Michelle Kwan | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm assuming Michelle is in Sochi covering the event for Fox Sports? I saw some of her pre Olympic interviews with Jeremy Abbott, Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner which were illuminating.

I wish she were doing commentary though!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I was thinking a couple of things about this thread.
Why isn't it the longest one?
so few posts from Math?

But than I realized how much is summed up in just the name Michelle Kwan. How many wonderful skating moments just pop in you head when you hear the name. And well aparently there is a "new Queen" so afraid to say that. I think mostly do to the support over there is slightly Higher from the media than the USA - seems to surpass even the Sonja days. Ah MK will stay the queen in my mind.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I watched Michelle's Aranjuez at 2003 Worlds last night and I cried because I miss seeing her compete. What can I say, I'm a crybaby. There will never be another like her, that's for sure.

Who is this?

http://instagram.com/p/l2aUrBhIIw/#

Next up for Michelle: she will be hosting an event in support of the Genesis Center, a community organization that provides adult education in English and life skills to immigrants and new Americans in the Providence area. The "fosd fest" features ethnic dishes supplied by area restaurants.

http://www.gencenter.org

“We couldn’t hope for a more internationally distinguished host than Michelle Kwan,” said Don Keel, President and CEO. She is a brilliant role model and inspiration for millions of people,” he said. “We are so grateful for her participation in our cause.”

Last edited:
Here is an article from today's providence Journal reporting on one of Michelle's many activities this year.

http://www.providencejournal.com/br...s-about-hard-transition-away-from-skating.ece

She talks about the difficulty of the transition from skating to real life.

“For 20 years, I never had to ask myself what I wanted to be,” Kwan said of her historic skating career. “It was a hard transition out of skating.”

Working with the Special Olympics helped her make that transition beyond her own life as a competitor, she said. It taught her that participating fully in what you do can lead to personal satisfaction.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A worthy read! I'm not much into US politics but it's interesting how she's "continuing" as a competitor, even though she didn't stay in skating like many other Olympians.

Thanks, everyone! Though I would have liked to see her do a bit more pro skating (mainly because her artistry would have grown outside of the limitations of competition, as Browning and others have shown), I'm happy she found a path she really loves and that she's contributing to the world in different ways. As the years pass, I'm more and more pleased to be a fan of hers. One can't tell when a skater is twelve years old how he or she will turn out, and I feel that from sheer dumb luck, I happened to choose a skater who will always be a standout.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm with you, Olympia. I really wish she'd done more skating even after she stopped competing. While she can't jump like she used to, her spiral is still to die for (on All that Skate). It's too bad pro competitions aren't a thing anymore and she doesn't seem to be as enthusiastic about shows as other skaters. Still, I'm glad she seems to have found her path in life, even if it deprives us selfish fans of more beautiful performances.