Javier Fernandez | Page 133 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Have a lot of fun eppen! Please cheer a lot for Javi on behalf of all of us! :yahoo:
Wishing the best for him here, again, he doesn't need to be perfect to win, he is already in great shape and it's not his peak yet, I hope he can have a good competition in France. I was about to say that perhaps he could relax afterwards but it seems like Brian will leave him with some work to do while he's away :laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
Thanks very much, eppen & bondsfan for sharing the links relating to Javi :)

I am listening Icetalk Ep.5 where Tanith gave great compliment to Javi; she said that after watching a video of Javi's performance of "the mission" back to 2008 when he still struggled with basic skating skills, she was in awe of the tremendous improvement Javi has made over years of hard work.

I am glad that the back-to-back competitions gave Javi an opportunity to spend almost two weeks with Brian Orser and have his full attention :luv17:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Hello from Paris!

The arena wifi seems to be working.... i've never sat this close to the ice (2nd row!) PLUS seems that am right above the skaters exit... pairs are warming up.

Loved brian's interview - let's hope the new strategy will work!

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Hello from Paris!

The arena wifi seems to be working.... i've never sat this close to the ice (2nd row!) PLUS seems that am right above the skaters exit... pairs are warming up.

Loved brian's interview - let's hope the new strategy will work!

E

Super! eppen, It's so good to hear from you! I am so pleased that you have a front-row seat which may be close enough seeing Javi's flirty expression in his Elvis FS. :luv17: Enjoy the competition and wish Javi good luck tonight :2thumbs:

Brian is such a brilliant coach to manage TCC skating school, while nurturing two top skaters in the men's field as well as a brunch of elite skaters.

evergreen

On the Ice
oh, Javi, back-to-back competition, uncomfortable placement 1st after warm-up to skate, a fall, but 96.57 is not bad at all, good recovery & efforts to sell the program, plus no goatee for the pleasure of the fans like honghe

Wish you have a good free skate tomorrow:luv17:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Before my battery dies... So, that new strategy almost killed me :-D the warm up was ok until that, he did a 3S, 3A and a so-so 4T Combo. Then brian's went ok let's go and they went back to the dressing room with some 2 min left... then they came back when the others left the ice and he went on. Tried to emulate a later start... but did not work. The fall was a disappointment, but to get the combo into the other quad was NOT bad... Curious as to what levels he will get.

It was utterly cool to follow brian-Javi interaction during the warm up - a few words after every jump pass, the famous lemon slices in a paper cup just before taking the ice. And when he came back, Javi's face said it all...

But 96+ with a fall! A slight disappointment and yet thrilling...

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Before my battery dies... So, that new strategy almost killed me :-D the warm up was ok until that, he did a 3S, 3A and a so-so 4T Combo. Then brian's went ok let's go and they went back to the dressing room with some 2 min left... then they came back when the others left the ice and he went on. Tried to emulate a later start... but did not work. The fall was a disappointment, but to get the combo into the other quad was NOT bad... Curious as to what levels he will get.

It was utterly cool to follow brian-Javi interaction during the warm up - a few words after every jump pass, the famous lemon slices in a paper cup just before taking the ice. And when he came back, Javi's face said it all...

But 96+ with a fall! A slight disappointment and yet thrilling...

E

Thank you so much for the live report, eppen, please forgive Javi this time since it is tough to do a back-to-back competition:biggrin: he will make up to you tomorrow:laugh: he will skate the last tomorrow:)

so the new strategy is to do 4 minutes warm up and 2 minutes dressing-room pep talk :scratch2: it didn't work:( but at least better than popping a quad and he was smart enough to do a 4 s 3 t combo later. I have to say it is a very difficult SP to do 2 quad, 1 in combo, as every move of Flamenco dance has to be precise and on tune. But he cannot afford to do mistake like this at GP Final.

As to the other elements, congratulations, all the spins and step sequence are level 4, Brian did help him to improve in these areas over the weekend:laugh:

lots of photo from this instagram including men press conference
https://www.instagram.com/julbka_/

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The 4S save of the combo speaks volumes of his confidence level at the moment... just wish it would cover the whole short!

But I forgot to mention The Eyelashes. He stood by the gate for a couple minutes waiting the intro and was at such an angle towards me that I saw mostly his left cheek and the lashes batting away. I think I have seen women with shorter false eyelashes. <3

E

honghe

On the Ice
oh, Javi, back-to-back competition, uncomfortable placement 1st after warm-up to skate, a fall, but 96.57 is not bad at all, good recovery & efforts to sell the program, plus no goatee for the pleasure of the fans like honghe

:laugh: Can we go on and assume that we have already bid the goatee goodbye? :laugh: No objection from me, at least;)

But I forgot to mention The Eyelashes. He stood by the gate for a couple minutes waiting the intro and was at such an angle towards me that I saw mostly his left cheek and the lashes batting away. I think I have seen women with shorter false eyelashes. <3

E

Haha are we now capitalizing the E in The Eyelashes?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I love it!
eppen, thank you so much for the reports! I hope Javi did not make you too nervous during the SP...
It's not perfect, but at least it showed that Javi was quite composed and put in a good fight. So kudos for that!

Javi and Brian: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMrlw5IhAZV/
Javi at press conference: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMroneUBHY4/

Hope Javi has some good rest and a great FS!

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I´m happy about the lack of goatee, too..., LOL.

Thanks so much for the reports!!! So great that Javier was able to continue really strongly after that fall. I hope he likes better to be the last to perform in the freeskate?

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I do not like the "shadow" too much, would have preferred the proper goatee. It looks a bit like he's just forgotten to shave in the morning.

The last spot is supposedly as tough as the first one? We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

I'm seated on the same row but slightly closer to the center today which is good because yesterday I had to reach a bit to see the right corner... not sitting on the judges side makes you also realize very clearly how the programs are made for the judges. you don't see most of the facial expressions which in some cases does take away a lot from the program...

Looking forward to Elvis!

E

evergreen

On the Ice
The last spot is supposedly as tough as the first one? We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

I'm seated on the same row but slightly closer to the center today which is good because yesterday I had to reach a bit to see the right corner... not sitting on the judges side makes you also realize very clearly how the programs are made for the judges. you don't see most of the facial expressions which in some cases does take away a lot from the program...

Looking forward to Elvis!

E
I don't mind goatee for SP, anyway, Javi started a new trend for male skaters since last season, goatee for SP, no-goatee for FS :laugh: but I prefer to a clean shave for his Elvis LP, since it is Elvis in his 20s who Javi wants to portray on ice;)

Javi skated his FS last at Rostelecom Cup last week, and he put down a brilliant performance :love: I believe in him.

I am happy for you, eppen, to have a better seat tonight, wish you enjoy the competitions:luv17:

BTW, how is the arena, it is warm or cold? GP competitions hold in France always have the most beautiful setting.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
the FS is not as good as the one he did last week, but good enough for him to walk away with the title, and qualification for GPF. He seems more relax here, but the performance is still there, despite of the fall of the 2nd 3 Axel, right into the wet patch:laugh: obviously, he was exhausted in the 2nd half of the program, haven't seen him popping a 3 jump for a long while.

Congratulation, Javi, for your 1st Trophee De France title :love:

liv

Record Breaker
Good for Javi. Not so great a performance but enough to get the win and punch a ticket to GPF. Not so easy to compete back to back weeks, but he did pretty well considering.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Exhausted... warm up was good - his usual set-up with 3Lo, 3Lz, 3Fcombo, 3A combo and ok quads. He looked relaxed and total fine. As you all saw, it was fine until the first 3A when he somehow made an extra step and got too close to the barrier and fell... his pants must have gotten wet... then about at the beginning of the steps, he looked at brian and grimaced... It was apparently an up hill battery to get to the end!

He came to watch the ladies last group with some of the other guys AND say next to Cortney Mansur... very friendly looking...

Next medals!

E

honghe

On the Ice
Again, thank you so much, eppen, for the report!

then about at the beginning of the steps, he looked at brian and grimaced...
I just tried to imagine that after reading your post:laugh:
Javi did not seem as energetic as he was last Saturday. Back to back GP events must not have been easy. Still he fought through it and had a good enough performance to win:thumbsup:

Was the puddle as glaring in the arena as it seemed to us?

Congratulation, Javi, for your 1st Trophee De France title :love:

Can't believe that the last time he competed at TEB/TDF was seven years ago! Much better result this time:clapper: (He was 11th in 2009)
Congratulations for another GP win and wish Javi good rest and also good improvements in the weeks between now and GPF!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Congrats Javi on his win! And given hus very strong score at COR, it's very likely he will make the GPF in first place! He wasn't perfect today, but he didn't need to, he did enough to win :yes: I hope he can pace himself these 3 weeks to be in great shape for the GPF :cheer: