Han Yan | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Han Yan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What I'm curious about is how Han was diagnosed with a concussion and Yuzuru had a brain contusion? I hope Han will be alright, I wouldn't want him to push for TEB but it seems like he's determined to compete, even if there is a bit of pain considering he said "if it doesn't hurt too much."

Yuzuru's diagnosis includes a cranial contusion, i.e. a head bruise, not a brain injury.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
^^ no official news report or anything, only info can be found is from his weibo. And the original I have quoted here, and there is also another translation in the edge.
So sad, that this is the only information we get from him after the accident.
I had concussion myself before, I knew very well how serious it could be.
I just hope that his team and himself take it seriously ...

I know it was from weibo and yeah, it's very unfortunate that not many media reporting about Han Yan's conditions.. These past days has been very hard for them and us. I can't bear for bad news anymore. I will just leave for a moment and wish them speed recovery (and not making careless decision!).

Meoima

Match Penalty
A poster from FSuniverse:

Yan Han should be fine, he was seen going out having fun with his girlfriend on Sunday, the day after the collision. Reports said he looked quite healthy and energetic with the girl.
I hope Han Yan will be alright. So worried.

Rinkside
Hopefully he will be Meoima.
If we go by what he said on his weibo and he does have suspected pulmonary hemorrhage, he is in no condition to go and skate again. He could potentially be making his injuries a lot worse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_hemorrhage
It should have gotten attended to quickly. If he had a (mild hopefully please only be mild) concussion and hemorrhage. I am enraged about how this wasn't detected after his skate. Especially the concussion. He is only 18 years old, skating with these two dangerous injuries could have been life threatening.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't understand why the doctor let him go back to the ice, though. Of course he is an athlete but his health should come first. Either the doctor is too reckless or maybe his condition is not too severe?? I don't get it. It doesn't make sense.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I don't understand why the doctor let him go back to the ice, though. Of course he is an athlete but his health should come first. Either the doctor is too reckless or maybe his condition is not too severe?? I don't get it. It doesn't make sense.
Do we know what doctor actually checked his condition? Was is the one who checked Hanyu? I mean- the doctor who has a proper medical education and experience in traumas? I don't care how energetic he might have looked hanging out with his girlfriend. We are talking about competitions- it's a completely different kind of activity, isn't it?
I think we need to start a petition on this matter: make ISU look into health safety for the figure skating athletes and ensure proper medical staff on International events. What do you think guys?

foruiz

Final Flight
Oh, poor Han Yan. I wish him speedy recovery and hope that it is just due to the nuances of a different language that we are not able to understand what he really said.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Do we know what doctor actually checked his condition? Was is the one who checked Hanyu? I mean- the doctor who has a proper medical education and experience in traumas? I don't care how energetic he might have looked hanging out with his girlfriend. We are talking about competitions- it's a completely different kind of activity, isn't it?
I think we need to start a petition on this matter: make ISU look into health safety for the figure skating athletes and ensure proper medical staff on International events. What do you think guys?
I remember Han Yan wrote on his blog that he took all the tests at the hospital. So he indeed did go to the hospital. The question now is what did the doctor at the hospital tell him?

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I remember Han Yan wrote on his blog that he took all the tests at the hospital. So he indeed did go to the hospital. The question now is what did the doctor at the hospital tell him?
They were both released too soon, don't you think? And why did Han Yan have another proper check after he came back from competitions? What was actually done in that hospital?

Meoima

Match Penalty
They were both released too soon, don't you think? And why did Han Yan have another proper check after he came back from competitions? What was actually done in that hospital?
That's what puzzle me as well. I hope he did have proper check the next day. If some sources are right then his coach is also his mother (any one help me confirm?) so of course she will not push her son in danger. :cry:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
That's what puzzle me as well. I hope he did have proper check the next day. If some sources are right then his coach is also his mother (any one help me confirm?) so of course she will not push her son in danger. :cry:

I'd like to know as well. Google says her name is Shuguang Jia, but I believe Chinese women tend to keep their maiden names, so that isn't of much help. Perhaps that was just the way he referred to her? I don't know if that is common in Chinese, but for example in Korean or Japanese it might not be too strange for someone to refer to their coach as an older brother/sister if they were really, really close. :think: I'm sure someone around here can answer properly..

yyyskate

Record Breaker
as I said in my previous post, Han and her coach have a very tight bound, she is his coach since hans started figure skating, Han respect his coach and calls her Mom, She is not his mom.

Meoima

Match Penalty
as I said in my previous post, Han and her coach have a very tight bound, she is his coach since hans started figure skating, Han respect his coach and calls her Mom, She is not his mom.
I understand. Thank you for clarification. :) I think his coach care for him a lot. She won't push him into anything dangerous. Let's hope for the best. There is no update that he will definitely go to TEB anyways. And if he goes, maybe his coach has made sure that Han Yan is safe.
Fingers crossed for this baby!!! :cry:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Han's long program, some thoughts about Lori this season.
it is obviously a Jazzy piece, and the character of Jazz "improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation" are also obvious in the music cut itself.
Clever use of hand gestures refer to lyrics, also, after mid-half, that piano improvisation is jam packed with 5 jumps passes come out of nowhere, is a very creative and brave choreo idea, needs a lot of pacing and skaters extraordinary ability to execute it perfectly, this is a very good program from Lori this season and a lot to admire, have to wait until Han bring it full potential late in the season, Han was vastly improved in acting skills and dance compare to last season.
Jazz is one music genre Han loves, another one being waltz.
From Han's LP, I notice that Lori seems used similar music editing ideas in Zijun's LP, perhaps she is in a jazzy mood. Zijun's LP main theme is moon river, however in the middle she incorporated Piano Concerto No. 2, it is not abrupt at all, but sounds like a improvisation of the main theme. perhaps, Lori is playing the composer herself this time. I think it is a clever use of Piano Concerto No.2
lori once mentioned that Zijun reminds her of Mao at times. this maybe her subtle way to attribute to Mao's Piano Concerto No.2.
But it will be very challenging for Zijun to fully realize Lori's vision this season.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like Han Yan's costumes this season. Very economic IMO. But a little but pity that he didn't wear torn clothes as his SP costume.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
yeah, absolutely, he should wear that one (the torn white shirt) he wore at ArOI, hands down!

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Han's inteview after TEB, I just read it, and would like to share with you guys.
original interview in Chinese
http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA...&idx=1&sn=2b58e48a2d320ad66ab789f5fcffc26b#rd
rough translation (quite long):
...on 11/8 COC, an accident happened during Men’s 6 min warm up, I first saw Han is in the corridor,He was heading to the infirmary with the help of team doctor and coach, on his neck, still traces of blood, He said “I am Okay”,while barely controll his shaking body, when coach ask him to take off his skates, he asked “what about my competition”
Its been 2 weeks since then, when I mentioned that scene, he already complete forget it, But he did not avoid talk about the accident, even watched the collision video. Perhaps when he was unconscious back then, there is only one thought, that is compete.
This year, Han get 6th and 8th in his 2 GP events. It is a relatively bad result compare to his last year’s result-- got into GPF during his senior debut season, but Han said, he will treat this season as a adjustment and buffer season, and he believe he will leave his best condition to the most important competition.
Q: the collision to some extend influenced your performance, is that a disappointment for you?
Han: I think the accident will not influence me later on, I would not say it is a disappointment, collision did not hurt my mind, at most just hurt my body, I did not treat it as failure, just an accident.
Q: can you remember what happened?
Han: we were both doing back cross cuts, the speed is super fast, and in that group, we were the fastest, therefore, the collision will be even worse. After this accident, I will be more cautious, Usually, in my everyday training, Coach put me as the top priority and my training mates are all very familiar with each other’s jumping passes, I guess the same thing for Yuzu, thus, did not pay enough attention for our ambience.
Q: after the collision what’s the first thought came to your mind.
Han: first, I cannot feel my chin,I saw my coach, feeling dizzy then collapsed on the floor.
Q:you stood up earlier than Yuzu?
Han: I just wanna leave the center ice at the moment, to rink side, because I knew 6min warm-up haven’t stopped yet, I am afraid that people may hit me again, also afraid of bother others’ warm up. Therefore, I tried my best to crawling to the side,then I collapsed once I were off ice.
Q:when you were laying on the ground, surrounded by people, are you conscious?
Han: I am conscious, but I cannot see my surroundings. My chin has completely lost consciousness, I think I was talking, but cannot feel the movement of my jaw, perhaps, it did not move at all.
Q:after went back to lounge?
Han: when my coach and team doctors assisted me back to the infirmary, team doc stopped my bleeding, and some emergency measure. Primarily check whether my bones were hurt or not, found that bones are okay, then I was just lying in my bed.
Q: after cleaning up the ice. They did 6 min warm up again, did you know that?
Han: yes, I was still accepting treatment, and was not decided whether continue with competition or not.
Q:when did you made the decision.
Han: perhaps, after I started to regain more consciousness, after the initial treatment, I get out of bed, I could stand up, then walked towards resting lounge. During which, I was think I shall still compete after all. My mind is completely blank after the collision, actually, and it was not like fans assumed that it hurts a lot. It was NOT that much pain at that moment, the real pain came on the next day. because, I am in that super nervous competition mode, my mind was completely focused on competition, I cannot feel the pain. I told my coach, I can still take the ice. Actually, my fed is already negotiate with ISU for me to withdraw from the event, but after I said I wanna continue, they also changed their decision and agreed to allow me back on to the ice.
Q: you must be aware that even if you compete you perhaps wont get any good results, then why insist to compete?
Han: this is my home ice, it is in China, although I knew I may not perform well, but I still wanna skate, perhaps, I just wanna perform my programs to the audience. I did not think too much about the results.
Q:feels like quite difficult during your performance?
Han: just a complete blank, cannot remember anything, all sub-conscious, my subconscious strength was sustaining my skating. I was telling myself, I would skate to the end. When I was spinning, my head was very dizzy, it’s getting even worse, but I still have to do my spins. Because, If I were not to spin, I will just stand on ice, then I don’t know what to do, then I thought I might as well spin. :p
Q: after back to Beijing, you did further examination. when did you decided to go for TEB.
Han: we departure on Tuesday, the final decision is on Monday, because after the collision, the first on ice training is at Monday, before that, I was on bed the whole time, for a week. One weak before my departure on Saturday, I wore my skates for the first time. Took one on-ice training session, Had a rest on Sunday. Pacticed one on-ice session on Monday, because we leave on Tuesday night, I practiced 2 on-ice sessions during Tuesday day time. In total, I have 4 on-ice training session, then off to France.
Q: did you estimate your outing before TEB.
Han: I did not, just thought that it is great to just take part. Because I was not hurt seriously, I shall go to compete NO MATTER WHAT (naruto anime mode). It is just soft tissue injuries, Team doc actually did not prone to suggest me go for TEB. I just wanna give it a try.I thought my stamina is good enough for a SP at least. Hence, I wanna perform my SP a little better. Whether I can do my FP, will depends on how I feels after SP. This was my thought at the time. Actually, I really want to go to TEB to get the feeling of competition because, my competitive outtings are still too little for me this season.
Q: after the collision, there is some controversy between fans(conspiracy argument), and you also clarified it on your weibo,Did you feel wronged.
Han: I did not. I guess peoples who got those kinda speculation is not very familiar with figure skating this sport. It not likely that people respond that fast, it is literally impossible, we both were at each other’s blind spot, after we turn around, the distance is only 30 cm, I think we both used our hands to protect instantly is already super fast response. I actually found that,after I watched our collision video, we both pull out our hands instinctly for protection. My mind was completely blank, unaware of anything.
Q: after the accident, all the media (domestic and international) attention is all about Yuzu’s well-being, do you fell neglected?
Han: I think it does not matter, I was just resting and recovery.
Q:how does your body feel now?
Han: first one week adjustment after back from France. Nothing major about my body. My chest stills hurts when I am trying to jump. But I think it will get better over time.
Q: your GPs have already finished, what’s your feeling about your second senior season?
Han: I have more expectations this season, and my goal are set a bit high. At the beginning of this season, I hoped that I can make it into the final again, and my performance could be better in COC, it is a pity.
Q: but still you have more important events coming up.
Han: Next, I still want to present my 2 programs perfectly for everyone. It is time that I have great performances, and I believe I will do. I did not intend to discuss about goals.If insist on a goal, that is I just want to skate these 2 programs well. Because from last year to today. I have yet to put out great performances. Scores, how do I say about it. I think my scores are acceptable. comparing to my outtings itself. Regarding the 2 programs of this season, I wish to see what will happen if I cleaned both. If I can give perfect performance, Actually don’t care about my rankings. Even if only ranked 10th, I will be exuberant if I cleaned my 2 programs flawlessly. Because that is all I got. That is all my merits, I cannot do anything else other than that. For now, I still have space to improve. Actually a huge space for me to improve. I hope I can attribute my best condition to the most important event this season.
Q: after OG season, what aspects have you grow?
Han: Actually, I was pondering about that as well, maybe the experience is not a good thing for me currently, because I will want even more. While I haven’t got the ability to handle the “wanting more ”mentality. Last season and before, I really don’t have much thoughts, just go out and compete. Now, I have more expectations for myself, these thoughts hindered how I should execute certain things, for example, COC SP, before COC, my practice was really good, actually my best condition for last 2 years, but just because I thought too much, but I can not step up with this “wanting to much”tempo, then, I made mistakes in my SP.
Q: people will always have more goals/thoughts as their age increases.
Han: Yes, but I haven’t reach the ability to properly handle my own expectation. I will just treat this experience as an adjustment and buffer for now. Next, I have 4CC and Worlds,I think 4CC is very important for me, because only if I have a good outing at 4CC, I can leave a good impression of my programs on judges’ mind. And setup a good foundation for worlds, Next I will focus on my training and preparing for next events.
Such a courageous and level-headed young man, I wish you all the best :)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing this interview. He has a positive attitude and a very strong will -like Yuzu. I hope to see him place well at Worlds. Maybe even top 5.
Gambare Han Yan. :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Han Yan!!! I am relieved to know that his body is much better now. So competing at TEB didn't hurt his body. I wish him much recovery on his mentality.