Akiko Suzuki | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki

skateflower

Match Penalty
She is special because she doesn't go for the same old same 'i am so pretty' lame choreography often used by female skaters. Her programs require constant energy throughtout. They are much more challenging than 95% of the programs used by the ladies.

They just showed her long program, so I got to see it again, and it's a complete delight. How splendid that she made it onto the podium this year. She is an asset to skating. Thank goodness she skates for a country where the sport is so popular, because whenever she retires (and I hope it's a long time from now!), she'll make a wonderful pro and show skater. Can you imagine how happy a creative choreographer would be to have Akiko to work with?

christinaskater

Medalist
She is such a joy to watch. Her LP was my favourite during Worlds. I would have marked her 1st. The artistry and technique is really beautiful. I do believe she has what it takes to be a World Champion so she should just give it a go.

I just love her overall improvement as each year comes. This year she had the triple toe-triple toe and polished all aspects of her skating especially with the spins.

She is a skater that reminds me of Michelle Kwan and how I love skating. People may get lost with counting points but Akiko does all of these things seamlessly and sells the programs from the depths of her soul. It is just an absolute honour witnessing greatness and beautiful skating from the heart.

I am thrilled to see more beautiful skates from her in the future and she really has all my respect and admiration.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love her, too!

She is one of the few skaters who can still demonstrate to remind us why we fall in love with figure skating, while coping with such demanding (and sometimes stupid) CoP rules.
I really want her to stay eligible until Sochi season!

Here is my hoping for Akiko:

Akiko, please do not forget there are so many people who root for you.
It is not something to do with points or placements. What we love about you is the joy we see in your skating and your love for skating and performing.

Two years seems long, especially to those who have a long career as eligible like you. There may be times you have a doubt in yourself, or there may be people who question you whether to continue or not.
On such a day, please remember what you told Daisuke one year ago when it seemed very hard for him to find the motivation to continue and struggled with it; 'I love Dai's skating. I still want to see you skate.'

I can assure you, Akiko, a lot of skating fans around the world will echo exactly the same:

"We just love Akiko's skating. We still want to see you skate!"

evangeline

Record Breaker
The federation support you mentioned above would explain it well. Leonova has more support from her federation (at least for now) than Suzuki does. Suzuki was never a favorite of JSF, and is merely a spare for when Asada, Ando or Murakami is absent or unreliable, just like Yukari Nakano was. That is why Murakami won Bronze while she missed the podium with suspiciously low scores at GPF last season.

This blog entry summarizes well.
http://morozombie.blogspot.jp/2010/12/tribute-to-number-threes-akiko-suzuki.html

This year's ladies singles result was the second last thing JSF wanted, only next to the podium with no Japanese lady. In the beginning of this season, Asada, Murakami and Ando (even thought she was not be competing) were chosen as Tokubetsu Kyokasensyu (Special Trainees, the highest rank of the trainees funded by JSF) while Suzuki was chosen as a Kyokasenshu A (the second highest rank) despite of her high ISU rank. Later she was promoted to a Special Trainee after she was assigned to two GPS events because JSF had no choice but to do so if they wanted to promote Imai.

Just wondering.....why doesn't the JSF want to promote Akiko? Do they think she's too old? Or does her coach not have enough pull within her federation?

I am so happy that Akiko is continuing onto Sochi, I would LOVE to see her on the podium there (a girl can dream....).

deedee1

Record Breaker
Just wondering.....why doesn't the JSF want to promote Akiko? Do they think she's too old? Or does her coach not have enough pull within her federation?

I am so happy that Akiko is continuing onto Sochi, I would LOVE to see her on the podium there (a girl can dream....).

I donot have insider information within JSF enough to back up my guess, but my guess is some stupid (sorry!) JSF officials believe Akiko as a female skater is not good (or young or cute, whatever...) enough sponsor-wise; more precisely, in money-wise. I do not want to go deep into such as sexual harrassment, but In Japan, people in general tend to value 'youth' and 'cuteness' in females.

I remember JSF heavily promoted Miki during Turin Olympics season, in spite of her luckluster season (partly owing to her injury, but to me she also looked unmotivated and unfocused the whole season) going into the Olympics, juct becasue Miki had a lot of sponsorships, such as Toyota and Lotte. Miki was simply a center of public attention to the media and TV viewers as 'a cute high school girl who can jump a quad with no sweat!' at that time. I still believe that was why Yukari got so low-balled at Nationals that year.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko after the medal ceremony. She had a sweet gesture of putting her bronze medal to her coach Hiroshi Nagakubo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVe-2RKzsyg

This is such a wonderful gesture from Akiko! Makes me love her more. She is a truly wonderful person and athlete and she really loves her coach and her whole team. I guess that is the reason why she is so blessed! Surely her coach welled up and had this incredible sense of pride of joy!

For some athletes, the next big move is to go to a big time coach and choreographer like what Sasha and Shizuka, did before but I feel that Akiko really trust and love her team. They have big things happening ahead of them and I believe this will be the start of more amazing things to come.

The edge of Carolina and Akiko will be their maturity and artistry on the ice against the technically explosive youngsters next season. Caro and Akiko have amazing technique as well so hope they do really well!

It is amazing because this year she has established herself as the top Japanese female skater in the world. Miki and Mao have been the incredible superstars of the sport in Japan and have done so much for the sport of Figure skating so it's nice that Akiko is also making a huge mark in the sport.

We are all blessed to have witnessed amazing world class talent from Japan: From Midori Ito, Yuka Sato, Fumie Suguri, Shizuka Arakawa, Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Akiko Suzuki! It is amazing that Akiko's name belongs to the elite female skaters from Japan who have medalled at Worlds!

Dedication, passion and excellence.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I donot have insider information within JSF enough to back up my guess, but my guess is some stupid (sorry!) JSF officials believe Akiko as a female skater is not good (or young or cute, whatever...) enough sponsor-wise; more precisely, in money-wise. I do not want to go deep into such as sexual harrassment, but In Japan, people in general tend to value 'youth' and 'cuteness' in females.

I remember JSF heavily promoted Miki during Turin Olympics season, in spite of her luckluster season (partly owing to her injury, but to me she also looked unmotivated and unfocused the whole season) going into the Olympics, juct becasue Miki had a lot of sponsorships, such as Toyota and Lotte. Miki was simply a center of public attention to the media and TV viewers as 'a cute high school girl who can jump a quad with no sweat!' at that time. I still believe that was why Yukari got so low-balled at Nationals that year.

Mao and Miki really have the superstar looks, cuteness and beauty that is adored in Japan especially for Mao. Mao for me is like Yu-Na, a total package that attracts people and corporate sponsors etc bringing in more support for the sport. Miki and Mao have rock superstar status in Japan so there will be huge support. Aside from that, they are really immensely talented in their own right and they belong as early as now to the future greats of the sport.

I love Akiko because she isn't the most stereotypically gorgeous Japanese lady but she is beautiful in every way. She is so humble and passionate for the sport and it resonates in everything that she does when she skates. She had to claw her way up the ladder to attain what she has achieved thus far. She doesn't have the typical story of a champion. She was a promising star victimised by anorexia nervosa who was inspired by Shizuka Arakawa's win in Torino to keep on skating and to make her dreams come true. We have all been blessed to witness the untraditional rise of Akiko. She has had a dream season so kudos to her and her whole team!

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
From http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20120408it.html
Suzuki's third-place finish was well deserved and marked the first time she had medaled in the worlds or Olympics. Her battle in overcoming an eating disorder years ago and her perseverance in making the podium at 27 combined to make her story especially inspiring.

She has enjoyed an outstanding season in 2011-12, winning the NHK Trophy, and finishing second at the Grand Prix Final, Japan national championships and Skate Canada.

The Aichi Prefecture native's combination of fitness, enthusiasm and technique have been responsible for the compelling surge so late in her career.

By Suzuki's age most skaters have long since retired from competition. The vibe she emits is one of unrelenting joy that she can still perform at a high level.

Many athletes take their natural talents for granted, but Suzuki is different. The emotion she showed when she left the ice after her free skate at the Vancouver Games was truly moving. You just have the feeling that every time she takes the ice she is determined to cherish the moment and make the most of it.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Isn't she given some belated, deserving attention from Japanese media now?

I just came from Japan after 5 day visit. My impression is that in Japan, baseball is the utterly popular sports and what about FS? Is it that hugely popular there?:rolleye:
Anyway, I believe at least there is more media coverage about FS in Japan than in any other countries.

This clip is focusing on Takahashi and Suzuki as senior members who will participate as Team Japan in the World Team Trophy.

About Akiko, see 6:10~8:50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bJyofDEa4xw

Really impressive. See 7:20~7:46.
The clip shows her many falls in practicing 3-3s and the SP of NHK 2012 where she finally succeeded it in for the first time.

"Young skaters tend to learn jumps faster but for me it was hard. I challenged and your(Arakawa) advice who happened to visit my link in Oct last year was a great help for me."

Have you heard any other case that a 27 year old female skater got a 3-3 for the first time?
Admirable. So happy for her.

christinaskater

Medalist
Isn't she given some belated, deserving attention from Japanese media now?

I just came from Japan after 5 day visit. My impression is that in Japan, baseball is the utterly popular sports and what about FS? Is it that hugely popular there?:rolleye:
Anyway, I believe at least there is more media coverage about FS in Japan than in any other countries.

This clip is focusing on Takahashi and Suzuki as senior members who will participate as Team Japan in the World Team Trophy.

About Akiko, see 6:10~8:50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bJyofDEa4xw

Really impressive. See 7:20~7:46.
The clip shows her many falls in practicing 3-3s and the SP of NHK 2012 where she finally succeeded it in for the first time.

"Young skaters tend to learn jumps faster but for me it was hard. I challenged and your(Arakawa) advice who happened to visit my link in Oct last year was a great help for me."

Have you heard any other case that a 27 year old female skater got a 3-3 for the first time?
Admirable. So happy for her.

It is good she is receiving attention already in Japan! So happy for her. I'm sure popularity and fame is not the reason why she skates but if she does have support then that would really be good as well.

Japan is a truly baseball and football crazy country and it's good FS is one of their favourite sports and receives great media coverage :)

It's wonderful that Shizuka is helping and inspiring the current Japanese skaters :)

The idol has helped her fan and has given her great advise in making the triple-triple happen! Kudos to Shizuka! I love her so much as well!

Shizuka helped her? That's lovely to hear. It makes me love both skaters all the more.

It's amazing that a skater who's almost thirty has been able to perfect a triple-triple at her age.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think she did. It's wonderful that she really takes care of all of of these Japanese skaters. She is a real inspiration to all of them.
Shizuka was a bit stoic at first but when she got the right people, coaches, choreographers etc- she became the total package. One of my favourites ever.
I admire her for going to different rinks, motivating and sharing her knowledge and experiences to help skaters like Akiko!

sunny0760

On the Ice
I think she did. It's wonderful that she really takes care of all of of these Japanese skaters. She is a real inspiration to all of them.
Shizuka was a bit stoic at first but when she got the right people, coaches, choreographers etc- she became the total package. One of my favourites ever.
I admire her for going to different rinks, motivating and sharing her knowledge and experiences to help skaters like Akiko!

I think her facial expression is still stoic.:) Very articulate, professional young lady.
Yes, according to the clip, Shizuka's advice was timely and very helpful, which Akiko will never forget.

By the way, after watching the vid, Takahashi is starting to grow on me. He seems to be nice, responsible, caring and most of all very honest. He shows self confidence in expression/performance part of figure skating as well as speaking of Chan highly about his stamina. He also said he considers Suzuki as 'friend of heart' after talking about her earnest, caring character.

christinaskater

Medalist
Hmmm....."Friend of heart", looks promising hehehe.

If they were like coach/choreographer couple 10 years from now- they will be the top in the world :)