WTT predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

altuixde

On the Ice
My prediction is almost the same as FSGMT's.

Russia
Canada
United States of America
Japan
France
China

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
For me it is a hard to predict the Team winner of Gold this year. Canada, Russia, Japan and US all have very good team members.
I am pretty sure that China and France will likely be 5th and 6th. But who knows anything can happen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
"Yuna fan" is personally derogative. It connotes YuNa's seemingly detached facial expressions when she skates; YuNa uses her body rather than her face to express her music.

Actually Yu-Na uses her face quite a bit...that term refers to online fans who do nothing but promote Yu-Na and talk poorly about her competitors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sky_fly20 we get that you are not a fan of Osmond and you think she is receiving inflated scores. She had one rough competition at 4CC but her PCS has been consistent from Nebelhorn until Worlds. I expect she will want to redeem herself for 4CC and will do well.

Not sure where the Fallmond came from, but I do believe she had more landed jumps than Kostner at Worlds...

ITA but I wish everyone including skyfly could stop making everything kind of "personal" rather than factual and even then there is huge room for interpretation. Some people post with almost the hint or goal of causing fights. Not sure why?

Anyways my two bits are that the US probably have the most solid team - solid two men, very solid two ladies and a solid dance and pairs team (might be more vulnerable only because Canada is so solid now and there are the Chinese and Russians ahead of them as well probably. Too bad about D and W and V and M - I think V and M should have skated and let poor W and P rest after the injury. Maybe a good skate would help v and m as well. chock and bates are on a roll so W and p could be in trouble. Japan is counting on their singles skaters especially. If this were all out total points Canada would have a better chance probably

If B and S can win the dance the real battle is between the injured teams with the same coach - W and P versus P and B could C and B from the US come up the middle and place second? Could C and B win it all or could they have a huge set back as sometimes happens when one is moving so fast they can't keep up with everything. All the teams have major weaknesses. Japan dance and pairs. Canada - ladies. France - ladies Russia - men ; china is the weakest and most vulnerable overall as in all categories they are at best up and coming - dance is really weak but since you need 2 men and 2 ladies they are vulnerable - could do fairly well in singles but it is a crap shoot with this team. The US is the most sold. The pairs team could beat D and R, the chinese and French but unlikely all of them.

Gold USA
Silver Canada
Bronze Russia
4th Japan
5th France
6th China

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Osmond falls on her FS. So did Sasha Cohen, and she has a bunch of World medals and an Olympic silver....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Osmond is no where near comparable to Carolina
even at her age Carolina had superior jumping arsenal

If Gracie skates clean again, she will set up for next Season her PCS will skyrocket
and she will finally become the No.1 US lady, Gracie is already getting heavy media attention more than Wagner who won't challenge for a medal anyways

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The question mark is our infamous girls. They are not competition if they skate like they always do..If they somehow manage to pull Osmond, Gracie, Li I'll be happy,seriously.
1)Canada
2)Japan
3)Russia
4)USA
5)China
6)France

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the mean are weak but the ladies are tentative
they skated earlier in the FS and lets not forget Osmond's inflated FS with 2 falls that was in Canadian soil

Well, Liza and Sotnikova skated later in the SP while Osmond was in the 2nd flight, and Osmond skated cleanly, which was the reason she did end up ahead of the Russians overall.

As for this competition, Russia has a clear advantage being a lock to win two of the disciplines. But given the inconsistencies of the Russian singles' skaters, and Canada essentially being #2's in pairs and ice dance, and having two top 5 men, I actually think Canada might win it.

It will be very close though.

The Canadian men should both get around 20 points. (e.g. Chan 1st, Reynolds 5th; Chan 2nd, Reynolds 4th).
The Canadian women should get at least 11 points collectively, even in a less-than-ideal scenario where Osmond comes 5th and Daleman comes 10th
D/R should come 2nd and get 11 points.
W/P should come 2nd or 3rd, and get 10-11 points.
Total prediction: around 53 points.

Russian men are a question mark. Let's say Kovtun does his best and Menshov also does okay and they place 7th and 9th, that's 10 points. (though I'm predicting they'll be 9th and 11th, slightly better than Russia last year)
Russian women are also a question mark, but let's say they both do well and end up 3rd and 5th, that's 18 points
Pairs get 12, Ice Dance get 12.
Total prediction: 52 points

A lot is riding on how Daleman/Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva and Kovtun/Menshov handle themselves.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
it has nothing to do with SP, im talking about Osmond's inflated LP skated of course on Canadian home ground

Daleman is a Non Factor so are Kovtun/Menshov

hohoho

On the Ice
it has nothing to do with SP, im talking about Osmond's inflated LP skated of course on Canadian home ground

Daleman is a Non Factor so are Kovtun/Menshov

You keep talking of Osmond's inflation. How about explaining yourself?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish S/K had been picked as the US Pairs team instead of C/S. I think they have already passed them up with their showing at Worlds. I think if they had been selected and D/W had gone the US had a good chance to win.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually Daleman and the Russian men play a huge role int he results here at WTT. Wit so few entries how they do really affects their teams chances. Ie. in the case of the men if the Russian men upset the American men and say the two French guys - possible well you can see how much impact they could have. Likewise, if Daleman beats the two French and say the second Chinese lady those are important points being picked up.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wish S/K had been picked as the US Pairs team instead of C/S. I think they have already passed them up with their showing at Worlds. I think if they had been selected and D/W had gone the US had a good chance to win.

True that. S/K have tremendous potential. C/S--she's wonderful; he skates like a lummox. A lummox with no personality. Still I see the US doing no worse than about 3rd. YMMV of course.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I agree that Pairs and Ice dance competitions mean almost nothing here in WTT. (unless a country is lack of couple/team like Japan in pairs) I think the competition will be between Canada and US, and Japan behind them hoping for a miracle to get the gold. Success of Russian pair and ice dance couple will mean almost nothing unfortunately.. If 2 pairs/couples per country was represented, it would mean so much for Russia. So in a team competition which results are usually determined by singles, I can't see Russia getting a medal, unfortunately. (Kovtun and Menshov just can't compete with Canadian, US and Japanese teams based on the results of season so far) Though I think they will probably make better than last year and be 4th overall.

1. or 2. Canada (Chan, Reynolds, Osmond, D/R, W/P)
2. or 1. US (Max, Gracie, Ashley, C/B)
3. Japan (Mao, Akiko and Daisuke - no pair)
4. Russia (Adelina and Liza, B/S, V/T)
5. France (Florent, Brian?, P/B)
6. China (Zijun, Han Yan?)

I noted the skaters whom I think are the power of their teams. And may get worthy results.

altuixde

On the Ice
I agree that it would be ridiculous if Japan got points in pairs without a pair competing. I did some research and the answer is clear: The ISU World Team Trophy 2013 Announcement states that points are awarded to participants. That means that if there are no participants for a team in a certain discipline, then that team receives no points in that discipline.