2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well, but Reginald, even though it's not over yet, Mirai has had a quite good season, and she's definitely matured physically and mentally. She's been working very hard to rebuild her reputation. Give credit where credit is due.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Here's hoping that this year's nationals won't be a splatterfest.

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
What a great skate from Mirai! Really hitting the notes, smiling at the audience. You can see she's getting her spark back. And not a shadow of a doubt about the triple/triple. Her second one this season! It looks like she's finding ways to survive and stay strong despite the flu. After all her jumps she would look right at the judges and the crowd. Very sassy. Love it.

I think she got lowballed on the PCS. Just 29 and change. I'm guessing part of that is a function of skating second of 21. But 64.39 is still great! Definitely puts pressure on the other ladies to deliver. Also great job Samantha!

samson

Medalist
Hannah did well. Nice speed and personality. I think she doubled the second loop in her combo which would explain the low score.

Halley Dunne looked so lovely out there. She has a very old world look to her skating. Unfortunately only a single lutz and a step out on the axel, but she has really nice quality. Be interested to see if they put her before or after Angela Wang.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Pretty good Mirai... 3/3! PCS conservative marked for a clean skate. I'd be curious to see Ashley's PCS with a 3/2. ;)

surprisingly the scoring at this years nationals is not as inflated

Ashley hasn't skated yet, and Mirai might have been held back for the last group.

Last edited:

Reginald

Match Penalty
Hannah did well. Nice speed and personality. I think she doubled the second loop in her combo which would explain the low score.

Halley Dunne looked so lovely out there. She has a very old world look to her skating. Unfortunately only a single lutz and a step out on the axel, but she has really nice quality. Be interested to see if they put her before or after Angela Wang.

It is amazing how just slightly screwing up the second jump on your SP combo, can be devastating to your chances in the competition. Case and point
Michelle Kwan 1997 Worlds (cost her the title)
Kimmie Meissner 2006 Nationals (almost cost her a spot on the Olympic team)
Mao Asasa 2007 Worlds (cost her the title)
Caroline Zhang 2008 nationals (cost her the title)
Hannah Miller 2013 Nationals (cost her a medal)

It's weird how in the SP, a fall on your double axel won't take you out of contention, but a bobble on the second jump of your combo will.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Standings so far

1. Mirai Nagasu 64.39
2. Samantha Cesario 55.74
3. Hannah Miller 54.47
4. Angela Wang 52.06
5. Haley Dunne 44.96

Art&Sport

Medalist
Pretty good Mirai... 3/3! PCS conservative marked for a clean skate. I'd be curious to see Ashley's PCS with a 3/2. ;)

Yeah, PCS is where they always manipulate the scoring to satisfy the placements in terms of rep and politics. And true that Mirai skated early so she might have gotten higher PCS skating the same program in the final group.

samson

Medalist
surprisingly the scoring at this years nationals is not as inflated

Yeah I was thinking that. Seemed kind of that way at pairs too. Yeah we'll have to see how the rest of the ladies go. Yeah it's always REALLY interesting to what can mess you up in the sp. 54 isn't great but she's also a point behind Samantha who ended up with a higher jump content.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
watch Ashley with 3/2 get a 69 or 70+
while Gracie with 3lz-3T get a lower score :disapp:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yeah I was thinking that. Seemed kind of that way at pairs too. Yeah we'll have to see how the rest of the ladies go. Yeah it's always REALLY interesting to what can mess you up in the sp. 54 isn't great but she's also a point behind Samantha who ended up with a higher jump content.

I would put the US nationals this season as the least inflated , its almost mirroring of international scores

by Inflated Nationals scores ranking from what I've seen so far

1 Canada
2 France
3 Japan
4 Italy
5 Russia
6 China
7 USA

Reginald

Match Penalty
I would put the US nationals this season as the least inflated , its almost mirroring of international scores

by Inflated scores ranking from what I've seen so far

1 Canada
2 France
3 Japan
4 Italy
5 Russia
6 China
7 USA

Good for the US judges.