Akiko Suzuki | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's been over 2 weeks since the Worlds, so getting a bit an old news...but some quick translation for Akiko fans.

Just thought might still be of interest for those do not read Japanese...My apologies in advance if someone already translated here or elsewhere on this.

----------------------------------
Sources: Column in Sports sec., Nikkei shimbun, April 2nd, 2012

Reminder to readers: Japanese is a rather indirect language. In order to make more sense in English, I may add and/or replace some English words in the process of translations. Also, I am no expert in stanslation, please ignore grammatical errors if any. Thanks!
----------------------------------------

<<"Being myself." says Suzuki;
A late bloomer who believes in herself and has captured the Bronze at age 27>>

Ever since steppend on the ice for the first time in her life at the age 6, she has been through many ups and downs. On March 31st, her efforts overcoming countless hardships over the years have finally paid off in Nice, France for Akiko Suzuki. Just turned 27 y.o. 3 days ago, she has become the elderest world medalist in the history of Japan's figure skating.
"I have always believed that I could improve myself everyday: improve somewhere with my skating today, then improve elsewhere tomorrow, as long as I believe so. This is the very first present I got for my birthday!", Akiko said, proudly looking at the shining bronze medal on her chest.

Right after Carolina Kosnter who made the audience in Nice get wildly excited with her brilliant and the world title winning performance, Suzuki steppend on the ice, appearing with her composure. Dressed in a vivid blue costume and flying over the ice, she performed the strong Free skate.
"Well, that was typical of myself at the end. I never disappoint you, don't I?" she said jokingly with a smile, pointing out the only visible mistake to pop her second Lutz into single.

When entered Tohoku Fukushi University at age 18, Suzuki suffered an eating disorder and lost 15 kg (approx. 33 lbs). She had to drop out of the competitive skating for a couple of years due to this disease. The disease also reminded her how she loved what she did, and changed her attitude towards skating; in a much stronger, more positive way than any others.
"One one can beat Akiko concerning the amount of practice time on the ice here. I always tell her, 'Are you practicing more?'"; says one of junior skaters at her rink in Nagoya.

After arriving at Nice, her condition went back and forth during daily on-ice practice; hitting all jumps one day, then fall after fall another day. Even on such a bad day, she never had a doubt in herself: "You had prepared enough back home for this event. You landed jumps hundreds of times already, didn't you?"

Prior to the biggest competition of the season, which was to be the second one for her to compete after 2010 Worlds, Suzuki reminded herself that this might be her last one in her whole competitive career. She promised, in herself, to fight for it to the utmost of her capability.

And she did (won the first world medal and satisfied with the result). But Suzuki regrets that pop, a mistake on jump, too.

A late bloomer admitted to the media after the competition, with a happy smile, that Mr Nagakubo her coach told her as follows: "You are leaving Nice with your homework undone. You can not quit, just yet!"
-----------------------------------
(end)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
<<"Being myself." says Suzuki;
A late bloomer who believes in herself and has captured the Bronze at age 27>>

Thank you for the translations, deedee1! They are incredibly insightful and helpful to us non-Japanese speakers.

I have another question about Akiko...how does she fund her skating? Skating is an expensive sport and I assume the JSF does cover part of the expenses, but does Akiko have a sponsor or anything like that? I know the very famous big-name skaters like Daisuke and Mao have lots of advertisements, sponsors, etc., to supplement their income in addition to their official federation funding, and others like Takahiko Kozuka have the support of sponsors like Toyota, but we never seem to hear anything about Akiko....

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translations, deedee1! They are incredibly insightful and helpful to us non-Japanese speakers.

I have another question about Akiko...how does she fund her skating? Skating is an expensive sport and I assume the JSF does cover part of the expenses, but does Akiko have a sponsor or anything like that? I know the very famous big-name skaters like Daisuke and Mao have lots of advertisements, sponsors, etc., to supplement their income in addition to their official federation funding, and others like Takahiko Kozuka have the support of sponsors like Toyota, but we never seem to hear anything about Akiko....

My pleasure, evangeline! :)

As for Akiko's sponsorship, I am pretty sure she does have a couple of them.

I recall, right after Vancouver Olympics, the media reported Akiko was sa busy visiting and thanking for those who had supported her up until the Olympics, that she had no time to get herself prepared for Torino Worlds (because she was the first alternative upon Yukari's withdrawal from the worlds). I believe the word 'those' meant her sponsors.
Also I remember she used to have a part time job, probably until 2009-10 season, as the receptionist at her rink where she trained, but not anymore since then.
Besides, she is already famous enough. People, who come to the rink for fun-skating while opens to the public and ask for rental skating shoes, shall meet the receptionist who is an Olympian and now a world medalist. They will be surprised to death! :laugh:

Rena Inoue also used to have a part time job at a supermarket while competing for US back then, didn't she?
Competitive skating costs hell a lot of money...

Becki

Medalist
I am so happy for Akiko!! I hope she continues winning medals, and end her career on a high note :)

christinaskater

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5KvacBSTjo&feature=g-u-u&context=G2dea2efFUAAAAAAACAA
Akiko's FS from WTT
She scored a career best score of 187.79!
I am a bit sad though because she wanted a clean performance for her LP all season but she has not been able to produce a perfect performance. I could sense her frustration. She is happy to have finished first overall and beat Carolina, Alena and Ashley but would have been more satisfied had she given a perfect performance.

Hopefully next season she could have a clean and perfect skate when it matters :)

Her achievements this year has been amazing and she has not been off the podium in all of the event she has entered this season.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here are pics from Akiko's blog:

http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/image-11244954421-11961546561.html

http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/image-11244954421-11961546545.html

On May 7, Monday there was a big party planned by and held by her co-workers within her company to celebrate Akiko's winning bronze medal at Nice Worlds, and there came almost 170 attendees!, Akiko says in her blog. :yay:

At the end of the party when Akiko was about to make a speech to express her gratitude in front of the attendees, Daisuke showed up, out of nowhere,:laugh: with a flower to surprise Akiko! :)

Both of them had been together during PIW ice shows for 2 weekends, but Dai never hinted Akiko abot this, she now complains about it in her blog.:biggrin:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yesterday, the ISU posted a Facebook video of Akiko being interviewed along with Yuzuru Hanyu. The interview is in Japanese, but at least a partial transcript in English also is at the link below. Even just their body language is quite endearing: smiles and laughter, and bowing and waving to the camera at the end. The title is "About Performances and Friendship," and the video is 2:50 in length.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=417576271600653

christinaskater

Medalist
Here are pics from Akiko's blog:

http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/image-11244954421-11961546561.html

http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/image-11244954421-11961546545.html

On May 7, Monday there was a big party planned by and held by her co-workers within her company to celebrate Akiko's winning bronze medal at Nice Worlds, and there came almost 170 attendees!, Akiko says in her blog. :yay:

At the end of the party when Akiko was about to make a speech to express her gratitude in front of the attendees, Daisuke showed up, out of nowhere,:laugh: with a flower to surprise Akiko! :)

Both of them had been together during PIW ice shows for 2 weekends, but Dai never hinted Akiko abot this, she now complains about it in her blog.:biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNCY2qJsyI8

altuixde

On the Ice
Are there any videos on the net of Akiko speaking English? I haven't been able to find any where she says more than a few English words.