. And IIRC they talked about the possibility of using it back in 2013 or something, but Javi wasn't that into it even back then. (Which I guess was understandable given how often he used to pop his jumps.)

Yes, Brian did indicate that Javi may add in a 4-loop in his 13-14 season. Actually, among the top-tier male skaters, Javi is the first one doing a 3-quad FS. He did not fully master it until 3 or 4 seasons later.

I witnessed that Javi landed a 4 loop in the limelight this summer, remember? I guess that Brian wants to remind Javi keeping this jump in his back pocket in case it is needed. A skater may be able to land a difficult jump such as 4 loop in practice, it is totally different game to integrate the jump into a program and execute it consistently. It not only takes substantial training to get used to the layout, it is also very physically demanding. Javi knows how to save his body by training in a smart way.

I see in the article that Patrick might want to try add a quad flip. If Patrick can do a clean 4 quad FS, IMHO he should once again be the one everyone else tries to beat.
Things are changing so fast right now, and maybe at some point Javi will have to respond by adding difficulty to his program. For now though I think it's perfectly OK for Javi to keep a 3 quad FS and as Brian said, work on choreography and spins (which do need some work on ;) )

Patrick is adding a 3rd quad to his FS, a quad sal; he made it clear that no way in his life he could do a 4-quad program. He had his quad sal landed back in 2010-11, but had never put into his program as he did not need to. He fully rotated his quad sal in SCI, but took a fall; the fall and the third quad in the later program absorbed so much energy and he popped his 3 lutz & 3 flip. I look forward to seeing whether Patrick can master a 3-quad FS eventually, he is capable of doing so.

As to Uno, the BV of his FS is higher than Javi's 3-quad FS, because of Uno's quad flip and 3 difficult jump combos in the 2nd half of the program, higher risks come with the higher points, he missed his two money-making jump combos in the Rostelecom Cup last weekend. Still, this kid was amazing; but the landings of his jumps are scary, as David Pelletier worried that his knees are likely to give up within 5 years.

Last edited: