Javier Fernandez | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

jimeonji

Final Flight
Happy birthday, Javi!!! :hb::hb::hb:
I hope he makes GPF this year (I doubt he won't) and at least medals, if not wins!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Super Javi happy birthday :yay: :party::hb::party2:
I really hope you have an amazing season and continue bringing smiles and happines to this sport.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I have always thought Javier's laid-back nature may have held him back from getting the results he wanted. Unlike Yuzuru whose ambition is like a fierce flame, Javier's to me is like a slow burn which at times needs stoking by Brian Orser. Well apparently training right beside Yuzuru and seeing at close hand his burning ambition has sparked something in Javier, perhaps the missing ingredient for him to finally contend for that top spot in the podium.

An excerpt from the translation by echotpe posted in the Yuzuru Hanyu fanfest thread:

"As a sponsor of ISU four Championships, Canon (Japan cameras giant) interviewed Javier Fernandez after Worlds on early April. Not surprisingly, he was asked some questions about his training mate - Yuzu.

Full article in Japanese: http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/in...andez02_1.html

Summary translation as following:
Q: And how about Yuzu?
J: His talent, hardworking and passion to skating are such outstanding, which encourage me. And his team also works hard in any ways. Yuzu always focuses on ice training, as it is reasonable to do so.

He does not change a bit even he got the Olympics gold medal. He didn’t become lazy, take excuses or become complacent. It’s a way I think a world champion should be.

When he came back to Toroto after Sochi Olympics, he gave me to wear his heavy medal. And then, I make my mind to aim the gold medal in PyeongChang Olympics 2018."

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, all skaters - as all people - are not made the same. I definitely agree that Javi's relaxed attitude no doubt has cost him, and that he could have done better had he... how shall I put it?... burned for it more? But still, he is who he is, and if he isn't dissatisfied with what he has achieved - and let's face it, most skaters would be quite pleased even with what he HAS done so far - that is what matters. But that said, I hope Yuzu's example inspires him to try harder, and become the skater we know he has the potential to be. Go Javi! :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
:laugh: Both Brian's and Javier's faces actually! Actually never really "got" the comments that Brian Orser and Javier resemble each other, but with this shot, now I am beginning (just) to see why....

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
"The guy who challenges the ice." Revealing article, though a bit dated, on Javier about his start, his struggles, and triumphs as a skater: http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/08/06/eps/1375791493_085464.html.

From the Google translation:

Javier started skating at age six, following his elder sister to the ice rink. He was compared to a "lizard" by his childhood friends because he "was always playing pranks, never stopped talking, making mischief ... can not sit still."

Persisted with his skating despite being told by his friends "to leave that to the girls." His mother would accompany him to the rink. Eventually chose skating over studies.

Moved to New Jersey at 17 to train with Nikolai Morozov, a decision supported by his parents. He rented a small apartment with no furniture. "Went to Ikea and bought a bed. It was night when he began to assemble and no electricity. Lit candles and assembl[ing] finished he realized that he had some pieces left over. He looked around, he could not help but feel the most alone [person] in the world..."

Feeling that he was not given due attention by his coach, Javier eventually moved to Toronto to train with Brian Orser and had to endure the Canadian winter where the temperature can reach as low as negative 17 degrees. His Toronto apartment has only one room with a bed. His housekeeping philosophy is to "not clean the house every day, but enough to open the door and not have difficulty finding the bed." Loves cooking though: "I learned as a child because I spent a lot of time with my mother watching and helping. I [cook] very good omelette or pasta or steaks."

In his apartment, he has a cat named Effie, a gift from his Canadian girlfriend Cortney. They first met in Latvia. He keeps in touch with his parents and sister in Spain via Skype, and they visit him once a year.

He described skating as an expensive sport: "Especially if you train outside Spain. I keep myself through scholarships, awards competitions and exhibitions I do around the world. The skates cost about 900 euros. In addition, you must send them to sharpen every so often and buy some plastic sheeting to protect them walking off the court. You have to buy clothing and pay the coach and choreographer and afford my living expenses (rent, food and transportation). The federation also helps me, but if I had to pay everything, at least ... need to have around 3,000 euros per month..."

In 2013, won the European championship for the first time despite delay in his arrival at Zagreb (the venue) because of snow and arriving before his luggage containing his skates.

Said he hopes to coach after he retires.

The article ends with a description of his exhibition at 2013 Worlds: "[H]e took off his pants and sweatshirt and became 'Superjavi.' He kissed his muscles and simulated flying with a red cape. He smiled and the audience clapped. ..1.73 high and 63 kilos in weight, fixed his eyes on everyone and anyone.... His energy was in the air and, before his antics, his supporters chanted effusively: 'Javi, Javi, Javi.' Because sometimes passion is a guy [who] skates on an ice rink."

The article made me appreciate Javier even more. The seeming light-heartedness conceal a strength and courage demanded of any pioneer as Javier is with regard to figure skating in his country, Spain.

In the article, Javier said he had not not yet decided whether he will still go on to compete in another Olympics (his third) in 2018. Now that he has already decided to do so, I hope, like his fellow European Carolina Kostner, he will be able to put all his skating demons behind him, skate to his potential, and finally make it to the Olympic podium and see his national flag raised.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder when Javi becomes a coach, will he will mimic his student's move off-ice just like Orser? That would be so fun to watch!:laugh:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I wonder when Javi becomes a coach, will he will mimic his student's move off-ice just like Orser? That would be so fun to watch!:laugh:

:laugh: That would be cool, although I hope Javier will also develop his own coaching "style." As it is, I have read comments to the effect that in his skating, Javier is following Brian Orser's footsteps a tad too closely. Some even said he is beginning to look like Brian Orser (the younger version of course).

This may be due to his having skated a Chaplin program, but Javier, specially with those soulful Spanish eyes, brings to my mind Robert Downey, Jr.

looks like someone had a really good time this weekend :biggrin:
https://twitter.com/javierfernandez
good for him! he deserves a time out

and as silly as it is, but this one just really made me laugh :laugh:

Thanks for sharing Pamina! First time for me to see Javier's Twitter page and lovely to see him and his girlfriend Cortney who is just about the right height (can lay her head against his chest and hear the beating of his heart).

I also get a laugh out of Alex and Javier's photo moments. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
:laugh: That would be cool, although I hope Javier will also develop his own coaching "style." As it is, I have read comments to the effect that in his skating, Javier is following Brian Orser's footsteps a tad too closely. Some even said he is beginning to look like Brian Orser (the younger version of course).

This may be due to his having skated a Chaplin program, but Javier, specially with those soulful Spanish eyes, brings to my mind Robert Downey, Jr.

Thanks for sharing Pamina! First time for me to see Javier's Twitter page and lovely to see him and his girlfriend Cortney who is just about the right height (can lay her head against his chest and hear the beating of his heart).

I also get a laugh out of Alex and Javier's photo moments. :)

Awwww! That's such a beautiful thought, Maria Victoria! Thank you! (Really, that is my type of romance... the old fashioned kind, that just makes me go all warm & fuzzy inside... )

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Awwww! That's such a beautiful thought, Maria Victoria! Thank you! (Really, that is my type of romance... the old fashioned kind, that just makes me go all warm & fuzzy inside... )

Ah, the world will be lost without romance! :) Welcome.

Update on Javier from this interview with Brian Orser (http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2014brianorser), posted in the Yuzuru thread: Javier already has his SP music picked out, but not yet that for his FP. Brian Orser in the same interview said he doesn't want Yuzuru to be stereotyped because he's too young for that (I agree), but I wonder if he's doing that with Javier. With the GPF in his home country, I really want Javier to do well and qualify for the GPF with a memorable and even for him, groundbreaking LP.

@makaihime: In answer to your query re the schedule of Javier's ice shows, I got this from ionap's post re Daisuke's shows in the Daisuke thread. I just include the ones with Javier:

Fantasy On Ice: Makuhari (June 6-7)
The rest of the cast: Yuzuru Hanyu, Tatsuki Machida, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Haruka Imai, Stephane Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Javier Fernandez, Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov, Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat
It seems like TV Asahi will broadcast it on June 15.

Fantasy On Ice: Toyama (July 5-6)
The rest of the cast: Yuzuru Hanyu, Akiko Suzuki, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Haruka Imai, Stephane Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Javier Fernandez, Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov, Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat, Nam Nguyen

Fantasy On Ice: Niigata (July 12-13)
The rest of the cast: Yuzuru Hanyu, Tatsuki Machida, Akiko Suzuki, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Haruka Imai, Stephane Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Javier Fernandez, Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov, Nathalie Pechalat & Fabian Bourzat

jimeonji

Final Flight
he's also going to be at Yuzuru's show, Together on Ice. I'd reference this tumblr post and just search for Javi's name for his complete schedule.
It seems he will also be at the Figure Skating Exhibition at Beppu and Dreams on Ice. Of course, some of the later shows have not announced their complete cast quite yet.