Javier Fernandez | Page 134 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
Exhausted... warm up was good - his usual set-up with 3Lo, 3Lz, 3Fcombo, 3A combo and ok quads. He looked relaxed and total fine. As you all saw, it was fine until the first 3A when he somehow made an extra step and got too close to the barrier and fell... his pants must have gotten wet... then about at the beginning of the steps, he looked at brian and grimaced... It was apparently an up hill battery to get to the end!

He came to watch the ladies last group with some of the other guys AND say next to Cortney Mansur... very friendly looking...

Next medals!

E
Thank you so much, eppen, for the report of Day 2. You must be very tired too, sitting in an arena for a long day.

Here is a short clip where Javi, Courtney, Brian & Denis sat together, what a bunch of good-looking people and very friendly indeed.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMudmmcAQs_/?tagged=gpfrance

Javi & Adam, two proud medalists & old rink mates
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMuO-nWhMrl/?tagged=gpfrance

In the press conference, Adam said that it took him 27 years and 1 day to land his 1st quad; he said that he used to train with Javi at the same rink, Javi was 17 or 18, doing tons of quads. Adam then told the press that he does not like spins, but he did in competition as he was told he was good at them. Then Javi jumps in, said" No one likes spins":laugh: I guess having received level 2 & 3 for his spins last week, Brian must make him practice a lot of spins in between:laugh2:

Javi told the press that he will host a big show in Spain on 29th Dec. Does anyone now the details?

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The GP set is wonderfully short compared to major competitions with 25 to 30 skaters, but the breaks were barely long enough for queuing for toilet etc. Plus every discipline in one afternoon and evening...

The rink was warm even for viewers and the melting ice in the corner shows just how. I noticed it quite late because it was in my blind side on the right - o sat on the left side all the time. Quite a few skaters fell on that side and we wondered whether the ice was soft in that whole area...

The medal ceremony was lovely although the virtual flags were a big no-no for me... Javi hugged everyone and bent down for the tiny referee lady <3

Today the gala!

E

evergreen

On the Ice
The rink was warm even for viewers and the melting ice in the corner shows just how. I noticed it quite late because it was in my blind side on the right - o sat on the left side all the time. Quite a few skaters fell on that side and we wondered whether the ice was soft in that whole area...

Javi said he lost the balance on the take off for the 3 axel, he said that he made similar mistake in practice and sure would go back to do more practice. I am wondering whether it had something with the soften ice in that end.

The medal ceremony was lovely although the virtual flags were a big no-no for me... Javi hugged everyone and bent down for the tiny referee lady <

The digital flag looks ridiculous funny; it should not be conducted in this way:noshake:; these skaters work their butt off for this ceremonial moment to contribute & solute to their countries.

Enjoy the gala, Eppen, and thank you for the additional notes on the event.

Did you notice that only male medalists were not presented with flower? This was so odd:eek:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very glad for Javi´s second win in GP France!!! Not so good in freeskate as in Russia a week ago, but that was to be expected. I sure hope that for the Olympic season he understands to keep his schedule more reasonable and leaves out all kinds of extras. After the Olympics he is free to do those.

The whole victory ceremony / men Trophee de France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5eClDi2xc

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I´m very glad for Javi´s second win in GP France!!! Not so good in freeskate as in Russia a week ago, but that was to be expected. I sure hope that for the Olympic season he understands to keep his schedule more reasonable and leaves out all kinds of extras. After the Olympics he is free to do those.

Two Steps From Hell - yay!:)

Also, of course, congrats to Javi for his second win & making the GPF! (not that either was unexpected, of course... :))

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congrats Javi on the win! It wasn't perfect, but who wants to peak in November, anyway? ;)

liv

Record Breaker
I find that I like his program already in november this year, when last year I did not like guys and dolls at all until the world champioships. Either he is more comfortable with this one because it is elvis and that makes it more fun to skate to... or it is me just enjoying elvis, lol. Not sure! And I think landing his jumps better helps too.

honghe

On the Ice
The medal ceremony was lovely although the virtual flags were a big no-no for me... Javi hugged everyone and bent down for the tiny referee lady <3
The digital flag looks ridiculous funny

The digital flags did look somewhat weird but I always love overlay shots of Javi with the Spanish flag at award ceremonies, even with digital flags;)
Oh and The Eyelashes look awesome in the video:laugh:

I find that I like his program already in november this year, when last year I did not like guys and dolls at all until the world champioships. Either he is more comfortable with this one because it is elvis and that makes it more fun to skate to... or it is me just enjoying elvis, lol. Not sure! And I think landing his jumps better helps too.

I am still not a huge fan of the new FS right now, but then like you, last season I did not really like Guys and Dolls until Worlds (now it's one of my favorites:luv17:) So I hope the new FS will get better and better as the season progresses (I'm sure it will.)

Misha posted this funny picture of Javi being goofy (at gala rehearsal, I suppose): https://www.instagram.com/p/BMv75l7hLxJ/ :laugh: Love the caption:laugh:
(And scroll down for their exchange under the post :laugh2:)

Anna posted this lovely picture from last week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvuUz8D3Ei/
(Javi said thanks in the comments, but Anna demanded him to speak Russian:laugh2: Which makes me wonder how many Russian words he knows/remembers:laugh: )

eppen, I hope you enjoy the gala!

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Oh and The Eyelashes look awesome in the video:laugh:

I am wondering whether the judge panel will give him +1 GOE simply for his eyelashes:laugh2:

I am still not a huge fan of the new FS right now, but then like you, last season I did not really like Guys and Dolls until Worlds (now it's one of my favorites:luv17:) So I hope the new FS will get better and better as the season progresses (I'm sure it will.)

I like this program a lot, but do notice some movement of choreography could be trimmed a little bit, i.e. the hip thrust and the jailhouse rock session, a little extra of Elvis' hip & leg shaking will do.

David Wilson gave Javi a lot of vintage style, from Perter Gunn to Guys an Dolls, and now Elvis, I wish he would not run out of idea by next season; British Euro Sport's Mark Hanretty suggested that Javi will keep this program for the next season.

Anna posted this lovely picture from last week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvuUz8D3Ei/
(Javi said thanks in the comments, but Anna demanded him to speak Russian:laugh2: Which makes me wonder how many Russian words he knows/remembers:laugh: )

Javi knows a little Russian but admitted in a fan meeting that it is a very difficult language to learn and the vocabulary he knows are very limited.

BTW, Anna is one of my favorite skaters in lady's field and I am thrilled for her victory last week. :love:

Last edited:

reneerose

Final Flight
I personally think Javi's exhibition skate is something Brian Orser would have skated in his competitive days. Seems an unlikely choice for Javi, but he does beautifully with it. The vocalist on the "Danny Boy" track is John McDermott (Canadian).

The "Elvis" free skate completely suits him, I so agree. Perfect perfect fit! He skated it much better at Rostelecom Cup, but glad he won TdF2016 with it here too.

BTW, are all the winners going to get actual medals later? The cardboard ones were so tacky looking. I have not seen an answer anywhere for this, only that maybe someone on the admin staff was late ordering REAL medals :laugh: And the digital flags were tacky as well....:scratch2:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I think there was a hinta somewhere that the programs this year were kept fairly similar in style to get a small breakfast before big time next year? Plus Javi said that they have already good ideas for next year, so...

For the gala I had a seat in the front row which was not ideal because of the railing, but I sat still very close to the exit to ice... I did not see much of Medvedeva because Javi was standing right below getting ready for his part shaking himself just a little bit most of the time :-D he was watching her though.

Then Danny Boy. I have kind of liked it on tv, but it was so much better live. It was simple, sweet, elegant...

E

evergreen

On the Ice
I personally think Javi's exhibition skate is something Brian Orser would have skated in his competitive days. Seems an unlikely choice for Javi, but he does beautifully with it. The vocalist on the "Danny Boy" track is John McDermott (Canadian).

The "Elvis" free skate complete suits him, I so agree. Perfect perfect fit! He skated it much better at Rostelecom Cup, but glad he won GPF2016 with it here too.

BTW, are all the winners going to get actual medals later? The cardboard ones were so tacky looking. I have not seen an answer anywhere for this, only that maybe someone on the admin staff was late ordering REAL medals :laugh: And the digital flags were tacky as well....:scratch2:

Javi chose "Danny Boy" because it is his coach's favorite song, it is not his normal style but he performs this exhibition program beautifully:luv17:

I guess the medals they presented at the victory ceremonies are the real one :laugh2: I am a little disappointed, no flower, no real flags. and they get cardboard medals, actually Javi received similar medals from kids when he visited the children hospital in Spain this past summer, only the latter are much larger:laugh:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvyftwhiuK/?taken-by=yvonnefin

reneerose

Final Flight
Javi chose "Danny Boy" because it is his coach's favorite song, it is not his normal style but he performs this exhibition program beautifully:luv17:

I guess the medals they presented at the victory ceremonies are the real one :laugh2: I am a little disappointed, no flower, no real flags. and they get cardboard medals, actually Javi received similar medals from kids when he visited the children hospital in Spain this past summer, only the latter are much larger:laugh:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvyftwhiuK/?taken-by=yvonnefin
Really, Brian Orser's favourite song? Thanks for that info. They must have run out of flowers. :laugh:

honghe

On the Ice
I think there was a hinta somewhere that the programs this year were kept fairly similar in style to get a small breakfast before big time next year? Plus Javi said that they have already good ideas for next year, so...

For the gala I had a seat in the front row which was not ideal because of the railing, but I sat still very close to the exit to ice... I did not see much of Medvedeva because Javi was standing right below getting ready for his part shaking himself just a little bit most of the time :-D he was watching her though.

Then Danny Boy. I have kind of liked it on tv, but it was so much better live. It was simple, sweet, elegant...

E

I have the same feeling regarding programs for next season. Whatever they decide to do, I am happy that they are thinking in advance. Hopefully they'll have the best programs for the Olympics.

Thank you for the report on the Gala, eppen. Sorry that Javi blocked your view before he went on ice... I hope he made it up for you with his performance;)

Really, Brian Orser's favourite song? Thanks for that info. They must have run out of flowers. :laugh:

To be precise, it was mentioned that it's one of the favorite songs of his coach. It wasn't specified whether it's Brian or Tracy or someone else, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's indeed Brian.

evergreen

On the Ice
I have the same feeling regarding programs for next season. Whatever they decide to do, I am happy that they are thinking in advance. Hopefully they'll have the best programs for the Olympics.

According to one of the articles of the most recent IFS magazine focusing on Javi, his team has selected SP music for next season. If they have already set eyes on SP, I assume the team will get his FS for 18' Olympic ready before the season starts.

Sorry that Javi blocked your view before he went on ice... I hope he made it up for you with his performance;)

I assume that with Javi' presence nearby, how could eppen watch other skater's skating, she must stare at him all the time when zhenya performed on ice :laugh:

eppen, thanks very much for the report of gala.

Yes, I agreed that the TV board cast could not display the ice coverage Javi's spread eagle covers and how much improvement he had made with his skating skills. Most importantly, watching his "Danny Boy" live, it was so captivating from the beginning to the end, he clearly felt the emotion of every beat and nuance of his music, in return, deep emotion & maximum energy was put into each slight choreographic move, every spin & jump. There is a fan-cam clip of his debut performance in Boston on youtube, which in my view, is better than the TV footage.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It's been some time since I last posted something about Javi's book, so here is some more new stuff:

Homesickness hit him hard and right after he moved to NJ, so it was hard for him to get to his training with a positive attitude.

Javi started training with the exercises he had learned in Spain, and Morozov corrected him on them. As Javi didn’t speak English, Morozov communicated with him through gestures, telling him to improve his posture. To do it, he tied Javier’s arms to a wooden stick (similar to a broom) in a way that resembled a cross. It was difficult because he couldn’t use his hands if he fell, but Morozov’s other students helped him up.

The training regime and being away from home made his situation difficult, but is parents were as always, a great pillar of support, even if it was a long distance. He recalls the students who were also with Morozov at the time: Chris and Cathy Reed, Valentina Marchei, Ivan Raghini, Sergei Voronov and Florent Amodio.

He had to learn about punctuality, order and discipline, since Morozov didn’t force them to do anything, but he was there the time that was necessary for the skaters who wanted his help. Once, he saw Javier just spacing out during training and he told him not to go the following day, it wasn’t as school, he shouldn’t have to go if he didn’t feel motivated to do it.
For a couple of days, he did skip training, because, although things were going well with his skating, and he had a good relationships with his teammates, it was still hard to be away from his family. When he won his first economic reward for making the top 20 at a competition, he used the money to buy a PS2, and so he played with it when he didn’t feel like going to training.

But, as we know, Morozov had/liked to move around a lot, and it was all at the expense of each skater. But they all obeyed. Then they had to move to Russia for good.

honghe

On the Ice
Many thanks, xibsuarz, for the summary! I didn't realize that Ivan Righini and Javi used to be rinkmates, too.

Poor Javi, living so far away from his family and having his arms tied to a wooden stick:eek:

Once, he saw Javier just spacing out during training and he told him not to go the following day, it wasn’t as school, he shouldn’t have to go if he didn’t feel motivated to do it.
I guess I understand where Morozov was coming from, and yes, what he told Javi makes sense, although in retrospect, a different approach would probably have worked better with Javi.

When he won his first economic reward for making the top 20 at a competition, he used the money to buy a PS2, and so he played with it when he didn’t feel like going to training.
:laugh2: Oh Javi, Javi... Was that how your love affair with video games started?:laugh:

BTW, Javi dancing with Gabriella at gala rehearsal: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMxDBmUA34Y/

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Many thanks, xibsuarz, for the summary! I didn't realize that Ivan Righini and Javi used to be rinkmates, too.

Thanks a lot, xibsuarz, for sharing Javi's story.

I know Ivan Righini trained with Morozov for a period of time when he represented RSF, but did not know Javi and he were rink mates either. It is interesting that he did not mention Miki Ando:p I think that Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Murakami were also in the team.

Poor Javi, living so far away from his family and having his harms tied to a wooden stick:eek:

He was just 17, being apart from his beloved parents and sister who adore him deeply, in an English-speaking country to be trained by a Russian coach, together with teammates from different countries, only one of them who speaks closest language to Spanish was an Italian girl, homesickness is inevitable.

I can imagine young Javi stroking around in the rink with his arms tied up to a cross on his back :laugh: it worked, before joining Morozov, Javi had terrible posture and wooden arms, his stroking, tbh, was not as good as his sister's.

I can also understand why Morozov's international students have special bond/friendship, in such circumstances where family members, relatives and home-town friends cannot be reached, they had to rely on each other.

I guess I understand where Morozov was coming from, and yes, what he told Javi makes sense, although in retrospect, a different approach would probably have worked better with Javi.

Morozov's style may fit with the skaters who are self-disciplined and have strong basic skating skills, i.e. Shizuka Arakawa, Miki Ando, Daisuke Takahashi, he can never be a babysitter for a developing skater, especially the skater himself does not have desire/ambition to be success.

Last edited: