Anna Pogorilaya | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anna Pogorilaya

champs

Final Flight
Here is a 720p I captured off of a no commentary stream yesterday.
http://youtu.be/-X9jK1RTiLc

It's been a few years since the last time I actually sat down and watched the entire SP event of any championships, but since this Worlds will likely be the last competition for Carolina, Akiko, and probably Mao, I decided to watch this competition. And in Ladies SP I'm most impressed with Anna yesterday. It was not just her humongous 3Lz-3T. She has lovely deep edge quality, and could reach top speed with only a few strokes and really flew across the ice. Maybe this was in part due to the choreography but something in her skating and the use of her whole body reminded me of Daisuke. I wholeheartedly agree with those who said she was underscored, and not just slightly at all. I don't think judges have really any clue as to how to be consistent in giving PCSs for the entire event and they probably don't even remember what number they gave to the skaters in the previous group. Just my opinion but ranking Anna third at the end of the SP after Mao and Carolina would have made the most sense to me.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Pogorilaya was sensational. It's just too bad it was so underscored. This is actually the first time I saw her skate and I have to say she made a greater impression on me than Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova the first time I saw them skate.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pogorilaya was sensational. It's just too bad it was so underscored. This is actually the first time I saw her skate and I have to say she made a greater impression on me than Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova the first time I saw them skate.

I think her SP could have score around 68-69 points

Scott512

Record Breaker
Here is a 720p I captured off of a no commentary stream yesterday.
http://youtu.be/-X9jK1RTiLc

It's been a few years since the last time I actually sat down and watched the entire SP event of any championships, but since this Worlds will likely be the last competition for Carolina, Akiko, and probably Mao, I decided to watch this competition. And in Ladies SP I'm most impressed with Anna yesterday. It was not just her humongous 3Lz-3T. She has lovely deep edge quality, and could reach top speed with only a few strokes and really flew across the ice. Maybe this was in part due to the choreography but something in her skating and the use of her whole body reminded me of Daisuke. I wholeheartedly agree with those who said she was underscored, and not just slightly at all. I don't think judges have really any clue as to how to be consistent in giving PCSs for the entire event and they probably don't even remember what number they gave to the skaters in the previous group. Just my opinion but ranking Anna third at the end of the SP after Mao and Carolina would have made the most sense to me.
I too think Anna was better and more impressive than Yulia was. But Anna has to earn her reputation the way Yulia has this past year or so. Has any country ever had 3 15 year old figure skaters the caliber and potential of Yulia, Anna and Elena? And then you add 17 year old 2014 winter olympic champion AdeQueena to the mix and that's quite a good foursome for the next 4 years. :)

roxella

On the Ice
Congratulations,Anna for this accomplishment! I really,really like this girl...my favorite Russian at the moment being and I predict her a bright future :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congratulations,Anna for this accomplishment! I really,really like this girl...my favorite Russian at the moment being and I predict her a bright future :)
Did she deserve the podium? It sounds like she did. I am stunned Anna did so well at worlds in her first ever major competition when her pedigree as a junior was nothing special. Maybe the federation really knew what they were doing sending this girl in place of Adelina. Anna may have even out performed Yulia. But Anna had no reputation or image to the judges being this is her first major competition. Now she does. Well done Anna. And well done on getting Russia those 3 slots for next years worlds.

oleada

Record Breaker
Did she deserve the podium? It sounds like she did. I am stunned Anna did so well at worlds in her first ever major competition when her pedigree as a junior was nothing special. Maybe the federation really knew what they were doing sending this girl in place of Adelina. Anna may have even out performed Yulia. But Anna had no reputation or image to the judges being this is her first major competition. Now she does. Well done Anna. And well done on getting Russia those 3 slots for next years worlds.

I wouldn't say her junior career was nothing special. She competed at two JGP events, medaling in both, and medaled at both the JGPF and JW. That's better than many skaters. Anna is someone, that so far, takes huge advantages of her opportunities. She got a last minute JGP event last season; medaled and earned herself a second one - going on to the final, medaling there and establishing herself as a podium contender at JW. She came in under the radar at her GP event, and won. The only blip was Nationals. But she came here as a sub and boy,did she deliver.

She has huge jumps, and seemingly, mental fortitude. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for her. I hope she can work on her packaging over the summer!

champs

Final Flight
oleada, or anyone who's on this thread, what do you think of Anna's skating skills relative to the other competitors in this competition? I thought hers were superb, much better than Suzuki, Lip, and Gold's, but I'm not an expert so I'd like to hear the opinions of others who are more knowledgeable. In my layman's point of view Anna should have scored better on GOE and PCS in both her SP and FS and should have placed second overall.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say her junior career was nothing special. She competed at two JGP events, medaling in both, and medaled at both the JGPF and JW. That's better than many skaters. Anna is someone, that so far, takes huge advantages of her opportunities. She got a last minute JGP event last season; medaled and earned herself a second one - going on to the final, medaling there and establishing herself as a podium contender at JW. She came in under the radar at her GP event, and won. The only blip was Nationals. But she came here as a sub and boy,did she deliver.

She has huge jumps, and seemingly, mental fortitude. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for her. I hope she can work on her packaging over the summer!
She is opportunistic and that's a good sign. Too bad the judges stiffed her.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just watched Anna's free skate on youtube and it was super and beautiful. It's shame she was kept off the podium. That was a disgrace. I do wonder how good she can get. But it's a shame she got low balled with both programs. They were so well skated.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She got 2 GP's this year because of her 3rd place at Jr Worlds, WON Cup of China, her first GP, over Sotnikova & Kostner. Finished 3rd at TEB behind Wagner & Sotnikova. Qualified for the GPF. Struggled at Russian Nationals.

And skated :love: just beautifully at 2014 Worlds :) scoring personal bests in both SP and FS.

I think she should have been on the podium. I'm glad she at least got a small bronze medal for her stellar FS.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm

Meoima

Match Penalty
I adore this girl, she looks mature comparing her age. I hope they give her more chances. Such a pity Russia has so many talents right now yet they only have maximum 3 slots. :cry:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
By placing as high as she did at Worlds, she has secured 2 GP slots next year, no matter what the Russian Fed wants. If she stays uninjured, considering her excellent consistency and great competitive mindset, she has a good chance to make the GPF again. She is a hard lady for her federation to ignore-she seizes her opportunities and makes everyone take notice.

I like that!

Just for fun facts: She has won one more GP than Sotnikova (who never won one)
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010832.htm
She has finished higher at Worlds than Sotnikova (4th here vs. Sotnikova's ninth at her only Worlds)
She beat Sotnikova at CoC.
She and Julia Lipnitskaia secured 3 spots for Russia at Worlds, something Sotnikova & Tuktamysheva could not do last year.

Unfortunately Sotnikova seenms unbeatable at Russian Nationals, and Anna has twice had her worst performance of the last two years at Russian Nationals. I wish her good luck at Nationals next year!

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
By placing as high as she did at Worlds, she has secured 2 GP slots next year, no matter what the Russian Fed wants. If she stays uninjured, considering her excellent consistency and great competitive mindset, she has a good chance to make the GPF again. She is a hard lady for her federation to ignore-she seizes her opportunities and makes everyone take notice.

I like that!

Just for fun facts: She has won one more GP than Sotnikova (who never won one)
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010832.htm
She has finished higher at Worlds than Sotnikova (4th here vs. Sotnikova's ninth at her only Worlds)
She beat Sotnikova at CoC.
She and Julia Lipnitskaia secured 3 spots for Russia at Worlds, something Sotnikova & Tuktamysheva could not do last year.

Unfortunately Sotnikova seenms unbeatable at Russian Nationals, and Anna has twice had her worst performance of the last two years at Russian Nationals. I wish her good luck at Nationals next year!

I guess Russians have different tastes from us. I admire Plushenko but to think that a great skater like Yagudin, one of the best ever, never won at the national against Plushenko, such a shame. Anna is even more charming than Adelina Sonitkova. Meh!

oleada

Record Breaker
I think Anna and Adelina are both great and there's no reason to bash one to bring up the other!
The girls are friends :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Anna and Adelina are both great and there's no reason to bash one to bring up the other!
The girls are friends :)
I didn't bash Adelina, I simply think Anna is more charming, maybe because she looks mature to her age. Adelina is 17 and she looks more childish than Anna. Her performances in Saitama were even more lively than Julia. She has gut, it just the choice of music is weird, can't blame her. It's the coach's decision.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She got 2 GP's this year because of her 3rd place at Jr Worlds, WON Cup of China, her first GP, over Sotnikova & Kostner. Finished 3rd at TEB behind Wagner & Sotnikova. Qualified for the GPF. Struggled at Russian Nationals.

And skated :love: just beautifully at 2014 Worlds :) scoring personal bests in both SP and FS.

I think she should have been on the podium. I'm glad she at least got a small bronze medal for her stellar FS.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm
I forgot that Yulia and Anna earned 3 spots for Russia next year. Great world. I hope we see Anna, Yulia and Adelina at worlds 2015. Or maybe Elena is one of the other 3 is not able to perform.

And as others have said she looks older than 15. But she's only 15 so she has a lot of room to improve. I hope she understands her not making the podium when should should have is partly because she is new and unknown. Now she is starting to build her reputation and the expectations will grow from that. But it's still hard to understand why she ended up a whopping 6.33 points behind Kostner for the bronze medal. That was not right. But that's figure skating as we all know.

On a side note Anna may challenge Gracie as the best looking ladies figure skater out there.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I didn't bash Adelina, I simply think Anna is more charming, maybe because she looks mature to her age. Adelina is 17 and she looks more childish than Anna. Her performances in Saitama were even more lively than Julia. She has gut, it just the choice of music is weird, can't blame her. It's the coach's decision.
I think Adelina and Yulia are great but different and I think Anna is more charming than both of them. But she does need to find music that better suits her skating than what she used at worlds. Her coach needs to realize that.

usethis2

Medalist
Not just charming but she looks better than Adelina/Yulia in techniques as well. While shallow yet, her lutz clearly takes off of an outside edge.