Michelle Kwan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan

I think one reason why Michelle is still in the public eye is because -- well, she's still in the public eye. Phil Hersh wrote that as much as he admired Michelle's skating, what she has accomplished after retiring from competition has made his respect for her shoot up a hundred-fold.

Her she is as keynote speaker at the espnW summit conference yesterday, talking about the special Olympics and "making an impact." (Thanks to poster teach23 at the MK Forum for the link.)

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/9802392/making-impact

Last edited:

Vicky458

On the Ice
Does anyone know what happened to The Michelle Kwan Forum. I haven't been able to access it for a few days.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm all for Arsenio Hall-he actually supports figure skaters, particularly Jason Brown.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/06/59721214

Hooray for Michelle!

In addition, Arsenio Hall retweeted the photo to Jason.

Arsenio Hall
‏@ArsenioHall
@jasonbskates RT @MichelleWKwan @musical_wheels @PaulaAbdul @arseniohall -selfie w/ our birthday boy!
#love pic.twitter.com/Hg2Dex1FSQ

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
@ArsenioHall @MichelleWKwan Ahhh! So jealous!!! Wish I was there :) She is truly an inspiration & role model! Thanks for the Retweet!

Arsenio retweeted and favored that tweet :)

Also I love Paula Abdul. I played her "Forever Your Girl" album (on casette tape ;)) a lot in my younger years. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But in the meantime Michelle is making up for it on twitter. :) Here she is celebrating the birthday of songwriter Donnie Demers with Paula Abdul and Arsenio Hall.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcCiqXnCUAAHTxM.jpg

In addition, Arsenio Hall retweeted the photo to Jason.

Arsenio Hall
‏@ArsenioHall
@jasonbskates RT @MichelleWKwan @musical_wheels @PaulaAbdul @arseniohall -selfie w/ our birthday boy!
#love pic.twitter.com/Hg2Dex1FSQ

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
@ArsenioHall @MichelleWKwan Ahhh! So jealous!!! Wish I was there :) She is truly an inspiration & role model! Thanks for the Retweet!

Arsenio retweeted and favored that tweet :) ...

Thanks, Mrs. P :) -- and Mathman (and DP).

When I saw MM's post last night re Michelle and Arsenio, I immediately thought of the Two Degrees of Separation-type serendipity for Jason. Remember Jason's blog from early this season? He said that he regretted being too shy to approach Michelle and say hello when he was practicing at the East West arena (I think for Glacier Falls).

I was hoping that Arsenio would put a bug in Michelle's ear that she ought to do herself a favor and get to know Jason in person (as the great guy and great skater who he is).
Based on Arsenio's retweet, seems possible that he already did just that. At the very least, the Twitter conversation is a good step in the right direction. :cool:

ETA, off topic: Although a relative latecomer to Twitter, Jason definitely has made up for lost time and given us lots of great snapshots (both literal and figurative) of his life. But I hope he won't "forget" to continue his equally excellent blogging.​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P :) -- and Mathman (and DP).

When I saw MM's post last night re Michelle and Arsenio, I immediately thought of the Two Degrees of Separation-type serendipity for Jason. Remember Jason's blog from early this season? He said that he regretted being too shy to approach Michelle and say hello when he was practicing at the East West arena (I think for Glacier Falls).

I was hoping that Arsenio would put a bug in Michelle's ear that she ought to do herself a favor and get to know Jason in person (as the great guy and great skater who he is).
Based on Arsenio's retweet, seems possible that he already did just that. At the very least, the Twitter conversation is a good step in the right direction. :cool:

ETA, off topic: Although a relative latecomer to Twitter, Jason definitely has made up for lost time and given us lots of great snapshots (both literal and figurative) of his life. But I hope he won't "forget" to continue his equally excellent blogging.​

Ah you're thinking of this blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/29/58904908/jason-the-dream-brown-recaps-hectic-summer

I am the type of person who gets extremely starstruck and nervous around high-level skaters as well as any remarkable athlete: my palms get sweaty, my thoughts begin to race, and I almost always regret not saying anything, but the cycle continues to repeat itself. This happened numerous times this summer, but I am going to tell you about two specific incidents.
First, when I was out to dinner with my roommates and I saw Christopher Dean with his kids, I kept contemplating whether or not to say hi. I didn't, and I regret that still to this day. He was even sitting at the table right next to us! I was so starstruck that I couldn't even turn my head, haha!
Next was when I saw Michelle Kwan at the rink in Artesia, Calif., when I was there for practice ice for Glacier Falls. While I was on the ice, Michelle came to the rink, and I immediately stopped what I was doing and skated over to my coaches and told them, "I don't think I can leave the boards!" Clearly, they made me, but any time I would take off for a jump or land, I would have to look away.
After the session, I was stretching outside talking to my mom, and Michelle and her sister, Karen, passed right by me. I just froze. I wanted to take a picture with the two of them so badly. It would have been so easy just to say hello and tell her how much I admire her, but I couldn't move or speak.
So, the moral of this story is, for anyone reading this who looks up to another skater, or any other person, don't ever miss your chance to ask for a picture or an autograph or just to say hi because from my experience, you'll always regret it.

I hope Jason will get to talk to Michelle soon and get that autograph/photo. :)

For those interested, the MK forum is up again now. Michelle just posted a Christmas message. Mentions her whirlwind honeymoon in St. Moritz, then jetting off to Korea for the Special Olympics, etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Fanboying from Jason Brown:

(golden411 had posted the earlier tweets elsewhere, but Jason's tweet was from today)

Follow

Arsenio Hall
‏@ArsenioHall
Hey @MichelleWKwan, I'm so happy for my friend @jasonbskates!!! #blessings 😎👍
9:44 AM - 13 Jan 2014

Michelle Kwan
‏@MichelleWKwan
.@ArsenioHall you should've been there! @jasonbskates skated brilliantly & I had a chance to give him a congratulatory hug @USFigureSkating
10:24 AM - 13 Jan 2014

And then today's very cute tweet from Jason:

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
@MichelleWKwan Can't believe I got to hug u! I couldn't even breathe I was so starstruck! Can't even put into words how much I look up to u!
10:09 AM - 18 Jan 2014

Awww, I'm so happy Jason got to meet his favorite skater!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Fanboying from Jason Brown:

(golden411 had posted the earlier tweets elsewhere, but Jason's tweet was from today)

Follow

Arsenio Hall
‏@ArsenioHall
Hey @MichelleWKwan, I'm so happy for my friend @jasonbskates!!! #blessings 😎👍
9:44 AM - 13 Jan 2014

Michelle Kwan
‏@MichelleWKwan
.@ArsenioHall you should've been there! @jasonbskates skated brilliantly & I had a chance to give him a congratulatory hug @USFigureSkating
10:24 AM - 13 Jan 2014

And then today's very cute tweet from Jason:

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
@MichelleWKwan Can't believe I got to hug u! I couldn't even breathe I was so starstruck! Can't even put into words how much I look up to u!
10:09 AM - 18 Jan 2014

Awww, I'm so happy Jason got to meet his favorite skater!

(1) And the mutual admiration society continues with a virtual kiss from @MichelleWKwan:
.@jasonbskates - you're so sweet. Wishing you the best in Sochi. Hope to see you there! x
1:05 PM - 18 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/MichelleWKwan/status/424648761390817280

(2) Unrelated funny :laugh: photo from @charlieawhite:
.@meryledavis and @MichelleWKwan having a nice conversation while I look on like- "whoa we're being interviewed by Michelle Kwan"

(3)
^ Michelle and Aly are old curling buddies. :)

http://c.o0bc.com/rf/image_609w/Bos...le/Images/greenhouse_OneYearOut_lifestyle.jpg

Here is Michelle watching Mirai's exhibition skate at Nationals. People who were there say she was visibly moved by the performance and by Mirai's difficult situation, and she left immediately after Mirai skated. (Thanks to photographer belladella and to poster teach23 at the MK Forum.)

http://instagram.com/p/jS3giAuOaR/#

Thx, MM. Looks as if Michelle and Aly could show these guys a thing or two about curling ;):