2013 Junior World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Short Reports | Golden Skate

2013 Junior World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Short Reports

Detailed Classification
Judges Scores

Disclaimer: The GOE values listed next to the elements are the ones, I'd award if I was a judge, to give you a general impression of how well it was executed. I try to describe each of the elements but there's not always time to be as detailed as I would like and those numbers can sometimes say a thousand words. So if you see positive GOE, it means an element was executed to a high standard (and yes, I am generally being very nitpicky ;)).

Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are very welcome.

27. UNO Shoma /JPN/
Tanguera

3loop/3toe(not a lot of flow out) [0]
scratch butterflies to flying camel coe to upward catch to donut [0]
sit holding foot to pancake/jump to sit side twist [0]
3flip – gap after steps [-1]
camel/sit forward bend(fast)/change up var to cross-foot – good positions, quite good rotation speed [1]
straight line step sequence – very expressive, fast footwork [1]
ina bauer to 2axel – overrotated, hand down [-3]

Very expressive throughout. He showed a lot attack. Good use of upper body movement and he skated to the music well.

Good rotation speed on his combination spin but the flying camel and the change sit were a little slow.

28. LEE June Hyoung /KOR/
Capone by Ronan Hardiman

3axel – overrotated [-2]
3lutz [-3] – stepped out and fell
sit pancake(good position, quite good rotation speed/change sit/jump to sit side twist(slow, weak extension) [0]
3flip – straight off steps, could use some more flow out though [0]
camel/up L/change sit broken leg/up catch [0]
circular step sequence – good upper body movement, fast footwork [1]
to scratch butterflies to flying camel upward twist to donut to upward catch [0] – decent rotation speed but positions could have been better extended

The choreography reflected the character of the music quite well and there was quite a lot of upper body movement. He didn't sell it with a lot of attack or conviction, however (unlike Uno).

29. HINO Ryuju /JPN/
TaTaKu (best of Kodo) by Tetsuro Naito, Motofumi Yamaguchi

3axel [0] – clean but not a lot of height and leaning in the air slightly, good flow out though
1lutz/turn/3toe [-3] – telegraphed
flying camel to upward twist to catch – quite slow, positions not extended very well [-1]
3lip – weak landing, outside edge on take-off [-2]
sit var/change sit broken leg – fast rotation [1]
straight line step sequence – good flow, a lot of upper body movement [1]
to camel/sit var coe/up forward bend/change camel/jump to sit/up cross-foot(fast) [1] – a little slow on the camel and sit after the change of foot but fast otherwise

His edges are quite good and he was able to maintain quite good speed and flow throughout. He really lacks performance skills however. He skated looking down on the ice and was just going through the motions, not presenting the program out to the judges and the audience. His movements were quite stiff and he doesn't know how to use his arms.

30. ZHANG He /CHN/
Minnie the Moocher (from Blues Brothers soundtrack) by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Sing Sing Sing by Louis Prima

2axel – solid, good flow out [1]
3lutz/3toe(weak landing, foot down quickly) [-1]
sit cannonball to forward bend/change sit/jump to sit to var(slow) [0]
3flip – quite high and solid but a gap after steps [0]
scratch butterfly to flying camel to upward twist coe to donut [0]
straight line step sequence – good flow and upper body movement [1]
camel/sit side twist/change up butt out to up – good positions and rotation speed [1]

Very good use of the whole body throughout. His movements were very well extended and he was very expressive.

He is the most interesting Chinese skater I have seen to date, by far and his basics are far better than what you'd expect.

31. Jason BROWN /USA/
The Question of U by Prince

3axel [0] – entry quite long and not a lot of flow out but quite good height
steps towards 3lutz(weak landing)/turn/2toe [-2] – his timing was little late on the lutz, he cheated it slightly and just didn't have the momentum to do the toe straight off
flying camel to upward catch to coe – very good position and rotation speed [2]
to back sit leg behind/sit var/jump to sit [1]
steps directly to 3flip [0]
straight line step sequence – very detailed footwork and upper body movement, fast steps and turns [2]
camel to var/sit/up L/change camel/sit side twist/up [0] – a little tentative at times, fortunately he managed to maintain focus and it didn't all go wrong (which was a possibility from the way it looked)

Very detailed choreography. He used every inch of his body to interpret the music throughout. Fantastic posture and lines.

This is probably the best men's short program of the season. It deserved PCS in the 7s and 8s.

32. Joshua FARRIS /USA/
Suite for Solo Cello No 1 in G Major: Prelude by Yo-Yo Ma

steps towards 3axel – high and solid [1]
3lutz/3toe [1] – solid, good speed and flow out, entry a little telegraphed though
scratch butterflies to flying camel to catch to upward catch – quite good rotation speed [1]
footwork directly to 3flip – pitched forward on the landing, lack of speed coming out [-1]
sit to cannonball/change sit broken leg to forward tuck [1]
camel coe/up butt out/change sit to holding foot/up L – good extension in his positions, good flow throughout [1]
circular step sequence – good speed and flow [1]

Strong basic skating, very good speed and flow throughout. Elegant and precise movement. I felt the program lacked character however. The upper body movement was quite sparse and nowhere near as detailed as Brown's.

He deserved to beat Brown on the SS and probably TR as well but not on PE, CH and IN.

33. Nam NGUYEN /CAN/
The Ritz, Roll and Rock by Cole Porter
Red Blues by Cole Porter

3axel – telegraphed, underrotated over half a revolution, fall [-3]
3flip [0] – not a lot of flow out, some transitions coming out of the jump
flying camel upward twist to donut to upward catch [0] – could use more speed
3flutz(cheated over a quarter, weak landing, poor speed out)/3toe(cheated over 1/2) [-3]
sit to holding foot/change sit forward tuck – quite fast rotation, good positions [1]
straight line step sequence – quite fast footwork [1]
turns to camel/sit coe to side twist/change up var to cross-foot – good rotation speed [1]

It's a fun, perky, upbeat program and he's presented it very well during the JGP. Here, however he seemed quite cautious and tentative and mostly focused on his technical elements.

He fell on the 3axel in the warm-up as well so this jump is not very consistent for him yet but given how young he is, it's incredible that he's even attempting it.

34. Shotaro OMORI /USA/
Miss Tango by various artists

3axel – very high, solid landing [1]
3lutz(a bit low)/3toe(not a lot of flow out) [0]
sit cannonball to coe/jump to sit to forward bend(slow) [0]
3flip – not a lot of flow out, long gap after steps [-2]
scratch butterflies to flying camel to upward twist to donut to upward catch [1]
straight line step sequence [1]
camel/up L/change sit/jump to sit broken leg [1]

Good posture and lines. The strong, upright back and the sharp staccato movements captured the character of the tango music well.

35. Pavel IGNATENKO /BLR/
Ragtime Vabank by Henryk Kuzniak & Vabank Dixieland Band

unextended ina bauer into 3axel – poor flow out [-1]
3lutz/2toe – slightly telegraphed [0]
flying camel to coe to catch – slow, poor extension [-1]
3flip – weak landing, turnout [-2]
straight line step sequence [0]
sit to side twist/change sit var/jump to sit broken leg – poorly extended positions, not a lot of speed [-1]
camel/sit holding foot/up butt out/change camel/sit forward bend/up cross-foot – slow after change of foot [-1]

Weak basics. He lacked speed, skated with rounded shoulders throughout and just went through the motions, not extending his movements properly or presenting the program out to the judges and the audience (he needs to stop looking down on the ice).

36. Petr COUFAL /CZE/
The Last of the Mohicans (soundtrack) by Trevor Jones, Randy Edelman

3lutz – fall [-3]
1flip [-3]
scratch butterfly to flying camel to upward twist to upward catch(good extension) – could use some more speed [0]
spread eagle to 2axel [0] – landing not held long, not a lot of flow out
camel/sit broken leg/up raised knee/change camel/sit var/up cross-foot [-1] – poor rotation speed, lacked flow
sit/jump to sit(a little off-centred)/cannonball/forward tuck – a little slow [-1]
straight line step sequence – quite scratchy edges, not a lot of speed [-1]

A weak, sluggish performance. He lacked confidence and just seemed to be going through the motions.

37. Michael Christian MARTINEZ /PHI/
Nocturne from Bohemian Rhapsody by Luca Miracelli

3axel [0] – very high, could use some more flow out though
charlotte to steps to 3lutz/2toe – solid [1]
sit broken leg to forward tuck/change sit/jump to sit side twist – very well extended positions, good rotation speed [1]
cantilever to steps to 3lip – landing not very strong, outside edge on take-off [-2]
to scratch butterflies to flying camel upward twist to donut to upward catch – good extension and rotation speed [1]
circular step sequence [1] – good expression, loved the eye contact with the judges, decent speed
camel/sit/up Y(full split!)/change up biellmann(full split!) - very good positions, decent rotation speed [1]

He's long-limbed, lanky and not very balletic but you could see he was making a lot effort throughout, trying to extend all of his movements and present them well.

Whilst his skating is not yet at the level of the three US guys (not as much speed and power in his basic skating, posture and lines could be stronger) and the choreography could have used some more character, there was a fair amount of transitions in the program and he really gave it his 110% presenting it.

A new personal best for him, very well deserved.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love: Thanks a million for all your great reviews, Ziggy!!!

I love the way you try to be less biased, no naysayer ;) and try to find positive things/good points in every skater(s) and its performance, while addressing his/her/their weakness/shortcomings, if any, to the appropriate degree, because you know they are so young and very promising with lots of time ahead of them to develop themselves. I enjoy your review a lot! and am looking forward to readnig more of them from you. Again thank you so much. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
deedee1, ITA :rock:

I would agree that Farris should not have beaten Brown on PE, INT & CH. I just watched Brown's SP for the second time, and love he finishes off each element to the music, even the jumps, when they are decently landed, and the full extension of his movements from his core out to his fingertips & toes. He just seems to feel his music so well (earlier this year, this SP was not quite gelling)

I wish more guys would go to Rohene Ward for choreo :)

I love the way you try to be less biased, no naysayer ;) and try to find positive things/good points in every skater(s) and its performance, while addressing his/her/their weakness/shortcomings, if any, to the appropriate degree, because you know they are so young and very promising with lots of time ahead of them to develop themselves.

Thank you so much. That's like the best compliment I could get because this is exactly what I am trying to put across.

I can be very bitchy at times but I have immense respect for all the skaters for all the hours of work they have put into this and I would like to see everybody improve and do well.

I would agree that Farris should not have beaten Brown on PE, INT & CH. I just watched Brown's SP for the second time, and love he finishes off each element to the music, even the jumps, when they are decently landed, and the full extension of his movements from his core out to his fingertips & toes. He just seems to feel his music so well (earlier this year, this SP was not quite gelling)

I wish more guys would go to Rohene Ward for choreo :)

Yes to both! :)

Ward seems very creative both in his music choices and the way he lays the choreography out. Great attention to detail as well.

I am surprised more skaters haven't hired his services yet, especially given he's surely much cheaper than the usual big names like Nichol or Wilson.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I can be very bitchy at times

Oh, to me you are much better than, um...(my mouth shut ;)), probably placing 5748201th in my book in terms of 'bitchy' members on GS forum. :laugh:

I have immense respect for all the skaters for all the hours of work they have put into this and I would like to see everybody improve and do well.

ITA! Again :yes::agree::thumbsup:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
:love: Thanks a million for all your great reviews, Ziggy!!!

I love the way you try to be less biased, no naysayer ;) and try to find positive things/good points in every skater(s) and its performance, while addressing his/her/their weakness/shortcomings, if any, to the appropriate degree, because you know they are so young and very promising with lots of time ahead of them to develop themselves. I enjoy your review a lot! and am looking forward to readnig more of them from you. Again thank you so much. :)

I second this!

Ziggy I have enjoyed reading all of your detailed reports, thanks a million! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks very much, I'll try to deliver again for Worlds although sadly it looks like there might be very little coverage. :(